Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tightwirecat
    • By tightwirecat 12th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tightwirecat
    Car Allowance vs Company Car
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    Car Allowance vs Company Car 12th Jun 17 at 9:18 AM
    Hi. My company offers the choice of a car allowance or a company car.
    Is there a way to calculate the different value of each?
    So a car allowance is obviously extra money, although it is taxed, but then need to take off servicing, insurance etc. A company car is no money, but I will get taxed, but have no idea how this works.
    Is there any way to calculate it or is it all smoke and mirrors?
    thanks
Page 1
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    Hi there, I had a similar thread when I started my new job.

I've now done tens of thousands of miles in the company car since getting one in November, not the kind of wear and tear I would have wanted on my own asset! Not to mention that I've had two breakdowns and it was great that it wasn't my problem to deal with!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5504660
    • PossiblyOverworked
    • By PossiblyOverworked 12th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PossiblyOverworked
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    Do you have to travel for business or is the company car (or cash) more of a perk based on status / senority?

(At my old place we had Senior Managers who were eligible for a company car but didn't actually have to travel, it was just part of the senior management package!)

If you have to travel - approx. how much per year?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,319Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin