Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sulkisu
    • By sulkisu 12th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 1,195Posts
    • 4,725Thanks
    sulkisu
    School photos - is it cruel not to buy them?
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    School photos - is it cruel not to buy them? 12th Jun 17 at 1:41 PM
    Perhaps cruel is the wrong word, but .....here goes.

DS1 is 6 and has just bought home the proofs for his school photos and to be frank, they are awful. My son is a gorgeous boy, but unfortunately he does this thing when he poses of pictures, which I can only describe as a cross between a grimace and trying to show every single tooth in his head at the same time. It reminds me of Gromit or cartoon impressions of Tony Blair's smarmy grin. The same thing happened last year when he was in reception. He looked like he was chewing a wasp. I bought the pictures last year, but they are in a drawer somewhere .

The cheapest set this year cost £28, and feels like a lot of money for something that will never see the light of day. I would rather spend more and take him to a professional photographer and get a really good picture in his uniform. I did this when he was 4, and the photos are amazing - but I feel mean not buying the school pictures, plus I don't want to hurt his feelings. So maybe I just suck it up like last year; however he might ask me to put the pictures up and I really don't want to.

Has anyone else been in this position and if so, what did you do? I feel like such a cow.
Page 2
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 27,804 Posts
    • 70,618 Thanks
    Mojisola
    It's not about other options for getting a good picture, it's the 'not buying their school photo'. I'm basically saying 'I don't like this picture of you', which feels a bit cold and unkind!
    Originally posted by sulkisu
    Turn it round - that photographer didn't take a very nice photo - we've got much nicer ones of you.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 12th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 7,973 Thanks
    splishsplash
    I would buy them. That expression sounds completely priceless, why on earth would you not want to capture it for posterity?? It's what makes your son unique and captures his personality far better than a bland posed 'perfect' picture.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 12th Jun 17, 7:35 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Jorell00
    I think is crazy to spend £28 on school photos. Especially when we nearly all have digital cameras or more importantly mobiles to take better photos, pictures of our kids having fun rather than staged photos . My kids always looked awful in school photos pulling unnatural looking forced smiles. I'd much prefer photos taken myself when they are having fun with genuine smiles and not forced ones . My mum bought some school pictures of me when I was in junior school and they all awful (especially when I had lost my front teeth and I had massive gaps), Staged pictures where I always look awful with a horrible fake smile, I understand her buying them back then because we didn't have access to decent photography equipment .
    But for £28 (which is not particularly cheap) ,.I'd rather put that towards a trip to the cinema or some other treat.
    Just my opinion
    Jorell00
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 12th Jun 17, 8:44 PM
    • 4,715 Posts
    • 12,836 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    Don't feel that you have to buy the ghastly school photos, they're expensive at the best of times and if the photo isn't great, what's the point?

You could always take a photo of the school pic, using your phone or camera, then if he wonders why you haven't got the original, you can show him the evidence and tell him that it's so precious that you're keeping the original in the loft/shed/at granny's house, etc!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 12th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 16,761 Posts
    • 27,197 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Don't feel that you have to buy the ghastly school photos, they're expensive at the best of times and if the photo isn't great, what's the point?

You could always take a photo of the school pic, using your phone or camera, then if he wonders why you haven't got the original, you can show him the evidence and tell him that it's so precious that you're keeping the original in the loft/shed/at granny's house, etc!
    Originally posted by barbiedoll
    For the last few years our school photographer did a very poor job at securing his website.. to the point you could download ok-res non-watermarked versions if you happened to look through the website's code.

Just saying.
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 16,198 Posts
    • 96,721 Thanks
    maman
    I don't think you're cruel at all
    I think you could explain to your son that he's making funny faces. Take some photos of him yourself to show how different they are.
    I'd just take the school photos back. There's no compulsion to buy.
    • *max*
    • By *max* 12th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 13,021 Thanks
    *max*
    Well this is an eye-opener! I had no idea school photos were so expensive!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 12th Jun 17, 11:31 PM
    • 13,192 Posts
    • 25,132 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I've never bought any of the school pictures. They are invariably a total rip off.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    Malthusian
    I feel like such a cow.
    Originally posted by sulkisu
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why people can get away with charging £28 for crap photos that were taken in five seconds on a production line of 6-year-olds.

If you want to be guilt-tripped into spending £28 then it's a free country. But no, it's not cruel not to be.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 13th Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 11,150 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    In the first Harry Potter film, a point is made about how awful Harry's relatives are by the number of smug gurning pics of Dudley Dursley covering the walls of the house.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 13th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 6,325 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    Do the children bring the photos home 'on approval' for you to decide whether or not to buy them ? If so you could take a photo of the photo. Wouldn't be best quality but would capture the memory for the photo album for less than £28. I know it's cheating but £28 seems a lot of money, big profit margin when you think about the time saving digital equipment nowadays.
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 2,007 Thanks
    takman
    Do the children bring the photos home 'on approval' for you to decide whether or not to buy them ? If so you could take a photo of the photo. Wouldn't be best quality but would capture the memory for the photo album for less than £28. I know it's cheating but £28 seems a lot of money, big profit margin when you think about the time saving digital equipment nowadays.
    Originally posted by ERICS MUM
    The photos they bring home are usually a small watermarked version which is part of the order form and can be kept anyway if you choose not to buy the photos.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

8,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin