Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frances109
    • By Frances109 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 62Thanks
    Frances109
    First Time Buyer - Utilities
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    First Time Buyer - Utilities 12th Jun 17 at 2:04 PM
    We are in the process of buying our first house and we have no idea about the utilities.

The house we are buying is a repossession so everything has been completely cut off. Now I know it is on an electric meter, then there is the water and the gas.

Could anyone give me a sort of dummy's guide in how to find out who everything is with and how to get it all switched over.

With the council tax I assume I just have to contact them once we have completed?
    First time buyer!
Page 1
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 12th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    It's an interesting question and not that uncommon I suspect.

I will suggest that a suitable guide is put together.

You could also try posting in the Energy thread - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
    Last edited by Westminster; 12-06-2017 at 2:13 PM.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Frances109
    • By Frances109 12th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Frances109
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    Thanks Westminster - I will try there!

I thought Martin would already have done a guide so I was quite surprised when I couldn't find one.
    First time buyer!
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 6,283 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    The house we are buying is a repossession so everything has been completely cut off.
    Originally posted by Frances109

Are you sure they've been "completely cut off"? They're usually just switched off (and plumbing drained) i.e. you just need to turn everything on yourself (assuming the systems are safe to use).
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 12th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    When we bought our house last year we just phoned British Gas, pretended we'd been told they were the supplier and they checked the database and had a record of who our suppliers actually were for gas and electric. Then it was just a quick call to each of them where they both set up temporary accounts just so we could get up and running with everything turned on before we switched to our chosen provider.

They were both on pre-pay and we had a new gas card in the post within 48 hours and were given a code to pick up a new electric key from the local shop on the day we phoned them.

We were lucky in that we weren't moving in straight away as we wanted to do work on it so had six weeks, it would have been very inconvenient if we had to move in with no utilities
    Last edited by Fosterdog; 12-06-2017 at 4:09 PM.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 8,838 Posts
    • 21,143 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    Thanks for the PM Westminster.

Hi Frances109.

Our Buying Repossessions and Moving Home Checklist should help. The Buying Repossessions guide has a small section on buying a house where the utilities have been cut off but there might be more info that could go in there. I'll pass the feedback on.

Thank you!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-06-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

668Posts Today

5,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin