Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 550Posts
    • 368Thanks
    jondav
    Case Study - Am I allowed to post about this here?
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    Case Study - Am I allowed to post about this here? 12th Jun 17 at 12:10 PM
    As per the title really. I am completing a course and one of my case studies is regarding a tenancy dispute......am I allowed to post here for ideas / experience?
Page 1
    • AndyTails
    • By AndyTails 12th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    AndyTails
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    I can't see any reason why not. (Not that you should listen to me, I'm not exactly a regular poster on this forum, much more of a lurker! But no one else has bothered to answer yet, so I thought I would.)

People on this forum a) don't like to be lied to and b) hate it when more are more details get added later, which change the situation. So I'd advise being up front in any post that this is for your course and not a real issue someone is facing, and put in all the detail at the start.

I'd also guess that no one on here is going to want to do your work for you. If you ask specific questions I reckon you'll be more likely to get responses than if you just ask for general opinions.

Good luck, and I hope that when you post your actual case study questions that you get good advice.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    Thanks both for your replies AndyTails and 00ec25.

That's why I asked the question first......I have seen many times on here where people post a question and you immediately get the "is it the school holidays" type of comment.....so I wanted to be upfront about why I was posting.

I'm not looking for specific answers as such, or anyone to do my work for me, just a starting point really.

Also, I'm not a business, TV company, researcher or reporter.....I'm simply a mature student studying in my own time, the only reason I wanted to post here is because it relates specifically to tenancy issues, so I don't think I would get much response on the surveys board.

Anyway, I don't want to break any rules so I'll leave it......thanks for replying guys, appreciated!
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 12th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    Contact forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Its not just for naughty reporting ;-)

Ask them the question for a definitive answer.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 13,965 Posts
    • 13,484 Thanks
    Guest101
    Are you after opinions or facts?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 12th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    where's Crashy when you need him... he'll give you a good report on the housing market
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    Are you after opinions or facts?
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Just opinions really, but I know that "theoretical" posts aren't usually appreciated.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 12th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 7,671 Posts
    • 25,046 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Now I'm eagerly awaiting your case study. I hope it's something nice and juicy - landlord caught naked with tenants girlfriend whilst protecting deposit etc
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 12th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 6,484 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    I think you might need to get approval from MSE staff first. Check the rules.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 2,974 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I'm not really sure how getting the opinions of anonymous strangers is especially helpful for academic study anyway, to be honest.
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 12th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    Go for it!
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    Now I'm eagerly awaiting your case study. I hope it's something nice and juicy - landlord caught naked with tenants girlfriend whilst protecting deposit etc
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    LOL!!! Oh how I wish it was that juicy.....but it isn't I'm afraid
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jun 17, 2:41 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    I'm not really sure how getting the opinions of anonymous strangers is especially helpful for academic study anyway, to be honest.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Then please feel free to ignore, you are under no obligation.

I think you might need to get approval from MSE staff first. Check the rules.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Go for it!
    Originally posted by bob bank spanker
    Just awaiting a reply to my e-mail
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 12th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    csgohan4
    tenancy disputes should be plenty via shelter and CAB, have you tried those?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 12:06 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    Update - case study - approved
    Ok so I have heard back from the MSE peeps and they have said that I am allowed to post this here (thank you) as long as I am clear that this is for a course only, so.....
    THIS POST IS ENTIRELY THEORETICAL AS PART OF A CASE STUDY.

So the basic scenario is that a LL rents to two tenants who live next door to each other, they have had a disagreement which has escalated to purposeful property damage and so LL has asked for advice as to how to move forward and resolve the issue.

As I said before, I'm not looking for people to do my work for me, nor am I looking for definitive or legal answers - there is no right and wrong - I simply need to try and gather opinion on how different individuals may take different approaches to this kind of situation.

Any input would be appreciated
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 13th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 7,671 Posts
    • 25,046 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Which neighbour has caused the property damage? I'd serve notice on that one, no doubt about it. The other neighbour - I'd probably evict them too, unless I knew they were an innocent party and hadn't been deliberately aggravating the situation.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    Which neighbour has caused the property damage? I'd serve notice on that one, no doubt about it. The other neighbour - I'd probably evict them too, unless I knew they were an innocent party and hadn't been deliberately aggravating the situation.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Both have done this - they had a disagreement and each retaliated.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    00ec25
    Both have done this - they had a disagreement and each retaliated.
    Originally posted by jondav
    Lol, then your case study should have said that otherwise it is missing facts which determine the response!

so each tenant is damaging what? the property lived in by the other one?

each tenant does so in the full knowledge that the other person is in a rental property and so the damage is not of the "transgressor's" personal property but rather the property of their respective LL?

each tenant is aware that they both share the same LL?

Conclusion: both tenants are fools and should be evicted as it is the LL who is suffering the loss .... that of course is purely a business decision based on the value of the damage caused when compared to the respective deposit's size and the viability of the local rental market in respect of anticipated void period.

the LL is not a trained social worker nor mediator when it comes to resolving arguments. The LL is in business to make money, those who cost him money are to be replaced if that is the financially sensible response to the circumstances.
    Last edited by 00ec25; 13-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 13th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    jondav
    Lol, then your case study should have said that otherwise it is missing facts which determine the response!

Sorry, but I did say that this entire thing was theoretical and not fact based.....hence I tried to keep the facts to a minimum.

so each tenant is damaging what? the property lived in by the other one?

each tenant does so in the full knowledge that the other person is in a rental property and so the damage is not of the "transgressor's" personal property but rather the property of their respective LL?

each tenant is aware that they both share the same LL?

Again, you've missed the point here.....too much detail.

Conclusion: both tenants are fools and should be evicted as it is the LL who is suffering the loss .... that of course is purely a business decision based on the value of the damage caused when compared to the respective deposit's size and the viability of the local rental market in respect of anticipated void period.

the LL is not a trained social worker nor mediator when it comes to resolving arguments. The LL is in business to make money, those who cost him money are to be replaced if that is the financially sensible response to the circumstances.
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    This last bit is what I was looking for, thank you.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    00ec25
    This last bit is what I was looking for, thank you.
    Originally posted by jondav
    sorry but without "detail" any conclusions you draw from your "case study" are valueless as they would be without true context

is this a degree level course or what?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter