Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 12th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    Microsoft Lumia 640. The worst phone ever
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    Microsoft Lumia 640. The worst phone ever 12th Jun 17 at 12:01 PM
    Just wanted to compile a list of problems you and I have had with this phone, as a warning to customers. There have been so many I may have to return to add more...

First of all Windows 10 mobile doesn't have many Apps for it. Generally speaking App developers make their apps for Android and IoS and don't bother with Windows. This has left me without all sorts of popular apps and games.

The camera is truly terrible. It has an HDR option that crashes the phone! I tell no lie! I could be a memory card problem since it gets stuck saving perhaps, but in any case a warning would be good.
    The photo quality is terrible compared to my old Samsung Note and an Iphone.
    Also the video recording has developed a 'stutter'

Typing- theres no gap between the letters and it seems much more likely to hit the wrong key, I didn't have this problem with other phones at all. The screen update is really laggy too and it often thinks it is dragging a line.

Internet- screen really unresponsive and also has a strange habit of drag selecting areas of text rather than clicking through links. Either my fingers are dead or it will not click through until the 3rd or 4th attempt.

Wi-fi calling. Ok this is why I got this phone, the only reason (its cheaper on contract than the big players.) Warning - don't walk off when you have started a call on wi-fi calling- the phone doesn't realise and even if you have some regular network connection the call will drop just because the wifi signal has reduced.

.... to be continued
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 12th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    Windows phones were never good, why ever buy one?

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/797931/windows-phone-microsoft-stops-making-mobile-devices
    Last edited by ballyblack; 12-06-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    Not to mention the repair issues I referred to in this post
    Last edited by pmduk; 12-06-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 12th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:03 PM

Thanks for sharing, would explain a lot... stuck with this phone for almost a year until the contract runs out
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    window phones just a fad like the disc camera.

No apps like blackberry,
    I once ordered a windows phone with windows tablet deal from tescomobile, but these were returned 24 hours later as i hated them
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:14 PM
    I'd not call them a fad, that implies popularity. They were a failed attempt a entering a lucrative market.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    I'd not call them a fad, that implies popularity. They were a failed attempt a entering a lucrative market.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    A fad is when everyone wants one at first and then it soon fades as no one wants them.

Yes Microsofts attempt to get into the market even when they bought Nokia to run the phones, which failed so they sold Nokia
    Last edited by angryparcel; 12-06-2017 at 6:38 PM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    Yes, but there's no evidence there ever was a demand for Windows phones, hence my comment.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    Yes, but there's no evidence there ever was a demand for Windows phones, hence my comment.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    CPW had a run on them in the early days, but even MS stated on more than one occasion the Windows Phones was a lemon, so if the company behind then has no faith then how are they to succeed
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 13th Jun 17, 7:10 PM
    • 10,202 Posts
    • 9,347 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    I am an Android user but have a Lumia 8 series as a back up. The one major advantage of the Lumia range is battery life in comparison with Androids. The screen is ok too .

(I also have an old Nokia candy bar handset that I take as a back up on holiday which has proved its worh only recently when my mother-in-law had to leave the cruise and was stranded in Las Palmas. The huge battery life on the Nokia lasted 10 days!)

But I agree that the Windows phones were never developed and missed the boat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter