Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whizzing
    • By whizzing 12th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 296Posts
    • 188Thanks
    whizzing
    Am I stuck with Virgin?
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    Am I stuck with Virgin? 12th Jun 17 at 5:59 PM
    I have had a Cash ISA for a number of years. I have moved it most years to get a better interest rate. It has about £20k in it. I do not own a house. In tax year 2015/16 my cash ISA was with Virgin. In 2016/17 I left my cash ISA there but put no money into it. Instead I opened a HTB ISA also with Virgin and put in £200 a month. I am still doing this. Now however I would like to move my cash ISA with Virgin elsewhere. I looked up who took transfers in and choose a bank from this. However in order to open an account with this bank they want me to pay in a deposit. Then I could transfer my cash ISA to them. BUT I don't think I am allowed to pay a deposit into the new cash ISA bank as I have paid into my HTB Isa this year and will be continuing to do so. Am I right and will I find a Bank that doesn't want a deposit before I do the transfer?? If not I am stuck with having my Cash Isa with Virgin.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 4,507 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    If you say which bank you're looking to transfer into then someone may be able to advise from personal experience - I seem to recall from previous posts on this subject that some providers suggest/imply a new-money deposit may be needed but a transfer subsequently proves to be adequate. Have you asked them?

You're right that you can't pay in a new-money deposit to a cash ISA in the same tax year as contributing to your HTB ISA though so will need to find a way round this.
    • whizzing
    • By whizzing 12th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    whizzing
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    Usually I just do it all on line but I will give them a ring. I think it was the Post Office I had decided upon but the ISA is in a fixed term at the moment and doesn't mature until next month and sometimes the best one at one point is not the best a month later. Going for variable this time as I think will need the money or at least some of it in the next year.
    Am I right in thinking that the HTB Isa always beats the Cash Isa no matter the interest rate if I can only save a few £k's a year? I will probably open a LISA soon. Maybe I shouldn't have put many into my HTB Isa this year but ......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

666Posts Today

6,282Users online

Martin's Twitter