Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Quicklite
    • By Quicklite 12th Jun 17, 8:55 AM
    • 63Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Quicklite
    Flat renewal question
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:55 AM
    Flat renewal question 12th Jun 17 at 8:55 AM
    Hi guys,
    Just got a quick question if that's okay. I've rented a flat and it's lovely. Have initially signed 6 month. The estate agent has emailed to ask if I'd like to let it fall to periodic tenancy / or renewal for a fixed term - there is no fee for either option for me as the tenant. Had initially paid £300 lettings fee.

Could I ask - from the landlord's perspective - is the fixed term usually preferable for a landlord? assuming the tenant is normal (the LL is a company I think / though the lettings have not dealt with them previously so don't know their preference).

(it's a lovely space in a small town / been wanting to move back to a bigger city - though I think another 6 month here is workable)

Thanks
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 7,394 Posts
    • 7,933 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    If i was a landlord I'd prefer a tenant i knew would be there for the next 6 months as it gives me one less thing to worry about.
    From your POV you'd need to be confident that you are happy to be locked into 6 months - "workable" doesn't fill me with confidence you are super keen on that commitment?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    I am a landlord and I have the kind of properties that have a queue of people wanting to rent one when one becomes available so it doesn't make any difference if the tenancy is periodic or not. Some of our tenants have been on periodic tenancies for over 10 years. We do what the tenant wants.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 12th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    Honestly as a LL I'd want a minimum 12month fixed term first, so that I'm not reletting (so void, hassle of decorating/fixing/cleaning, advertising, paperwork etc within a few months). However after that, I'd rather it just go rolling rather than several 6/12month fixed terms.

- Tenant can just move out at the end of fixed term or stay and go rolling, without having to give me notice of their which doesn't give me notice to start looking for tenants, lining up agents, people to do minor repairs etc.
    - One month’s notice is plenty to start looking for tenants etc, would start much earlier anyway.
    - No need to reserve PI / worry about deposits after each 6/12months
    - Easier to evict using Section 21 + court if tenant becomes difficult / late paying / damages / nuisance to neighbours without having to prove grounds of a Section 8 notice to evict mid term
    - Fixed term doesn’t give LL much security anyway as if a tenant left mid term and stopped paying rent, it could be a long, expensive and likely fruitless process to sue and actually recover money for rent arrears without a forwarding address. Alternatively it would be a long process to formally end the tenancy via Section 8 and re rent the property to mitigate losses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin