Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 12th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    • 6,895Posts
    • 11,335Thanks
    andrewf75
    corrugated garage roof - asbestos or not?
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    corrugated garage roof - asbestos or not? 12th Jun 17 at 2:53 PM
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to tell whether corrugated sheets are asbestos based or not without sending off a sample?
    and if not, then how do I break off a sample safely?!

Thanks!
Page 2
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 15th Jun 17, 11:48 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 1,407 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Also I have done enough research to know that the stuff used in these roofing sheets is not the really lethal stuff.
    Originally posted by andrewf75
    Unfortunately this is one of the problems with the DIY approach. All forms of asbestos commonly used in building products have the potential to cause mesothelioma - which is deadly.

Assuming your roofing product doesn't contain the 'really lethal stuff' could be a fatal decision.

Unless the material is sampled and tested there is no way of knowing which type of asbestos fibre (if any) was used in an asbestos cement product like roofing sheets. Some fibre types are more likely to be used in particular types of products than other fibre types, but which type you are dealing with can only be confirmed by testing.

Sadly there will be people dying from mesothelioma in the future who will say they only ever came into contact with asbestos cement products and thought they were 'safe'.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Niv
    • By Niv 16th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    Niv
    Even if the asbestos cement is predominantly white asbestos I have found blue in cement too, so best not to assume it is only white.
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 16th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 6,895 Posts
    • 11,335 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Well thanks for the advice. Don't think I am going to touch the stuff (and I never was until I was sure anyway) just wanted to know more about it before approaching companies as I have heard of people getting charged huge fees for removal.
    Niv- given the state the sheets are in would you say it is actually dangerous and urgently in need of doing? Don't want to be taking risks by simply going into the garage.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 16th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 1,407 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Even if the asbestos cement is predominantly white asbestos I have found blue in cement too, so best not to assume it is only white.
    Originally posted by Niv
    Exactly, which is why the advice in these comments is really bad advice -
    Post a picture on here & somebody will be along with an informed guess as to what it is.
    I would not waste £40.00 finding out if it was asbestos cement sheeting.
    Just treat it as such........with sensible precautions
    I would do the job youself.
    Originally posted by firefox1956
    It's safe to remove yourself, just find bags big enough....Can you get access to them to use a hacksaw or other cutting implement?
    Originally posted by stator
    Also I have done enough research to know that the stuff used in these roofing sheets is not the really lethal stuff.
    Whereas the comment -
    The sheets have cracked so badly you can see major daylight through it. It has been deteriorating gradually over the last few years.
    ...screams out that this is not a job for a DIYer to even consider unless the material is tested and confirmed not to contain any kind of asbestos.

This site is about money saving - but there are some things in life where saving money should not come in to the decision at all.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Niv
    • By Niv 16th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    Niv
    Well thanks for the advice. Don't think I am going to touch the stuff (and I never was until I was sure anyway) just wanted to know more about it before approaching companies as I have heard of people getting charged huge fees for removal.
    Niv- given the state the sheets are in would you say it is actually dangerous and urgently in need of doing? Don't want to be taking risks by simply going into the garage.

I personally wouldn't choose to spend time in the vicinity if the sheets are badly damaged. You need to arrange for a clean up as it is only going to deteriorate further and quicker if it is now damaged. It is cement so is not the most expensive clean up if that is any comfort. At least it is outside so no need for enclosures too, which is also time consuming and so would add to the cost.
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 16th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 6,895 Posts
    • 11,335 Thanks
    andrewf75
    I personally wouldn't choose to spend time in the vicinity if the sheets are badly damaged. You need to arrange for a clean up as it is only going to deteriorate further and quicker if it is now damaged. It is cement so is not the most expensive clean up if that is any comfort. At least it is outside so no need for enclosures too, which is also time consuming and so would add to the cost.
    Originally posted by Niv
    Right, will get on the case immediately and get someone in to remove and replace. It is not somewhere anyone spends any time, just a dumping ground for stuff, but don't want to take any chances.
    Thanks all.
    Last edited by andrewf75; 16-06-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,573Posts Today

7,688Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin