Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneyMoney
    • By MoneyMoney 12th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MoneyMoney
    My property addressed being misused possible credit fraud.
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    My property addressed being misused possible credit fraud. 12th Jun 17 at 2:01 PM
    Hi.

So I have a flat and have been here for several years and know the ownership of both my flat and the one upstairs going back more than a decade.

Recently I started receiving correctly addressed bills to someone I have never heard of (mobile phone bills) I simply marked them not known at this address and dropped them at the post office. Well since then I have gotten a broadband package and today an engineer turned up to do the install. My concern is that this is not the first time, we often receive bank letters etc for people that have never lived here. They are all correctly addressed. My concern is that my address will go down in credit reports badly as these must be fraudulent. I am assuming people are trying to use the address to either scam a bank or get a credit history. I never open any letters and would refuse to sign for anything I don't know the name of but still they keep coming. Two questions, is there any risk to my credit history, how can I protect myself.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 12,465 Posts
    • 12,631 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    Your address doesn't have a credit report. Only you.

It will have no impact.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 12th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    Credit checks are undertaken against people, not addresses so nothing to worry about. Just keep doing what you are doing in chucking the incorrect post.

More than likely if you live in a flat, it's a case of the company noting the address down incorrectly/it showing up on their system wrong. As an example, I currently live in a house on a road e.g 10 Fleet Street, however there is a flat 10 also on the road; Flat 10, Fleet Street, so sometimes I get post for that person delivered to my address despite clearly living in a house and not a flat.

I hardly suspect someone would go to the trouble of wanting broadband and sending them to the wrong address.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • MoneyMoney
    • By MoneyMoney 12th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyMoney
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    It is a maisonette, I am sure that it is this a dress not a mistake. Anyway I was under the impression that as part of a credit check they would look for bad credit against your address I guess that was wrong?

Thanks!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 12,465 Posts
    • 12,631 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    I guess that was wrong?
    Originally posted by MoneyMoney
    You guess right.
    • MoneyMoney
    • By MoneyMoney 12th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyMoney
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    My assumption was not that they wanted broadband but they wanted utility bills in their name etc... but if it can't impact me I will just refuse packages and return mail via post office.

Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin