Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 5,834Posts
    • 19,783Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy's paying off my debt and finding a way to earn £200 a month from home?!
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    Missy's paying off my debt and finding a way to earn £200 a month from home?! 12th Jun 17 at 6:03 PM
    Hey everyone!

Thanks for coming over!

Basically, I need to pay for my debts of around £6000! I can't even tel you what I've spent it on?! Absolutely crazy! And I really need to give up work. It's making me ill I worry/stress so much. I'd like to be at home more with my two littlies too. So getting another job isn't an option either As OH works away. So basically I need to pay off my debts by any way possible (please insert your lovely ideas below!!!) and I need to bring the shopping/petrol budget down by £200 and I need to make another £200 to be able to give up work. Not asking a lot am I?!

I have a few ideas.... Will do a more Indepth post shortly. But I would love your ideas, enthusiasm and encouragement, not sure if this can even be done!!!

Much love

Missy
Page 1
    • affordmylife
    • By affordmylife 12th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    affordmylife
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    I have no idea how but I'd like to do the same. I have just under £4,000 debt and need to pay that off but also need an income of approx £600 to just maintain life x
    £4,000 personal debt

£500/£4,000 12.5% paid off. It's a start.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 12th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    datlex
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    You could earn a little Swagbucking, making sure you take advantage of offers on things you buy etc. Check out the boost your income thread and the make £10 a day thread.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 19,783 Thanks
    missymoo81
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    Oooh thanks datlex, I forgot about the make £10 a day thread! Oooh join in for the ride afford my life.

Going to do some home truths in a bit, it's not going to be pretty....
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 19,783 Thanks
    missymoo81
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    Ok so reality check, yes I know what I have spent the £6k on, it's been presents and keeping up with the Jones's! Ridiculous right?! You could say I have had my lightbulb moment! I'm currently making a list and a plan of action!

So stay with it! It's going to be good!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 12th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    I'm all eyes
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Profligate
    • By Profligate 12th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Profligate
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    Hi Missy,

Some quick ideas (and I see that you've been posting for a while so apologies if you've already done everything suggested below!) ....

The DFW experts usually advise people to post their income & expenditure so everyone can suggest places to cut down/ cut out .
    Or, if you prefer -and you've not already done this- take a look at Martin's Money Makeover info - and save yourself potentially hundreds of pounds

Any money you 'earn' via getting better deals etc can be thrown at your debt

If you give up work, will you be entitled to tax credits, maybe? You may not if your OH is a high earner, but it's worth checking out - have a look at Citizens Advice to check eligibility or Entitledto.com

Re your debt - are you paying it back as efficiently as possible? Look at the snowball calculator at what's thecost.com

Cutting down on petrol & grocery costs - consider getting food shopping delivered, helping you to fix a food budget and avoid using petrol.

On that note do you absolutely need a car? Could save you lots of money if you get rid of it....

Hope some of that is useful
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 21,930 Thanks
    jwil
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    Good luck missy
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 8,195 Posts
    • 42,582 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    OK - lightbulb moment - are you absolutely sure? You've got 6k of debt but you're saying you "need" to give up work. Nope, sorry, you might "want" to give up work, but until you've got your finances under control, how is losing your current income going to help? Perhaps what you "need" is a change of job, to something that won't make you so stressed? Or maybe you need to change your mindset in terms of the job you have - are you putting pressure on yourself in some way that means you're getting more stressed? Being able to spend more time with your children as they're growing up would be lovely, but I expect you also want to be able to give them the fun days out, holidays, and nice clothes that they will all too soon be telling you that their friends are enjoying? I think you need to strike a balance, and for that, the first thing is to get a working budget in place.

As Profligate says above, get your SOA (Statement of affairs) posted - you've been around the boards for a while so I reckon you know the drill, but make it as accurate to the way things are right now as you can - go back over bank and card statements to make sure you don't miss stuff.

Cut those credit cards up. Your budget - once tweaked, will include things like presents, and you don't need to keep up with the Joneses or anyone else for that matter, until you've got your debt paid off!

Can it be done? Yes - of course it can, but I think it's going to take a change of mindset from the way you're looking at things at the moment, to be honest.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 12,402 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    sourcrates
    No magic solutions I'm afraid, stay in your job, or get a part time one perhaps ?

Not a good idea giving up work when you have debt, we all get stressed at times, staying at home looking after the littlies ain't all it's cracked up to be I can tell you.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Brianakagenius
    • By Brianakagenius 13th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brianakagenius
    Hi my name is brian. I'm also in the same situation as you are in, I just lost my dad and I have 2 babies coming soon . so I need any ideas on how to make money and be able to support the 2 babies comming soon
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 12,402 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi my name is brian. I'm also in the same situation as you are in, I just lost my dad and I have 2 babies coming soon . so I need any ideas on how to make money and be able to support the 2 babies comming soon
    Originally posted by Brianakagenius
    Work Brian, or rob a bank, win the lottery perhaps ?

I don't know any other way, sorry.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 13th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    Ilona
    For Brian and Missy. Stay in your job if you already have one. Find a job if you don't have one. Look for part time work to fit in with your full time job. Only spend your money on what you need. Rent/mortgage, council tax, utilities, car to get to work, and food. Everything else is a want. Pay as much as you can towards your debts to shrink them faster. Sorted.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 14th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Spend less than you earn.

Then find ways to:
    - earn more
    - spend less

It's maths, not magic.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin