Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 548Posts
    • 366Thanks
    jondav
    Case Study - Am I allowed to post about this here?
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    Case Study - Am I allowed to post about this here? 12th Jun 17 at 12:10 PM
    As per the title really. I am completing a course and one of my case studies is regarding a tenancy dispute......am I allowed to post here for ideas / experience?
Page 2
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 13,471 Thanks
    Guest101
    Ok so I have heard back from the MSE peeps and they have said that I am allowed to post this here (thank you) as long as I am clear that this is for a course only, so.....
    THIS POST IS ENTIRELY THEORETICAL AS PART OF A CASE STUDY.

So the basic scenario is that a LL rents to two tenants who live next door to each other, they have had a disagreement which has escalated to purposeful property damage - of whose property? each others or landlords? and so LL has asked for advice as to how to move forward and resolve the issue. - This would likely be criminal damage, the LL intervening may not be wise at this stage (either or both tenants could end up with criminal convictions, which may affect their ability to continue to be neighbours or even have a stay at her majesty's pleasure)

As I said before, I'm not looking for people to do my work for me, nor am I looking for definitive or legal answers - there is no right and wrong - I simply need to try and gather opinion on how different individuals may take different approaches to this kind of situation.

Any input would be appreciated
    Originally posted by jondav

The LL can choose to evict one or both tenants, but otherwise have no other recourse. If damage is done to the property itself, they have the civil courts to seek compensation.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    jondav
    sorry but without "detail" any conclusions you draw from your "case study" are valueless as they would be without true context

is this a degree level course or what?
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    You seem to be implying that it is not a case study with your little " " marks??

Look, the detail of my course is none of your business. I simply asked for help from people that understand this kind of scenario. If you don't want to post then that's fine, no-one is forcing you.

But please don't throw this off topic....it may be silly and laughable to you, but it is serious to me. So if you have nothing to add other than belittling my posts, then please post elsewhere.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    jondav
    The LL can choose to evict one or both tenants, but otherwise have no other recourse. If damage is done to the property itself, they have the civil courts to seek compensation.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Thank you.

The damage is to each neighbours personal property (deflating car tyres, removing / damaging outdoor decoration, that kind of thing), not damage the houses themselves.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 13,471 Thanks
    Guest101
    Thank you.

The damage is to each neighbours personal property (deflating car tyres, removing / damaging outdoor decoration, that kind of thing), not damage the houses themselves.

In which case the LL should just stay out of it.

Don't want to evict one tenant and then have the other get a criminal conviction - even if it's just a fine it could affect rent payments
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    jondav
    In which case the LL should just stay out of it.

Don't want to evict one tenant and then have the other get a criminal conviction - even if it's just a fine it could affect rent payments
    So would you say that it is now too late for any kind of conversation to try and smooth things out?

I know that tea and cake is very often a suggestion, but my feeling is that this scenario is quite a way past that already!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 13,471 Thanks
    Guest101
    So would you say that it is now too late for any kind of conversation to try and smooth things out?

I know that tea and cake is very often a suggestion, but my feeling is that this scenario is quite a way past that already!

Well he can always talk to them, presumably it would just end up being a he said, she said, he did, she did scenario, but sure why not (atleast he might have some cake out of it)

The problem is the LL might also be a tool, or not. It's hypothetical, so the dynamics are impossible to navigate.

I tend to avoid that in favour of a legal POV. The LL shouldn't do anything to put himself or herself at risk and turning up to mediate could mean he gets a call from plod for harassment.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    jondav
    Well he can always talk to them, presumably it would just end up being a he said, she said, he did, she did scenario, but sure why not (atleast he might have some cake out of it)

The problem is the LL might also be a tool, or not. It's hypothetical, so the dynamics are impossible to navigate.

I tend to avoid that in favour of a legal POV. The LL shouldn't do anything to put himself or herself at risk and turning up to mediate could mean he gets a call from plod for harassment.
    Thank you, I appreciate your input
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 13th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 7,649 Posts
    • 24,943 Thanks
    fairy lights

I would say it's not the landlords place to smooth things out - the tenants are adults and if they want to try the tea and cake route then good for them, but why should the landlord be concerned about their squabbles? As long as they're only upsetting each other I'd leave them to sort it out.
    If they start damaging the property, or other neighbours make complaints about their behaviour though then I'd evict.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 4,066 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    00ec25
    You seem to be implying that it is not a case study with your little " " marks??

Look, the detail of my course is none of your business. I simply asked for help from people that understand this kind of scenario. If you don't want to post then that's fine, no-one is forcing you.

But please don't throw this off topic....it may be silly and laughable to you, but it is serious to me. So if you have nothing to add other than belittling my posts, then please post elsewhere.
    oh dear, you misunderstand the use of quotation marks.

so now you are providing details and as a result the context is totally different. Kinda the point I was making... in order to reply we must "understand" the scenario as it was without context and therefore meaningless

With proper context your case study results can then be summarised as causal effects: scenario a) personal property damaged - majority opinion response: b), minority opinion response: c). Scenario flexed to make it, for example, LL property that was damaged, opinion results changed, now majority result is response d)

your (current?) scenario a) makes my response b): damage is to the tenants personal property, it has nothing at all to do with the LL and is a matter for the 2 of them to settle between themselves.
    Last edited by 00ec25; 13-06-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    • AndyTails
    • By AndyTails 13th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    AndyTails
    People on this forum [...] hate it when more are more details get added later, which change the situation. So I'd advise [...] put in all the detail at the start.
    Originally posted by AndyTails

You try and help someone...
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I really think you need to chat to your personal tutor/advisor.

I'm not saying this to be negative, but this isn't the way to go about your studies, if you want to do well you might need a bit more guidance about how to approach your assignments.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    jondav
    I would say it's not the landlords place to smooth things out - the tenants are adults and if they want to try the tea and cake route then good for them, but why should the landlord be concerned about their squabbles? As long as they're only upsetting each other I'd leave them to sort it out.
    If they start damaging the property, or other neighbours make complaints about their behaviour though then I'd evict.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Thank you
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    jondav
    I really think you need to chat to your personal tutor/advisor.

I'm not saying this to be negative, but this isn't the way to go about your studies, if you want to do well you might need a bit more guidance about how to approach your assignments.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    LOL I'm doing just fine with my studies thanks
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 13th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 3,575 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Given the further information you've provided, this is nothing whatsoever to do with the LL. Not his property, not his business.

Having said that, if he (I) chanced upon it or was informed, I might well choose not to renew any contract. It just makes things easier if tenants are civilised....
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    LOL I'm doing just fine with my studies thanks
    Good luck then, at least I tried.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    jondav
    Given the further information you've provided, this is nothing whatsoever to do with the LL. Not his property, not his business.

Having said that, if he (I) chanced upon it or was informed, I might well choose not to renew any contract. It just makes things easier if tenants are civilised....
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,352Users online

Martin's Twitter