Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 25,470Posts
    • 102,824Thanks
    candygirl
    Fast growing plants n shrubs
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    Fast growing plants n shrubs 12th Jun 17 at 6:15 PM
    Hi
    I'm having my garden done soon, n need fast growing , colourful plants n shrubs to fill a corner.Any ideas of any plants or shrubs that are non toxic to dogs? I'm clueless
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Page 1
    • AlexandLauren
    • By AlexandLauren 13th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    AlexandLauren
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    is it a sunny area or shaded?

how big is the corner?

do you want more shrubs than flowers?

do you want low maintenance or don't mind a bit of effort?
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 25,470 Posts
    • 102,824 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    is it a sunny area or shaded?

how big is the corner?

do you want more shrubs than flowers?

do you want low maintenance or don't mind a bit of effort?
    Originally posted by AlexandLauren
    It's about 12ft by 12ft, mostly shaded .I want low maintenance shrubs, both evergreen and colourful.Thanks for your reply ☺
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • AlexandLauren
    • By AlexandLauren 13th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    AlexandLauren
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    If you want evergreen and colourful then i would suggest Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Camelias, Hydrangeas. All very low maintenance and colourful starting in spring through to summer.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 5,224 Posts
    • 5,387 Thanks
    Farway
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    If you want evergreen and colourful then i would suggest Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Camelias, Hydrangeas. All very low maintenance and colourful starting in spring through to summer.
    Good choices but may not be "easy choice" for OP who confesses to being "clueless"

3 of the choices require acidic conditions. I do not know where OP lives but may be in hard water area and thus watering will be forever causing problems with lime

I cannot think of other choices at the moment, why not try RHS plant finder to help narrow it down ?
    • AlexandLauren
    • By AlexandLauren 13th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    AlexandLauren
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    bit of ericaeous compost now and then should help keep the balance. Just thinking they require no pruning and grow fairly quick but not so much that it would cause issues
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 22,391 Posts
    • 87,045 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    bit of ericaeous compost now and then should help keep the balance. Just thinking they require no pruning and grow fairly quick but not so much that it would cause issues
    Sorry, but if it's a really lime-y area that won't work. Used to live in Bath, where you don't see many plants requiring ericaceous conditions, except in Homebase!

Real shade, mainly evergreen, non-toxic and and shrubs for colour is a big ask.

Ignoring the toxicity, because it needs investigation, off the top of my head that's mahonia, garrya, viburnum tinus, berberis darwinii, euonymus, hypericum (maybe) osmanthus burkwoodii....Now I'm stuck! Oh, a fuchsia or two, but not evergreen, nor is hypericum.
    Working subliminally.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog-or-puppy/general-advice-about-caring-for-your-new-puppy-or-dog/puppy-environment/house-and-garden-plants-poisonous-to-dogs/
    • juliesname
    • By juliesname 16th Jun 17, 12:54 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    juliesname
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:54 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 12:54 AM
    Don't know about the toxicity, but I suggest these:
    Shrubs - Skimmia, Choisya, Pieris
    Bulbs - Chionodoxa, bluebells
    Perennials - herbaceous geraniums, schizostylis, Japanese anemones. Forget-me-nots biennial but will self-seed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

353Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin