Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 20poppies
    • By 20poppies 12th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    20poppies
    Changes to Loft Conversion
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    Changes to Loft Conversion 12th Jun 17 at 5:28 PM
    Last year I purchased a bungalow and my solicitor was unable to locate any building permission documentation. As the conversion had been carried out probably 35 to 40 years ago he suggested an indemnity policy and completion went ahead. The conversion has a proper staircase fitted and the building survey did not throw up any problems. The conversion however only has two velux windows, one on each side of the roof. I live in a conservation area (not listed) and would like to have one of the velux windows changed to a dormer window. I would also like to have a shower and toilet fitted. Obviously I need to apply for permission to the local planning department but as there are no records of the loft conversion being carried out, I am unsure what the outcome will be. I would be grateful for any advice.
Page 1
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 12th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    Not sure this is the right forum for this post but my advice would be that when you apply for permission the planning officers will consider the application as is i.e. it doesn't matter if planning approval was not previously sought. Adding roof windows falls under permitted development anyway so there shouldn't be any planning concerns.

You may have issues when you submit your Building Control application as they will want to confirm the stairs etc comply with the building regulations. I would recommend engaging with a local architect who will be able to guide you through the process and advise the best way forward.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 39,653 Posts
    • 45,165 Thanks
    G_M
    The Planners will look at what's existing, and what is proposed, and decide if the proposed change (the current one) is in keeping with the Conservation Area.

After 35 years, they will not be interested in retrospective enforcement.
    Adding roof windows falls under permitted development anyway so there shouldn't be any planning concerns.
    Not neccessarily in a Conservation Area.
    • 20poppies
    • By 20poppies 12th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    20poppies
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    Thankyou, that is very helpful.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 4,225 Posts
    • 17,269 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    You're more likely to have success I think if the dormer is at the back rather than the front.
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 12th Jun 17, 6:26 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:26 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:26 PM
    Our conservation area (well, town preservation area) does not have any permitted developments by right so things all have to be applied for.

Even so, I think dormers are almost always going to be approved - I am sure the majority of your bungalow neighbours will have dormers to the front if you start looking around. They are not seen as eyesores or unusual.
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 12th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    Not neccessarily in a Conservation Area.
    Originally posted by G_M
    You're right in conservation areas which have an 'Article 4 direction' removing the rights for permitted development. However this varies with every LA and not always the case so always worth checking. Even with an Article 4 direction some LA allow conservation type roof windows.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,912Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter