Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lpd222
    • By lpd222 12th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    lpd222
    Parking Eye - What next?
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    Parking Eye - What next? 12th Jun 17 at 1:04 PM
    My daughter received a parking fine from a Parking Eye car park in October last year. Parking Eye car parks do not tell you how long you're at the car park so she paid for the 2 hours she thought she'd been there. She had had been there 2 hours & 6 minutes!!

We followed the protocol on here and appealed.
    It was not granted by Parking Eye and we appealed via POPLA in November.
    We heard absolutely nothing back from Parking Eye or POPLA until Parking Eye sent a letter stating that she should by now know her POPLA appeal has not been granted & that she must now pay £100 in the next 2 weeks.

I've now discovered that shes had a Letter Before County Court Claim & a subsequent letter threatening baliffs if she doesn't pay.

I looked though the stickeys & aplologies, but I just can't see what we need to do now. There are lots of accronyms that I don't understand PCC, LBC, LBCCC etc & I just don't know what these mean & I really don't know where we need to go with this.

Can somebody please help?
    Many many thanks
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    Has she actually got a CCJ (by default) and the bailiff threat is as a result of this - or is the bailiff threat just another attempt to get her to pay?

(The sticky FAQ thread does explain most acronyms)

LBC & LBCC refer to letter before (county) court
    • lpd222
    • By lpd222 12th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lpd222
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    I've not seen the letter, as this is the first I've heard of this letter but it sounds like another attempt to make her pay but she has had a letter from Northampton.

Apologies, I just couldn't see them.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    If the "letter from Northampton" is a claim from the County Court/CCJ/Notice of an application to enforce a CCJ etc then she needs to deal urgently with it!
    • lpd222
    • By lpd222 12th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lpd222
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    What do we need to do?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    All depends on what the "letter from Northampton" is about!
    • lpd222
    • By lpd222 12th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lpd222
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    I need to have a look at this for her - she's just ignored the correspondence as people have told her that's what they did & they've not heard anything else from them.

I've just found out they've registered a CCJ against her on 06/06/17. I'm absolutely devastated that a parking fine can destroy her credit rating for the next six years.

I really don't know what to do. Her dad left me with a load of debt years ago & I've only just got back on my feet - to think that she has thins on her record makes me feel sick.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jun 17, 3:48 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:48 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:48 PM
    She can avoid this going on her record by paying it off in full ASAP - as long as payment in full is made within 30 days of the CCJ.

(Presumably she knew about the court claim (and just ignored it), so getting a set aside will be difficult)
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 15,526 Posts
    • 19,616 Thanks
    Redx
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    so have a look

if it has already gone to court and a default judgment issued against her then if more than 28 days have elapsed since then your daughter has a CCJ against her and bailifss could be actioned by the claimant

if she wishes to fight this its £255 for a set aside, if a judge granted one, plus she needs good reasons to convince the judge to issue the set aside in the 1st place

then she needs to fight it in court as well, because a set aside doesnt clear it

if the court case is still "live" then she needs to defend it

the PM was asked to look into this 6 months ago and said she would get MARCUS JONES on the case (I think it was he)

nothing has been done about it since though
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 50,161 Posts
    • 63,535 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I need to have a look at this for her - she's just ignored the correspondence as people have told her that's what they did & they've not heard anything else from them.

I've just found out they've registered a CCJ against her on 06/06/17. I'm absolutely devastated that a parking fine can destroy her credit rating for the next six years.

I really don't know what to do. Her dad left me with a load of debt years ago & I've only just got back on my feet - to think that she has thins on her record makes me feel sick.
    Originally posted by lpd222
    And it makes us sick too, that's why we come here every day. Unfortunately she's ignored (or not received) a court claim. So she has a default CCJ.

Also, the PCN was not even about 'six minutes', so sad to say it was misunderstood and mis-argued at POPLA. The charge will have been due to a typo in the VRN when she paid, such that PE pretended they couldn't match the payment to the car. This case cannot have been about a six minute overstay, because that's within grace periods allowed.

Her options (and she has more than one option) are shown in the NEWBIES sticky thread, post #2 of it, about setting aside a CCJ. She can pay it off and it will be gone as long as she does so in time, or if she feels strongly about it, she can get it set aside and defend the case in small claims, especially if she can prove she paid, if she has always kept the ticket:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2017/05/30/throwing-pay-display-ticket-away-use-cost-100/

So two ways to remove the CCJ. Pay it off as she's still within the time to do so, or set it aside (wipe it from the record, if a Judge agrees, especially if she didn't receive court papers) then defend, as she should have done a couple of months ago.

Bottom line - she could have got this cancelled at the outset within a few days, by complaining to the landowner/retailer or showing her paid ticket. Next time, get advice here and we would have pointed out it can't have been about 6 minutes, and we would have explained how to win at appeal or get it cancelled by complaint.

HTH
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 12-06-2017 at 6:56 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

292Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin