Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 65Thanks
    PhilE
    Cost of asbestos removal
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    Cost of asbestos removal 12th Jun 17 at 12:39 PM
    So following on from my boiler installation thread, which lead to the damage of asbestos paneling, I've been quoted just under 3 grand for its removal. This would involve heavy plastic sheets sealing the rooms, workers wearing full protection etc.

The paneling is in the hall, one bedroom and the loft. The unlicensed asbestos pro(means he can remove all but licensed asbestos) who referred me to the licensed asbestos company has been great and I get the impression he knows what he's talking about.

Its not a job I want to skimp on, but its pretty expensive and am wondering if I should get more quotes.

I'll be sending part of the bill to the heater installer who caused the damage. He's been evasive and I might need to explore further action to get money from him.
Page 1
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    If you may need to take legal action to recover some or all of the money then I'd suggest it would be best to get at least three quotes.

If there is a significant difference between the cheapest and next cheapest prices quoted then you'd need to speak to someone to make sure the company providing the cheapest quote is suitable for the work involved.

Make sure you are getting things in writing.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    The initial quote I received has been from the ARG Group. If anyone has had any experience with them, please share.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 15th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    Has anybody had licensed asbestos removed from their home/business?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 3,487 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    Would this not be a situation where you claim on your house insurance so that they can the pursue the boiler engineer and you aren't out of pocket?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 9,409 Posts
    • 7,375 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    Has anybody had licensed asbestos removed from their home/business?
    Originally posted by PhilE
    I don't think this will be of much help but 7 years ago just to have sheets of cement bonded asbestos from a garage roof bagged and taken away was £250. The asb sheets had already been removed from the garage.
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 15-06-2017 at 3:36 PM.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    We paid £1000 + VAT to have the asbestos removed from our basement ceiling (guessing it was put in when the basement was converted to a garage many years ago). It involved two blokes in full protective gear, and lots of heavy duty plastic bags. On the plus side they also hoovered the garage...

Make sure you get a certificate to say it's been removed correctly.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 15th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    Okay silly question time:

You say the asbestos panels have been "damaged"

Are you living in the house still?

If you are, then either you are taking a risk, OR the "damaged" panels pose no risk and might just be better left where they are?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 15th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    Okay silly question time:

You say the asbestos panels have been "damaged"

Are you living in the house still?

If you are, then either you are taking a risk, OR the "damaged" panels pose no risk and might just be better left where they are?
    Originally posted by ProDave
    Details here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5652192
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5652903

The OP has an asbestos containing flue pipe which needed to be removed, but the pipe had been boxed in using something like AIB. The AIB-like material was damaged during the flue removal work.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

4,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin