Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rosiejk94
    • By Rosiejk94 12th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rosiejk94
    No Building Regulation Certificate on initial build
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    No Building Regulation Certificate on initial build 12th Jun 17 at 4:48 PM
    Hello,

I am days off completion buying my first house.
    I have been informed that the seller and their solicitor 'can't find' the Building Regulation Certificate - this is for the initial build of the house (about 12 years ago)
    They have the planning permission.

My solicitors have told me that the lender would not accept lack of building regulations indemnity policy.
    Therefore they would have to get Retrospective Building Regulation Consent.

I am unsure as to whether to proceed with the purchase as I could imagine getting the retrospective consent on a full house would take a tong time. I am not even sure if they would agree to do it as the identical house next door sold at auction and they could think that as an easier option.

Any advise would be appreciated!
Page 1
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 12th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    Have you tried contacting your Local Authority Building Control to see if they have any records of the application. Even though it was quite a while ago they should have some record of it.
    • Rosiejk94
    • By Rosiejk94 12th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosiejk94
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    i have been informed that it didn't come up on the local searches with the council...
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 7,738 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    Completion or exchange?
    Was this a small scale build?
    • Rosiejk94
    • By Rosiejk94 12th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosiejk94
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    Sorry exchange.
    it was a build of two 3 story 3 bedroom houses
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 12th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    i have been informed that it didn't come up on the local searches with the council...
    Originally posted by Rosiejk94
    I would call the LA up. It may just not be on their online system. As its a really old application it may be in their archive. If they do not still have any record then it is unlikely that an application was submitted.
    • Rosiejk94
    • By Rosiejk94 12th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosiejk94
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    Would they release this information to me or would i have to ask my solicitor to call?
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 12th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    Would they release this information to me or would i have to ask my solicitor to call?
    Its public information so yes they should. Just explain your reason for calling and they should be happy to help. Should only take them a couple of minutes.

I would try and find what address the planning application was submitted under because if it is a new build it may not have had the same postal address as it has now.
    • Rosiejk94
    • By Rosiejk94 12th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosiejk94
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    I will give that a try, thank you!
    i was also considering it may have been put under the other house.
    • Imelda
    • By Imelda 12th Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    Imelda
    You could also try NHBC to see if they issued the BRegs
    Saving for an early retirement!
    • Rosiejk94
    • By Rosiejk94 12th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosiejk94
    I have been looking on the internet and all of the documents and conversations the council hold regarding the development are put on the original house... the two new dwellings were built on the land of the 3rd house.
    I am going to find out if there is a possibility the building regulations certificate are under that house.

Obviously the local searches to find this info with the council would have been looked up under this house number and not the original
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 12th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    I have been looking on the internet and all of the documents and conversations the council hold regarding the development are put on the original house... the two new dwellings were built on the land of the 3rd house.
    I am going to find out if there is a possibility the building regulations certificate are under that house.

Obviously the local searches to find this info with the council would have been looked up under this house number and not the original
    Yes, postal numbers are normally only applied for once the building has been completed, post building regulation approval. If this is the answer I am surprised your solicitor did not pick up on this.
    • Rosiejk94
    • By Rosiejk94 12th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosiejk94
    I will double check tomorrow!
    Fingers crossed it's as easy as that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,323Posts Today

7,296Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin