Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • omariqy
    • By omariqy 12th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 12Thanks
    omariqy
    Ground Rent Bill - Tenant Not Forwarding Mail
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    Ground Rent Bill - Tenant Not Forwarding Mail 12th Jun 17 at 12:23 PM
    Hello all

I am in the process of selling my flat which I purchased last year. At that point in time I paid ground rent in advance. Last week I got an e-mail from my solicitor stating that I owed this year's ground rent bill of £150 but that their solicitors had added charges of £750 incl legal costs as this was due in January. I had no idea about this bill being due and assumed it was due sometime this month. It turns out the tenants or the management company have not been forwarding mail to me and this includes two letters from the company who I owe ground rent too. What options do I have now? I feel a bit cheated that I have to pay these extortionate costs when I had no idea about them and when post was not forwarded on to me. I've checked the agreement and there is nothing in there about me being responsible for asking for post etc. I am thinking that I ask the management company for money off for the sale fee (they are also selling my property) when the sale goes through?
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 14,477 Posts
    • 14,138 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    Or you look after your own financial affairs and don't blame someone else? - I know it's revolutionary. But if I owed fees, id ask when they were due.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 12th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 11,604 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    That you didn't bother to ensure royal mail forwarded you post is your problem: Relying on tenant to forward mail is likely to lead to disappointment, pain & bills.

Why had you not bothered to inform ground-rent company of your actual address.

No offence but, own goal, cough up!!
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 12th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 7,824 Posts
    • 25,727 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    Why didn't you ask the ground rent company to send their invoices to your own address?
    Why have you been having your personal mail sent to your tenants?
    I don't see how you can hold anyone else responsible if you haven't managed to sort out your own mail redirection.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 40,081 Posts
    • 45,767 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    The responsibility for paying your ground rent, on time, is yours.

It is not your tenant's resposnibility to forward your mail. They are renting a home for themselves, not a mailbox service.

Why had you not informed the freeholder (or management company maanging the ground rent on their behalf) of your address?

Why had you not paid RoyalMail for a postal forwrding service?

Expensive lesson learned.
    • omariqy
    • By omariqy 12th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    omariqy
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    Thanks all. The company changed half way through so I had no idea who to contact. I asked the management company to forward my mail. However, I get what everyone is saying and appreciate the replies.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 12th Jun 17, 12:50 PM
    • 15,004 Posts
    • 20,409 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:50 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:50 PM
    Thanks all. The company changed half way through so I had no idea who to contact. I asked the management company to forward my mail. However, I get what everyone is saying and appreciate the replies.
    Originally posted by omariqy
    If you have given the management company your new address where the bills were to be sent to, then I would argue that they sent the bill to the wrong address and therefore just pay the bill minus any extra charges.

It is not the tenant's responsibility to forward mail. That is what Royal Mail redirection service is for!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 7,872 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    As tenants have posted ,a number of times, landlord mail being addressed to the rented property suggests some kind of fiddle ( ie wanting to give the impression that they live in the property for some reason),so tenants are likely to not want involvement.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 40,081 Posts
    • 45,767 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    Originally posted by omariqy
    * if your lease specifies the charge is payable 6 monthly (or similar) then you'll get a bill halfway through the year. What does your lease say?

* when you say 'management company', do you mean
    a) the MC working for the freeholder and responsible for collecting the gound rent, or
    b) the MC working for you, and responsible for managing your tenancy?

If a) above and you informed them in writing of your current address, and they erroneously sent the bill to the property, not the address you had given them, then the liability is theirs.

Send them the ground rent only, with a covering letter, and enclose a copy of the letter you set them informing them of your address.

If b), send them the full amount now demanded.

edit: just realised you said "the company changed halfway through" not ""the company charged halfway through". Sorry!

But the advice is the same. If you'd told the original company, they should have pased all that correspondance to the new company, so they should have known,
    Last edited by G_M; 12-06-2017 at 1:29 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,836Posts Today

7,289Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin