Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lulabel5
    • By lulabel5 12th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    lulabel5
    Transfer versus appropriation
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    Transfer versus appropriation 12th Jun 17 at 1:43 PM
    Hi there
    What is the difference between transferring an inherited property and appropriating it? And what do the processes involve? Our solicitor has not been very forthcoming on this issue!
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 11,554 Posts
    • 8,679 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    Any more context that can be given?

Generally transferring is when the owner transfers ownership to someone else. Appropriating is when you assume ownership/treat something as if it is your own. In other words, transferring is giving while appropriating is taking.

When you say property do you mean personal belongings? Or as in a house/land?

I'm assuming the latter (for obvious reasons) but like to make sure. Is the value of the property going to exceed Capital Gains Tax? I presume you are the executor? Or is the solicitor?
    Last edited by unholyangel; 12-06-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • lulabel5
    • By lulabel5 12th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lulabel5
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    This regards a house. One of two beneficiaries has been given the option to take the house as part of their share of the inheritance. Is this best done by the legal process of appropriation? Is that different to having it transferred? Or do the terms both mean the same thing? What does the process entail? Does appropriation means that neither beneficiary has to pay cgt (as neither are 'selling' the property)? How is the value of the property worked out for appropriation? Is just the probate value used?
    • lulabel5
    • By lulabel5 12th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lulabel5
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    PS: probate has been granted and all IHT has been paid already.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    PS: probate has been granted and all IHT has been paid already.
    Originally posted by lulabel5
    This appears to be the third thread you have started on the same issue. It would be much more helpful,if you kept to,one.
    • lulabel5
    • By lulabel5 12th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lulabel5
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    Sorry if there is a problem with this - the first time I posted I wasn't sure if it was ok to post a new question on somebody else's thread, so I posted the question again as a new thread; however, this question is a different one to the previous question - it would be great if you or someone else could give me a definitive answer - no one's really answered it yet for me!
    I have noticed that other posters create multiple threads with exactly the same question in, so it's not just me!
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    Sorry if there is a problem with this - the first time I posted I wasn't sure if it was ok to post a new question on somebody else's thread, so I posted the question again as a new thread; however, this question is a different one to the previous question - it would be great if you or someone else could give me a definitive answer - no one's really answered it yet for me!
    I have noticed that other posters create multiple threads with exactly the same question in, so it's not just me!
    Originally posted by lulabel5
    Well it does not help! AFAIK there is no diffeence. You have the answers you need in the main thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

3,912Users online

Martin's Twitter