Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kkudi
    • By kkudi 12th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kkudi
    Application to drop the kerb
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    Application to drop the kerb 12th Jun 17 at 4:39 PM
    I just bought a car and I find it extremely hard to park on my road, despite the existence of a CPZ. The problem is particularly prevalent on weekends, especially on Saturdays. The CPZ is only enforceable Mon-Fri 10am-12pm.

Now onto my question...

My front garden is big enough to accommodate a medium sized car. Its dimensions are 5m wide and 4.4 metres long from the back of the pavement to my bay windows, and 4.90m from the back of the pavement to the beginning of the first line boundary. I'm attaching a diagram to help illustrate the front garden area with dimensions. It's on imgur with id kU2FI (sorry cannot post links)

Now, on the street I live, there's about a dozen houses with dropped kerbs/off-street with very similar front garden dimensions. There's even a couple of houses whereby the length is even smaller than 4m and they have dropped kerbs with yellow lines painted on the road. They have to park the car diagonally otherwise it would overflow by more than a foot!

I have been over to the council website and it clearly states "The minimum depth from the back of the footway to your building line must be 4.80 metres".

I tick all other boxes except this one. There are no street lights, there are no trees, no street furniture or anything unusual. I believe there are no services that would need moving either, so all in all a pretty straightforward application.

Now, applying costs £294 and that's for an engineer to come out and inspect the site before they approve/reject and quote for dropping the kerb. In your expert opinion, what are my options here? Is it worth taking the plunge for putting an application in and if it gets rejected (which I think it will because of the minimum depth requirement), appeal on the grounds of other houses having one? Has anyone else been in the same situation and had their application reconsidered following a rejection?

I just find it unfair that houses on the road have exactly what I want to have and it seems that I cannot under these strict rules.
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 12th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 7,403 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    A dropped Kerb isn't a parking ticket!

Please get this moved to an appropriate forum.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 5,502 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    A dropped Kerb isn't a parking ticket!

Please get this moved to an appropriate forum.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    The forum is called "...and Parking", so I think this is the right forum.
    • kkudi
    • By kkudi 12th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kkudi
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    I couldn't find a more relevant section in the forum. If there is, by all means please do move it.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 12th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 7,376 Posts
    • 7,403 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    Most dropped kerb/planning issue threads go in the Home/Housing Forums, - you need a board guide to get the thread moved.
    • kkudi
    • By kkudi 13th Jun 17, 7:08 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kkudi
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:08 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:08 AM
    is anyone able to move this to the right forum please?
    • amersall
    • By amersall 13th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    • 16,656 Posts
    • 18,702 Thanks
    amersall
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    Just repost here, copy and paste.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39&order=desc&page=5

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,166Posts Today

9,774Users online

Martin's Twitter