Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • traveladdict98
    • By traveladdict98 12th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    traveladdict98
    Does an employer have to honour booked holidays if you mentioned it at interview?
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    Does an employer have to honour booked holidays if you mentioned it at interview? 12th Jun 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello,

I've recently been offered a new job & accepted starting 11th July.

In my interview I was asked if I had any upcoming holidays in which I replied 2 weeks in Aug and 1 week in Sept

I have accepted the offer of the job, and before hand I sent this email and I've pasted the response too:

Me: I do have one question I would just like to clarify before handing my notice in.

In the interview, I was asked about any upcoming holidays which I replied to that I have a 2 week holiday booked in Aug and 1 week in Sept.

Really, I just wanted to double check this would be ok as I realised that I will be only with **** for 3 weeks before the holiday. The dates are 31st July to 14th Aug as if it were to be a problem I am happy to start after my holiday in Aug.

If you could just confirm if this would be an issue or not that would be great.

Then here is the reply

Hi Fern

I have spoken with *** and he advised that his preference would be for you to start on the agreed date.

He has advised that on starting you will be entitled to 16 days paid leave in the 2017/18 cycle if we retain the agreed start date (our annual leave period is from 1st March to the 28th February). If your booked holidays exceed this then some days may have to be taken unpaid which we are happy to accommodate.

Am I just overthinking all of this or am I correct??

It just seems so unlikely a company is going to let me take all that annual leave 3 weeks into a new job please someone offer me advise who works in the field as I'm not sure if I can even refuse the job now due to signing the contract and may not be able to retract handing my notice in, I'm really worried as this is thousands of pound of financial loss if they turn around and say no to the holidays...help?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    You have asked a question & they have answered it really. The only thing you have to consider is that you will have 1 days leave between the end of your September leave & February, so if your employer closes down over the festive period you may have to take unpaid leave.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 12th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    Does an employer have to honour booked holidays if you mentioned it at interview?
    Yes, providing it was part of the agreement of you accepting the job.

However, keep in mind they don't have to continue to employ you!
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 12th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    I can't see a problem as you have been completely up front about it. It would be worth just gently reminding your boss about your holiday when you start.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 12th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    I think you have handled this well. You asked about holidays and they have agreed to give them to you, some days may be unpaid but you may have unused holidays in your last job and the money for those will help against any unpaid holidays.
    If you were to leave before the end of Feb then you may have to reimburse the company as you will have taken too many days holidays.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 12th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 15,941 Posts
    • 39,731 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    It's no big deal. They don't care if you take almost all your holiday earlier on in employment, it just means you won't have much left to take for the rest of their financial year, which might actually suit them.

If you were to leave/be dismissed early and they overpaid you, they would just deduct it from your last pay.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 12th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    TyreLever
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    The job I am in now I was there for only 1 week before taking 2 weeks off. This 2 week period also happened to fall on a period the employer was not approving any holidays. The course I had booked months in advance and cost me quite a bit and therefore unavoidable. I just had to show proof of this for the time off to be honoured. Obviously it was taken unpaid but it was a relief knowing I had a job to come back to.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding being allowed to take the holiday you have already booked. The company has said they will honour them, but part of the time off may have to be unpaid.
    • PossiblyOverworked
    • By PossiblyOverworked 12th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PossiblyOverworked
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    If you are happy to take it unpaid (since you won't have accrued that holiday) it seems like they are happy to accommodate that - did you have any feeling from the interview when you discussed it that it might be "problematic" in some way?

To be honest as a new starter you normally wouldn't be "business critical" in those first few weeks (as you have to get trained up etc) depending on the job of course. If you were being recruited directly into a 'crisis' situation as Interim Head Of... etc it might be a different matter!

But in answer to your direct question in the title... an employer doesn't have to honour booked holiday as long as they give the required amount of notice to cancel it (assuming it was previously approved) but if your acceptance was contingent on that it would be really bad form. But in your case it sounds like they really do want *you* specifically so good luck! :-) (meant non-sarcastically i.e. good luck with your new job!)
    Last edited by PossiblyOverworked; 12-06-2017 at 4:44 PM.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 12th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 18,727 Posts
    • 19,031 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    I don't see the problem. It looks as if they are happy for you to go on holiday, to use your holiday allowance for the year in advance (quite generous - of course they would recoup the relevant amount if you did leave before the end of Feb) and to take unpaid leave for the balance. Looks as if they are behaving totally fairly!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    • 30,093 Posts
    • 19,049 Thanks
    DCFC79
    You did everything right and you were told it was acceptable.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 12th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Nice to see a newb not getting slaughtered
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 12th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4,877 Posts
    • 6,107 Thanks
    theoretica
    It looks all good to me, but count carefully how many days you will want of holiday for Christmas, Bank holidays etc (if they are included in the 16). It is probably easier for them to give you a week of this already booked holiday as unpaid, than if you ask later for some unpaid days off around Christmas.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Jun 17, 7:05 AM
    • 29,995 Posts
    • 17,927 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Hello,

I've recently been offered a new job & accepted starting 11th July.

In my interview I was asked if I had any upcoming holidays in which I replied 2 weeks in Aug and 1 week in Sept

I have accepted the offer of the job, and before hand I sent this email and I've pasted the response too:

Me: I do have one question I would just like to clarify before handing my notice in.

In the interview, I was asked about any upcoming holidays which I replied to that I have a 2 week holiday booked in Aug and 1 week in Sept.

Really, I just wanted to double check this would be ok as I realised that I will be only with **** for 3 weeks before the holiday. The dates are 31st July to 14th Aug as if it were to be a problem I am happy to start after my holiday in Aug.

If you could just confirm if this would be an issue or not that would be great.

Then here is the reply

Hi Fern

I have spoken with *** and he advised that his preference would be for you to start on the agreed date.

He has advised that on starting you will be entitled to 16 days paid leave in the 2017/18 cycle if we retain the agreed start date (our annual leave period is from 1st March to the 28th February). If your booked holidays exceed this then some days may have to be taken unpaid which we are happy to accommodate.

Am I just overthinking all of this or am I correct??

It just seems so unlikely a company is going to let me take all that annual leave 3 weeks into a new job please someone offer me advise who works in the field as I'm not sure if I can even refuse the job now due to signing the contract and may not be able to retract handing my notice in, I'm really worried as this is thousands of pound of financial loss if they turn around and say no to the holidays...help?
    Originally posted by fernbascombe98

Your basic question has been answered BUT.

That holiday allowance looks wrong.(went red as bold not clear in blue)

What is the full annual holiday allowance? (don't forget BH)

with 11 July start date you will work 33 weeks of the holiday year

28*33/52 = 17.77

There are various adjustments that can be made and still be legal so it will depend on how they want to calculate the allowance and allocate the days and the base allowance, but the basic calc would on the surface appear to be nearly 2 days out.

They may have just taken the 3 weeks holiday off and work on 30 weeks that would be 16.16.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 13-06-2017 at 7:07 AM.
    • traveladdict98
    • By traveladdict98 13th Jun 17, 9:12 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    traveladdict98
    Hi, its 24 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
    • traveladdict98
    • By traveladdict98 13th Jun 17, 9:21 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    traveladdict98
    No, in the interview I simply stated I had 2 weeks in Aug and one week in Sept. They even asked me where I was going on holiday but I didn't tell them the specific dates
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,648Posts Today

8,399Users online

Martin's Twitter