Laundrette's tumble dryer burned my washing

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2017 at 6:36PM
    It will as once the cotton is dry then it will just heat up and heat up until eventually it would ignite.

Don't tumble driers have a thermostat?
  • It shouldn't be hot enough to ignite things with only the moisture content saving things from fire.

Anyway, that side of things is something of a tangent, as this was the same load in the same machine for the same length of time that I've done many times in the past. Perhaps there's an argument that I should have checked on progress regardless, but I strongly suspect a fault with the machine, and that fault may have been avoided had the owner taken it upon himself to keep the machines properly maintained.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    naedanger wrote: »
    cloths can still singe and ignite with the heat in the drum, but in launderettes where the machines are working about 8 hrs a day for at least 5 days, things can fail, so regular maintenance is a must.

The OP states
    c) the fact that 5 out of 10 machines in the place always seem to have "out of order" signs on them show that the owner needs to replace his machines or maintain them better.

That in itself would stop me from using such establishment as it shows lack of care
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ... but in launderettes where the machines are working about 8 hrs a day for at least 5 days, things can fail, so regular maintenance is a must.

I think that was the op's point.

I cannot see how clothes can singe or burn if the correct temperature is set unless there is a failure with the machine.
  • Since my last post, I've received a call from the owner who was much more understanding and less defensive than I was prepared for. He said that his insurance will only pay out to a certain amount for "informal" claims without proof of purchase, so I'm going to see if I can find old online invoices and the like to get what he needs. Before investigating that possibility he was all but suggesting I raise a small claims court case as being the best way to get his insurance to pay out, so that's still there as an option if absolutely necessary.

Thanks for all the advice so far, though.
  • angryparcel
    a good launderette should have machines insured for failure as no machines, no business.
    just did a quick search and you are talking £900 to £1,400 for a commercial tumble dryer, so yes replacing 5 or more is expensive, but they could buy a new once every other month, but by the sounds of it they are not making enough money to look after the machines they have
  • angryparcel
    he was all but suggesting I raise a small claims court case as being the best way to get his insurance to pay out,
    Dont forget a small claims case will cost you money and is against the owner or the business (whichever you name in the claim). The insurance company could wash their hands of it as you have made it a legal case.
  • I know the claim will cost me money, but even with those costs it's better than the amount he seems prepared to offer without insurance backing.

Could you elaborate on the insurance company being able to wash their hands of it if a small claims court claim was made? My interpretation was that he has business insurance against exactly that sort of thing...
  • angryparcel
    I know the claim will cost me money, but even with those costs it's better than the amount he seems prepared to offer without insurance backing.

Could you elaborate on the insurance company being able to wash their hands of it if a small claims court claim was made? My interpretation was that he has business insurance against exactly that sort of thing...
    yes insurance if you claim direct to the owner or business, then he will have to show proof to his insurance company, but with small claims as it is a legal process it would depend if his business insurance provide legal assistance, if it does not then he would have to fight the claim himself as a business owner
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    naedanger wrote: »

I a man not sure all commercial dryers do have thermostats, if you mean a cut out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure