Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceaton88
    • By ceaton88 12th Jun 17, 12:12 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ceaton88
    Is paying the fine less stress than appealing?
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:12 PM
    Is paying the fine less stress than appealing? 12th Jun 17 at 12:12 PM
    Hi all,

I received a postal letter from CPM (UK Car Park Management Ltd) who are with IPC for a £100 or £60 fine/invoice.

Having read all the very helpful posts on here I'm wondering if its not easier to just pay the £60 fine rather than having to digest all the postal spam that I'm expected to receive potentially over the next 6 years?

My car was parked in a leisure centre with the parking disc out of sight.
Page 1
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 4,729 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    Probably, if you're happy to pay a scammer.

Try and get the leisure center to cancel it first though.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 32,078 Posts
    • 16,156 Thanks
    Quentin
    Your decision.

But this forum isn't here to advise you on whether its worth paying to possibly avoid 6 years of harassment!

Only you can place a value on the stress you expect!
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 12th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    this should be easy to see off, its money saving experts not throw your money away and feed the scammers so they can take money from others a well dot com.

you say you have a permit, do you work at the leisure centre?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • ceaton88
    • By ceaton88 12th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ceaton88
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    No its just a disc all members get when they join. I will ask the staff if they can cancel it as I'm sure its come up before but I'm almost 99% sure they will fob me off as its probably hassle for them.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 4,729 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    make it more hassle to keep fobbing you off.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 12th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    if going in to complain/get the staff to cancel you MUST say the right things, otherwise your in fob off teritory.
    what will you say/ask? post it on here fur analysis

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • ceaton88
    • By ceaton88 12th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ceaton88
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    I decided to email them instead, explaining what had happened and that I read online they may be able to help. In hindsight that is probably very weak and the fob off is imminent!
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 12th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 3,301 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    So you are a paid up member but are willing to pay £60 for one parking stay just for a quiet life?

Where on earth has this countries expectations of service and customer loyalty benefits gone, why would you let a company reliant on your custom get away with such laziness?

The quotes about 6 years of hassle from debt collectors and the like are probably a little misleading you don't get letters every week or month for 6 years they usually peter out after some months but the alleged debt remains on file for six years.

If a court claim comes it's usually within the first year or so if not sooner.

But a strong complaint to the manager with obvious knowledge you understand the scam and their involvement is the surest way to get it sorted.

If not I would cancel membership in no uncertain terms telling them why, their parking management is about stopping people taking advantage not penalising authorised users with rules made up to trap you!

These are the muppets you are dealing with, the chances of court are pretty slim:

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/UK_Car_Park_Management.html
    Last edited by fisherjim; 12-06-2017 at 1:15 PM.
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 4,729 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I decided to email them instead, explaining what had happened and that I read online they may be able to help. In hindsight that is probably very weak and the fob off is imminent!
    Originally posted by ceaton88
    In person, ideally in front of a manager and some other punters:
    "I pay a lot of money to be a member of this gym, and your agent has issued me an invoice for parking where I'm entitled to be parking. I expect you to cancel it, which I know is in your remit, or I'll be taking my business elsewhere and holding you jointly liable for my wasted time in dealing with this scam."
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 12th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Half_way
    if you email you need to post on here what you have sent/plan to send other wise you risk shooting yourself in the foot, wasting your time or both.

• ceaton88
    • By ceaton88 12th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ceaton88
    This forum is great, people actually care how I've written something for maximum impact.

Thank you all so much.

The good news is that the gym got back to me and advised they will get the ticket cancelled as long as they can prove I was there at the time - which I 100% was.

Great result and good learning experience to stay more vigilant about parking
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    waamo
    You've kind of answered your own question really.
    This space for hire.
    • safarmuk
    • By safarmuk 12th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    safarmuk
    Well done. Customer complaints are always the easiest way to get these unjust PCN's cancelled.
    The good news is that the gym got back to me and advised they will get the ticket cancelled as long as they can prove I was there at the time - which I 100% was.
    However, as always, make sure you get the cancellation in writing (or email) from the PPC themselves. This is really important as without the written confirmation you never know the PCN is truly finished.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 4,729 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Well done. Pretty simple, eh?

If you still feel bad about this pretend infraction, I'm sure any charity will happily take your £60
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jun 17, 7:42 PM
    • 48,125 Posts
    • 61,562 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Soooo much better than supporting a scam, killing the scam!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 13,586 Posts
    • 21,302 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    However, as always, make sure you get the cancellation in writing (or email) from the PPC themselves. This is really important as without the written confirmation you never know the PCN is truly finished.
    Written cancellation from the PPC is always best, but if you don't get it, you can go to their website and put in your details as if you were going to pay the PCN - the site should then give you the current status of the charge.

Don't be daft and press the 'pay now' button!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • ceaton88
    • By ceaton88 12th Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ceaton88
    Written cancellation from the PPC is always best, but if you don't get it, you can go to their website and put in your details as if you were going to pay the PCN - the site should then give you the current status of the charge.

Don't be daft and press the 'pay now' button!
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Umkomaas! You have to be from Durban?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 13,586 Posts
    • 21,302 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Umkomaas! You have to be from Durban?
    Originally posted by ceaton88
    From time to time!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

4,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin