Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ian Skinflint
    • By Ian Skinflint 12th Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ian Skinflint
    Laundrette's tumble dryer burned my washing
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    Laundrette's tumble dryer burned my washing 12th Jun 17 at 11:58 AM
    I used my local laundrette the other day to dry a load of sheets. This is something I do regularly - wash at home, and if the weather isn't playing ball, go to the laundrette to do the drying.

I put the same sized load in as I usually do, and the same number of coins for the machine. However, when the cycle finished and I opened the door, there was a faint smell of burning and the sheets were too hot to touch by hand. When I'd managed to pull them from the machine, it was clear that they had singed to the point that they had discoloured.

I called who I thought was the owner of the laundrette, and they visited to look at the affected machine and my damaged sheets, but told me that they weren't actually the owner, and were only authorised to give compensation of £30 towards the damage.

I told the owner's proxy that this wouldn't be acceptable because to replace the sheets as new (they are very nearly new as it is) would cost close to £150, and his response was that the owner would say that I shouldn't have put more than one coin in the machine at a time, and that he would look at the CCTV to see how long the sheets had been in for.

My response was that a) the need to not put more than one coin it at a time should be listed on signs if it's important, b) the length of the cycle shouldn't affect the temperature of the machine, and on with cottons in on a cotton setting, even a prolonged cycle shouldn't cause burning, and c) the fact that 5 out of 10 machines in the place always seem to have "out of order" signs on them show that the owner needs to replace his machines or maintain them better.

On that last point I was told that, when the guy I was talking to had last mentioned this to the owner, he'd told him that "new machines are expensive". This set alarm bells ringing that this person might not be a model business owner, so I'm fully expecting to have to fight to get my damages covered.

Assuming that I do have to fight, what are my rights and how should I approach things? I know that if it comes to it I can take the small claims court approach, but is this worthwhile for such a small amount? From what I can tell I'd need to pay £25 + 5% upfront, and perhaps more if a court hearing is needed. I'd really rather it didn't have to go this far, so do I have options short of that fairly drastic step?
Page 2
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 12,528 Posts
    • 8,026 Thanks
    photome
    Don't tumble driers have a thermostat?
    Originally posted by naedanger
    I a man not sure all commercial dryers do have thermostats, if you mean a cut out
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I a man not sure all commercial dryers do have thermostats, if you mean a cut out
    Originally posted by photome
    i dont think they do.

cant see any mention of thermostat on this one

https://www.catering-appliance.com//samsung-dv431aep-gd212-dryer
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 12th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    naedanger
    Originally posted by photome
    I mean how else does it maintain a temperature setting without one?
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 12th Jun 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    naedanger
    i dont think they do.

cant see any mention of thermostat on this one

https://www.catering-appliance.com//samsung-dv431aep-gd212-dryer
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    It says it has 5 temperature settings. How does the dryer maintain one of these settings if it doesn't have a thermostat?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Jun 17, 8:32 PM
    • 18,861 Posts
    • 9,012 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I mean how else does it maintain a temperature setting without one?
    If there was no automatic cut out then the machine would eventually burst into flames. Of course the machine is prevented from overheating by a thermostat.

The main safety feature in launderettes etc is that the machine cools down when the money runs out, but domestic dryers don't routinely burn clothes so why would a (far more robust) industrial one?

The OP of this thread claims that his sheets "discoloured", but that's not the same as being burned.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 12-06-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    It says it has 5 temperature settings. How does the dryer maintain one of these settings if it doesn't have a thermostat?
    some have digital sensors these days
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 18,861 Posts
    • 9,012 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    they could buy a new once every other month
    It would be one heck of an outlay if launderettes routinely had to replace their machines once every other month!

At that rate of failure, I'd expect complete closure of the business before new machines.

The machines may be in need of maintenance, but I sincerely doubt they will be replaced en masse.

some have digital sensors
    How do you think those work? They are linked to a thermostat.
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 12,528 Posts
    • 8,026 Thanks
    photome
    If there was no automatic cut out then the machine would eventually burst into flames. Of course the machine is prevented from overheating by a thermostat.

The main safety feature in launderettes etc is that the machine cools down when the money runs out, but domestic dryers don't routinely burn clothes so why would a (far more robust) industrial one?

The OP of this thread claims that his sheets "discoloured", but that's not the same as being burned.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    You seem to be very sure that all commercial dryers do have thermostats to prevent overheating, As posted I am fairly sure that not all do
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 12th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    naedanger
    some have digital sensors these days
    Digital electronic thermostats do exist but they are still thermostats.

The thermostat is simply the component that ensures the temperature is maintained at a certain setting. Without one the machine operator would need to keep switching the heating element on and off to maintain the desired setting. The machine does not just keep the heating component on indefinitely. It switches it on and off automatically to maintain the correct temperature.

By the way if you look at the exploded view (see link below) of the machine you linked to previously, and search for "thermostat", you will see it contains a thermostat.

https://www.catering-appliance.com/product-pdf/5fe308e87ef64516149b445fa90ba961/samsung-dv431aep-exploded-diagram.pdf
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 9:12 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    It would be one heck of an outlay if launderettes routinely had to replace their machines once every other month!

At that rate of failure, I'd expect complete closure of the business before new machines.
    No the OP says the launderette always has 5 out of the 10 machines out of order, so spending 5 to 10k in one go will be a lot to find, but say if they can replace 1 every 3 month until all 10 are replaced.
    in a launderette dryers and washers have a shorter lifespan to a domestic washer or dryer as they are operating 8 hrs at least 5 days a week
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 18,861 Posts
    • 9,012 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    No the OP says the launderette always has 5 out of the 10 machines out of order, so spending 5 to 10k in one go will be a lot to find, but say if they can replace 1 every 3 month until all 10 are replaced.
    I'm not sure you appreciate how (small) businesses work.

Where do you anticipate the money is going to come from to replace all those machines in such a short space of time?
    • Ian Skinflint
    • By Ian Skinflint 12th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ian Skinflint
    The discolouration came from burning. There was a definite smell of scorching when I opened the door, and while the sheets in general were tinged towards yellow/brown, in places it was much more obvious that they were on their way to catching fire.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I'm not sure you appreciate how (small) businesses work.

Where do you anticipate the money is going to come from to replace all those machines in such a short space of time?
    i was only suggesting they replace them in stages rather all at once. Eventually they will need to be replaced or he will not have a business, so all this should be in his business plan and annual projections to allow fund to be used or put to one side to replace machines.
    i have ran my own small business since 1999 so know how they work
    • Ian Skinflint
    • By Ian Skinflint 12th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ian Skinflint
    I've used a lot of laundrettes over the years, and this one is neither cheaper than usual nor quieter. In fact, it's one of the busier I've ever used, though this might be an impression given by the fact that not all the machines actually work.

Wholesale replacement of the machines isn't necessarily needed, but having so many of the same machines out of order for so long shows that their policies are in some ways lax.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 18,861 Posts
    • 9,012 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I think this thread is running a little off topic now...
    • Ian Skinflint
    • By Ian Skinflint 12th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ian Skinflint
    Interesting, though.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 12th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    What load do the tumble dryers take? I've seen commercial ones as small as 8kg and going up to around the 20kg mark. Is it possible they were overloaded? Two king sized beds worth of bedding would be around the 16kg mark (I base this on my king sized bedding from one bed filling my 8kg WM and TD to capacity)
    • Ian Skinflint
    • By Ian Skinflint 12th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ian Skinflint
    It's 16KG of washing (our 8kg machine filled to capacity twice), and the dryers are 16KG beasts too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

415Posts Today

4,634Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin