Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rev
    • By Rev 12th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2,973Posts
    • 2,700Thanks
    Rev
    Plex server advice.
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    Plex server advice. 12th Jun 17 at 2:19 PM
    Hope someone can give me some advice. I have an old laptop I've just replaced with a chromebook, it's a HP DM1, so was great for basic browsing etc but the trackpad buttons failed and I fancied trying a chromebook. It seems a shame to just bin the laptop so I'm wondering if I could turn it into a plex server.

Surely if a raspberry pi can be a plex server then this can. I don't need it to sream 1080 or 4K. I onlt have a 42" TV and it's just me using it not a house full of people so it doesn't need to stream several things at once.

I know it wont be powerful enough to transcode anything but I can optimize stuff on the desktop and transfer it to an external drive attached to the laptop.

I've never used linux before but am a quick learner and happy to give it a go. Currently googling openelec to see what that's about and if that would work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rev; 12-06-2017 at 2:25 PM.
    Sigless
Page 2
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 15th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    It was getting my head around the fact that as far as linux is concerned I don't own the external drive until I tell it otherwise so I can't use things like plex to access it until I tell it I can.
    Originally posted by Rev
    Always worth remembering that linux is at heart a multi-user system. ("Proper" multi-user, rather than one-user-at-a-time like windows.) So it just makes sense that you have to tell it who has access to any particular device that's been plugged in - it doesn't automatically assume that any particular user who happens to be logged in at the time automatically owns everything. (Though some desktop environments do try to make it look that way.)

And as I mentioned earlier, system utils and daemons typically run in their own user account (for security), so just because you can access things doesn't necessarily mean that they can (and vice versa). But I don't know about plex specifically.

e.g. I run a thing called tvheadend on an rpi - that runs as user 'hts' and the files it creates (by recording freeview) are owned by that user. So during setup I had to do some configuring to arrange that they can be accessed by, eg, my web server.
    • Rev
    • By Rev 15th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    Rev
    have spent the morning googling how to share the drive to the network so I can access it on my desktop and it's baffling me.

I go to join network or whatever it is, input everything it asks for then it says "Failed to mount Windows share: Invalid argument"

For the average user I can absolutely see why they just stick with windows. Everything in linux is 100x harder.
    Sigless
    • Rev
    • By Rev 15th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    Rev
    Now it's changed to failed to mount windows share connection timed out

There's no way something as simple as sharing a drive on the home network should be this difficult.

Think I'll just give up and go back to windows. At least I don't have to jump through 100 hoops to do a basic thing like have plex view an external drive or share a drive to the network.

It's completely exasperating.
    Sigless
    • toshi
    • By toshi 15th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    toshi
    Hahaha, Wow what a progress! Now you are challenging multi OS network environment.

I would agree that Windows network share is much easier, and Windows is GUI based, which makes user friendly. (But how long have you played with Linux in comparison to Windows?)

If you want to use this lightweight stable Linux OS, this is not the best place to ask, I really suggest to go to LinuxMint Forum again. You will get an answer in a couple of hours. (Yes, I am learning Linux as well)

But I just want to assist a bit, as you really go this far, which is really great. A lot of people simply dismiss Linux even they never ever install and use it at all by themselves. How lazy they are, they can install Linux to virtual machine easily within Windows..

OK, BASICS:

Windows mapping = Linux mounting.

In order to mount "network shared folder", firstly you have to create a folder to mount. (Yes, very different, no drive mapping but like folder mounting.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/46183/how-to-map-a-network-drive

Go Terminal: (Once get used, command is easier. Just copy and paste it, hit enter)

sudo mkdir /media/Data

This will create a folder "Data" for mounting.

Then magic command

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=raghu //172.29.32.184/sharename /media/Data/

raghu = Windows user name
    172.29.32.184 = Your Windows network IP
    sharename = your windows share folder name

(You will be asked a password for Windows)

I just tested with LinuxMint 18 to access Windows 7 share folder, I accessed from Linixmint VLC player to Windows 7 folder to play some videos.

You should be able to access /media/Data via your application.

Go to LinuxMint forum. See you there.

Happy hacking

P.S. Performance-wise, it would be better for Plex server directly to connect an external hard disk? So connect external hard disk to Linux or install Plex server to Windows? Whatever you do, hope you will enjoy (with some efforts ?) at this new Linux world.
    Last edited by toshi; 15-06-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: minor correction
    • Rev
    • By Rev 15th Jun 17, 11:22 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    Rev
    Hahaha, Wow what a progress! Now you are challenging multi OS network environment.

I would agree that Windows network share is much easier, and Windows is GUI based, which makes user friendly. (But how long have you played with Linux in comparison to Windows?)

If you want to use this lightweight stable Linux OS, this is not the best place to ask, I really suggest to go to LinuxMint Forum again. You will get an answer in a couple of hours. (Yes, I am learning Linux as well)

But I just want to assist a bit, as you really go this far, which is really great. A lot of people simply dismiss Linux even they never ever install and use it at all by themselves. How lazy they are, they can install Linux to virtual machine easily within Windows..

OK, BASICS:

Windows mapping = Linux mounting.

In order to mount "network shared folder", firstly you have to create a folder to mount. (Yes, very different, no drive mapping but like folder mounting.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/46183/how-to-map-a-network-drive

Go Terminal: (Once get used, command is easier. Just copy and paste it, hit enter)

sudo mkdir /media/Data

This will create a folder "Data" for mounting.

Then magic command

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=raghu //172.29.32.184/sharename /media/Data/

raghu = Windows user name
    172.29.32.184 = Your Windows network IP
    sharename = your windows share folder name

(You will be asked a password for Windows)

I just tested with LinuxMint 18 to access Windows 7 share folder, I accessed from Linixmint VLC player to Windows 7 folder to play some videos.

You should be able to access /media/Data via your application.

Go to LinuxMint forum. See you there.

Happy hacking

P.S. Performance-wise, it would be better for Plex server directly to connect an external hard disk? So connect external hard disk to Linux or install Plex server to Windows? Whatever you do, hope you will enjoy (with some efforts ?) at this new Linux world.
    Originally posted by toshi
    Thanks but I give up. I've wasted an entire day trying to get this drive shared, that's just ridiculous. There is no way it should be this difficult. Followed the manual guide to the letter, still no dice.

Linux can get in the bin, I don't have the patience for it.
    Sigless
    • toshi
    • By toshi 16th Jun 17, 12:33 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    toshi
    Thanks but I give up. I've wasted an entire day trying to get this drive shared, that's just ridiculous. There is no way it should be this difficult. Followed the manual guide to the letter, still no dice.

Linux can get in the bin, I don't have the patience for it.
    Originally posted by Rev
    Mmm, it was too late, you didn't have to struggle alone. But you really have challenged multi OS network environment, which isn't super easy one. This would happens between Windows, Mac, Linux etc.

Anyway, hope you enjoy Plex server streaming.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 16th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    emptybox
    You can definitely get that kind of setup to work on Linux with some perseverance.

At one time I had an old desktop PC running Ubuntu, with a 2 TB external drive connected to it, which I shared to my network PCs, Windows Linux and Apple.
    But it does require editing of configuration files.
    You need to edit fstab to mount the external drive in the file system at boot up, and you probably need to edit the Samba configuration file as well to tweak permissions etc.

Worked flawlessly for a couple of years until I switched, first to a drive connected to the router by USB, and now an ethernet connected NAS.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,317Users online

Martin's Twitter