Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneySavingMole
    • By MoneySavingMole 12th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 50Posts
    • 14Thanks
    MoneySavingMole
    Best UK Banking App, 2017?
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    Best UK Banking App, 2017? 12th Jun 17 at 5:05 PM
    Hello,
    I currently bank with Natwest (my current account, which my wages are paid in to) and Halifax (tied in with my Mortgage until May 2018).

I, like many others, use my Smartphone to bank using the apps, or online using my laptop and I am considering changing to a different bank for a few reasons...

1. There's cash incentives to try them - who doesn't like free money?
    2. I've had a few instances in the last few months where I've wished to pay somebody 'new' and the Natwest app will only allow me to a set value and does not 'save' the contact.
    3. I quite fancy a new banking app, something a bit different, which may entice me to be more savvy with my banking.

So,
    - Does anybody particularly recommend their banking apps?
    - Has anybody used Monza?
    - What is the FirstDirect banking app like? I know their customer service is 90% but I'd like genuine feedback about the apps usability etc.
    - is the Barclays app really as good as the reviews say?

Thanks for your time.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Started out with £80,995 over 25 years - Currently £69,000+/- over 19 years!

Best MoneySaving Moments of 2017?
    - Received £673 for a delayed RyanAir flight by using Bott&Co
    - Saved £241 on Tyres using blackcircles.com
Page 1
    • mrmajika
    • By mrmajika 12th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    mrmajika
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    The Barclays app is probably the best I've used, and I've used several. Having said that, I also rate the RBS one very highly, which should be identical to the Nat west one.

The FD one has came on a bit in recent years, but is still quite poor by modern standards.
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right!
    • colsten
    • By colsten 12th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 8,723 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    colsten
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    It's easy enough to set up new current accounts, so you can find out for yourself what you like or dislike. Personally, I love the Tesco app. Uncluttered, clear layout, touch ID enabled, can add new payee in the app. I have all the others, too, but rarely use any of the others. I find the Santander one particularly annoying as it still doesn't have touch ID log in.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 12th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    datlex
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    Out if the apps I have I like the Barclays and Tesco apps both are easy to use with clear layouts. I like the chat option in the Barclays app that lets you sort problems out and the cloud it.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 12th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    Another vote for Barclays - best by far.
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 13th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    I have and use mobile banking from Barclays, Lloyds, RBS/NatWest, Halifax and few credit cards only.

Barclays is by far the best app
    • benjus
    • By benjus 13th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    benjus
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    Another vote for Barclays. They also seem to be more innovative than most, e.g. they are currently running a pilot for paying in cheques via the app.

First Direct used to be way behind, but it's not so bad now. Still not up there with the best though.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 13th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    The two I use are Barclays and Tesco, both are good but I think Barclays is the better of the two, much more intuitive than Tesco.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Sean473
    • By Sean473 13th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Sean473
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    The Santander app is really good!
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 14th Jun 17, 7:37 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sausage_time
    RBS - fingerprint access, and withdraw cash from an ATM with no card. Both features I seem to use a lot!
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 14th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    RBS - fingerprint access, and withdraw cash from an ATM with no card. Both features I seem to use a lot!
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    Last time I withdrew money from an ATM without a card, the judge took a very dim view of it.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,586Posts Today

7,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin