Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Theophilon
    • By Theophilon 12th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Theophilon
    Park With Ease and my hired vehicle in Lake District
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    Park With Ease and my hired vehicle in Lake District 12th Jun 17 at 1:07 PM
    Hello all,

To preface my concern, I have read the Newbie thread, including the two threads that pertain to hired vehicles, but was unsure whether they apply to my case.

On May 20th, I parked in my hire car at White Moss, Rydal, Lake District. The first 10 minutes are free, but because they use an automated license plate capturing system, I overstayed by 5 minutes. Those 5 minutes were spent in the car and I made sure we were back at the car within 10 minutes after arrival. I should have realized that it starts counting the moment you enter the carpark, but does that count as "parking" under PoFA? I was emailed a scan of the letter that Easirent received today (June 12th), which was dated June 2nd, but have not received a notice myself. I have since moved to Germany and the address I left with Easirent is my previous on-campus university address in Wales. Easirent has taken 55 pounds out of my account as an "administration fee".

The parking company is Park with Ease, which seems to be an IPC member.

While perusing PoFA, I found the following issue in Paragraph 7 Subparagraph 4, which states:
    The notice must be given—

(a)before the vehicle is removed from the relevant land after the end of the period of parking to which the notice relates, and

(b)while the vehicle is stationary,

by affixing it to the vehicle or by handing it to a person appearing to be in charge of the vehicle.
    Like I said, I have still not received a physical notice of the parking charge from Park with Ease. They automated their penalties. Furthermore, I found a news article from 2014***, which states that CCTV parking fines will be made illegal in autumn 2014 under the Deregulation Bill.

Should I send the landowner (Lowther Estates it seems) a complaint based on the actual time PARKED being only 10 minutes? Should I send a template complaint to Park with Ease?

Thank you for your time

***Link: telegraph /news/politics/10915510/Ban-on-CCTV-parking-fines-for-unwitting-motorists.htm
    (can't post link as I'm a new user)
    Last edited by Theophilon; 12-06-2017 at 1:16 PM.
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 15,962 Posts
    • 24,772 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    Furthermore, I found a news article from 2014***, which states that CCTV parking fines will be made illegal in autumn 2014 under the Deregulation Bill.
    Council car parks only. Why private parking companies can continue using them (and some of the systems are suspect) is a nonsense - but there's been enough bumping of gums on here over it. It is what it is - for now.

Should I send the landowner (Lowther Estates it seems) a complaint based on the actual time PARKED being only 10 minutes? Should I send a template complaint to Park with Ease?
    Yes

Easirent has taken 55 pounds out of my account as an "administration fee".
    You should pursue them for return of that fee if your agreement refers only to 'penalties', 'fines' or 'traffic offences' (local authority/police) as opposed to 'parking charge notices' (private parking companies). Read the agreement between the BVRLA with the BPA as to how BVRLA members should handle private parking tickets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9b0iavad3aqeh28/BPA%20BVRLA%20MoU.pdf?dl=0

I have since moved to Germany and the address I left with Easirent is my previous on-campus university address in Wales.
    Are you now permanently based in Germany? If not permanently, how long are you likely to be living outside of the UK.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Theophilon
    • By Theophilon 12th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Theophilon
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, Umkomaas.

I am a German citizen and was only in the UK for one semester of uni abroad. I might return to the UK for travel, but I don't see myself living there again.

Easirent's rental agreement includes this:
    21. An administration fee of £55 will be applied to all motoring offences received
    Last edited by Theophilon; 12-06-2017 at 7:56 PM.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 12th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 7,767 Posts
    • 8,042 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    21. An administration fee of £55 will be applied to all motoring offences received

its NOT a motoring OFFENCE , its a civil speculative invoice for PARKING
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jun 17, 10:39 PM
    • 51,872 Posts
    • 65,506 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:39 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:39 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, Umkomaas.

I am a German citizen and was only in the UK for one semester of uni abroad. I might return to the UK for travel, but I don't see myself living there again.
    Originally posted by Theophilon
    Yes, and yes.

Pointing out to ParkWithEase that your permanent address is in Germany, outside of the jurisdiction of English courts. and that no grace period was allowed so they are in breach of their Code of Practice (CAREFUL not to imply who was driving).

...and pointing out to Lowther Estates what lowlife scumbags they are allowing near people's cars.

Do not say who parked the car. Call yourself the 'hirer/lessee' of the car.

As others have said, this is not a motoring offence. It's an invoice from a private company, not a fine, not an offence, not a penalty. Put that payment into dispute/get it reversed by your card company.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,508Posts Today

7,354Users online

Martin's Twitter