Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chocgirl
    • By chocgirl 12th Jun 17, 3:47 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 683Thanks
    chocgirl
    0 WOW
    Japan Holiday - Spending Advice Needed
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Japan Holiday - Spending Advice Needed 12th Jun 17 at 3:47 PM
    Hi
    We are going on honeymoon to Japan in September this year. We are visiting Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Osaka. My main question is that I keep reading that many places do not accept cards so to carry cash. We are primarily going for the food experience and also to soak up the atmosphere in the different places.
    How much cash would we need though for 2 weeks? I know that is difficult to say as different people spend differently but just an idea would be great.
    I am aware that as we envisage primarily visiting street food places and smaller restaurants we will definitely need cash for those.
    Should we have all the cash we anticipate we need and a bit more exchanged into Yen to take out before we go or should we get enough for the first few days and then get a travel credit card (eg Barclaycard Platinum Travel) to withdraw cash from ATMs after the first few days?
    Has anybody been recently who can advise on the current situation? I lot of the websites I'm seeing are a few years old.
    We are going in September, so if we need to get a travel credit card I'm probably looking at applying in the next month or so.
    How easy is it to find an ATM which will take an international card?
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • blindman
    • By blindman 12th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 4,976 Posts
    • 4,005 Thanks
    blindman
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    Hi
    We are going on honeymoon to Japan in September this year.
    We are visiting Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Osaka.

My main question is that I keep reading that many places do not accept cards so to carry cash.
    Originally posted by chocgirl
    Where are you reading that?

Did a similar itinerary a few years back and had no problems.

I do remember reading that in the off the beaten track location then Credit cards are not widely accepted.

But major cities you should have no problem.

Enjoy!
    • chocgirl
    • By chocgirl 12th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    chocgirl
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    Thanks blind man
    So we should be ok to take enough cash with us for a few days and then withdraw more or pay on card?
    • blindman
    • By blindman 12th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    • 4,976 Posts
    • 4,005 Thanks
    blindman
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    Thanks blindman
    So we should be ok to take enough cash with us for a few days and then withdraw more or pay on card?
    That's my MO-Cash for day 1 then spend everything on the credit once in location

Good web-site
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 12th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    International ATM everywhere. Post Offices/Japan Post Bank and Seven Bank/7-11.

https://www.kyotostation.com/atm-cash-machines-currency-exchange-at-kyoto-station/
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 12th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    Slightly off topic but you should look at getting a JR Pass for the train travel. It has to be purchased before you enter the country but would save a fortune on your train travel.

http://www.japanrailpass.net

There's also a very good website for train times - http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

I used cash when I visited but that was before I had a decent overseas card so was the cheapest option at that time.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 12th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    Hunt out 7/11s, they're your best friend for ATMs and great snacks, supermarkets in Japan are awesome.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 12th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    • 5,485 Posts
    • 22,939 Thanks
    Miró
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    Hi, I visited the places you mentioned in November last year and had no problems with credit cards or ATM's. I agree re the 7/11 shops...some great snack foods available especially if you have a sweet tooth! The vending machines are good for drinks both hot and cold too. Do bear in mind that things do tend to be more expensive in Japan tho.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • asajj
    • By asajj 12th Jun 17, 11:59 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 10,306 Thanks
    asajj
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:59 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:59 PM
    Agree above and for JR travel pass. Big money saver too.
    We used WeSwap and got very good rates and it was accepted pretty much everywhere.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • chocgirl
    • By chocgirl 13th Jun 17, 8:58 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    chocgirl
    Fantastic thanks all - I was worrying a bit but I'll organise my application for overseas card this week.
    Yes we are on an organised trip with a partial itinerary but includes a JR pass for the two weeks.
    The 7-11s sound like they will be a lifesaver!! Will also hunt out a supermarket as well. I am bad enough in a UK supermarket so that will be brill!
    Thank you al for your advice. If anybody has any more tips then please tell all!
    Now for the rucksack shopping....
    Last edited by chocgirl; 13-06-2017 at 9:00 AM.
    • chocgirl
    • By chocgirl 13th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    chocgirl
    I had never heard of WeSwap but I am looking now!
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    I had never heard of WeSwap but I am looking now!
    Forget about it. Monzo
    Refer to post #5 too.
    • chocgirl
    • By chocgirl 13th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    chocgirl
    Thanks yes after some googling I think I am edging monzo but had completely forgotten about prepaid cards!
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Since you have time, you should definitely have a travel credit card, from Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, Santander Zero, Barclay Travel Platinum...
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 19th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 3,427 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    I was there a few years ago, organised tour. Most lunchtimes we ate at small cafes, some seemed to be in a room of people's homes ! We always paid cash in those places. Evenings in larger towns meant larger restaurants and no trouble using cards. We travelled by coach and I'm now a fan of their service stations - never seen so many vending machines !
    • Liliwanderlust
    • By Liliwanderlust 24th Jul 17, 2:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Liliwanderlust
    Spending advice
    Japanese people tend to pay things cash, and sometimes, even in Tokyo, restaurants don't take cards and can have a hard time using foreign cards. Don't even think about using your debit card.
    For lunch, you can get by on 1,000-2,000 YEN per person for something very decent. But for dinner, it's harder to say, as it depends on whether you're going to an expensive dinner and if you drink alcohol or not. For an izakaya, it can be around 3,000 YEN, but you can easily pay up to 10,000 per person per meal.
    This website tends to be quite helpful for finding restaurants:
    favy-jp
    Last edited by Liliwanderlust; 24-07-2017 at 3:04 AM.
    • beeg0d
    • By beeg0d 24th Jul 17, 8:06 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    beeg0d
    Supprisingly one thing nobody has mentioned yet with the Japeneese food culture is department stores. In the basement of any department store in Japan is their food hall, and entire floor (sometimes 2) full of prepared hot and cold food pretty much the entire of japeneese cusiene can be experenced in these places. personally i recommend Mitsukoshi in Ginza, Tokyo.

As far as the ops origional question gose. In the major citys cards are taken in major restruants but the smaller 10 seat ones (makes up 90% of the restruants in Tokyo) are cash only. There are 2 types of ATMs in Japan, ones that require 6 digit pins (usless for UK cards) and "international" 4 digit machines. All the 7-11 machines take 4 digit pins (you'll find a 7-11 every 100-200 meters so that should be all you need) i beleave the post office (Yūbinkyoku) ones also take 4 digit pins but most (though not all) bank machines require 6 digits
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

326Posts Today

1,956Users online

Martin's Twitter