Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 12th Jun 17, 5:56 PM
    • 373Posts
    • 261Thanks
    bartelbe
    Ebay sellers don't understand distance selling
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:56 PM
    Ebay sellers don't understand distance selling 12th Jun 17 at 5:56 PM
    Bit of a rant about ebay sellers and their inability to describe condition properly. Putting up a few blurry photos and writing good condition for age is useless.

I don't know if this is laziness or trying to sell goods they know are in a poor condition.

The latest example of this is trying to buy a used car part. Now to be any good it has to be in tight tolerances or sellers are just selling a useless paperweight.

Trying to get more detail from sellers is like trying to get blood out of a stone. The only response I got was a generic all good, which didn't answer my question. The rest just ignored my request for information.

Of course these same sellers will complain when buyers use paypal and ebay protections to send back their items. Rant over.
Page 1
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 12th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    Easy: buy from someone else.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    not just ebay, look on Facebook selling groups, sellers seem to ignore that fact buyers want to see pics of what they are selling and how much they want.

The amount i remove from my selling group that will say item in good condition and then use a pic from Argos or other online stores or say PM me for price and pics. how hard can it be to add a pic and price of the thing they are selling.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 12th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    not just ebay, look on Facebook selling groups, sellers seem to ignore that fact buyers want to see pics of what they are selling and how much they want.

The amount i remove from my selling group that will say item in good condition and then use a pic from Argos or other online stores or say PM me for price and pics. how hard can it be to add a pic and price of the thing they are selling.
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    How hard...clearly too hard for many! It's surprising how many people do have trouble with any sort to attachment/addition such as downloading and adding a picture or screenshot. What's simple and obvious to one person is a huge stumbling block for another, I guess.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    How hard...clearly too hard for many! It's surprising how many people do have trouble with any sort to attachment/addition such as downloading and adding a picture or screenshot. What's simple and obvious to one person is a huge stumbling block for another, I guess.
    Originally posted by Tealblue
    another one is the 'where can i get a ** from' or does anyone know if ** is open today' have these people not heard of google or are they that lazy they want others to search for them as in the time it takes them to write the question they could find the answer on google
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 12th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 2,855 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    another one is the 'where can i get a ** from' or does anyone know if ** is open today' have these people not heard of google or are they that lazy they want others to search for them as in the time it takes them to write the question they could find the answer on google
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    The latter one I can understand, as not every business has their opening hours properly described online - especially when it's a local holiday or something unusual is happening, eg renovations.
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    Have a look at the errors in this listing with regard to condition:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232368610169

It's a very heavy item that would be moved by special courier or on a pallet so if the seller gets it wrong (which they have), it could really come back to bite them on the !!!.

It's described as seller refurbished and then explains it was the owner before them that had it refurbed.

So hold on a minute, does that mean that when an item is refurbed, it can then be described as refurbed for life?

Secondly it has screen burn. Someone could ask is screen burn could be dealt with (or not?) in a refurb.

Finally, when he went to move it for the sale, the sound stopped working. So is it now, "broken, not working, for parts" or "seller refurbed"?

Is the ad listing building the buyer up to think the loss of sound is just a loose connection because it literally just happened, when in fact he could have moved it away from the wall which tugged on the 240v supply socket which sparked and sent a power surge through the audio circuits and fried them beyond repair?

If he literally just moved the item and the sound went off, and it's such a minor thing, why doesn't he or she open it up and see what it was?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 13th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    Have a look at the errors in this listing with regard to condition:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232368610169

It's a very heavy item that would be moved by special courier or on a pallet so if the seller gets it wrong (which they have), it could really come back to bite them on the !!!.

It's described as seller refurbished and then explains it was the owner before them that had it refurbed.

So hold on a minute, does that mean that when an item is refurbed, it can then be described as refurbed for life?

Secondly it has screen burn. Someone could ask is screen burn could be dealt with (or not?) in a refurb.

Finally, when he went to move it for the sale, the sound stopped working. So is it now, "broken, not working, for parts" or "seller refurbed"?

Is the ad listing building the buyer up to think the loss of sound is just a loose connection because it literally just happened, when in fact he could have moved it away from the wall which tugged on the 240v supply socket which sparked and sent a power surge through the audio circuits and fried them beyond repair?

If he literally just moved the item and the sound went off, and it's such a minor thing, why doesn't he or she open it up and see what it was?
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Funny that such an 'incompetent' seller has 100% positive feedback - and plenty of it! I thought his description was spot on: it 'it's just gone wrong and don't know why'.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    I thought his description was spot on: it 'it's just gone wrong and don't know why'.

Why isn't it in the title instead of "Seller Refurbished"? That's the whole point of my post.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,975Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin