Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 12th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 995Posts
    • 5,280Thanks
    katy_ann
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 12/06
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 12/06 12th Jun 17 at 8:19 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016
    Little Man Born on 25/11/2016
    My Diary - The Diary Of A Skint New Mummy....

£2 Savers Club 2017 No.4
Page 2
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 13th Jun 17, 8:45 AM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 21,212 Thanks
    Julie67
    Morning all,

Sorry not been posting daily, with going away and then youngest son home for a few days, real life has got in the way.
    It's our mega birthday week, Youngest DH is 21 today, DD birthday on Thursday and DH on Friday, plus fathers day and MIL 80th and best friends birthday on Sunday
    We have given youngest money as we did with the other 3. He's about to have a year in Australia so it will come in handy.
    Todays plans include
    -Working on my ebay shop. I have a mega haul of items to list this week
    -do a meal plan. Been hopeless just lately, must get back on track with this
    -decide on tea, pull something out of the freezer (DS is off out with his friends tonight
    -need to pick up a spray bottle to dilute and use my Zoflora
    -plan the barbecue on friday sort of a joint celebration
    -Twins, I'm planning to do the same things with creditors. I've got two unenforceable who I will be offering 10%, 3 who are still trying to find it and one no response at all!

That's it for today folks, have a good Tuesday x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 6,271 Posts
    • 35,508 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning. Ah I feel soooo good! A combination of a day off - work has been relentless and intense for weeks now which I haven't coped with very well another one of my clients has died I found out yesterday - no outside commitments other than ballet at 2 and almost an 1.5 hours in the hot tub with a bottle of wine last night when I got home at

I have been to the allotment for an hour this morning. Harvested a calabrese (broccoli), beetroot, broad beans, radishes, strawberries, a couple of mange tout, and a cucumber will have it all with dinner tonight a ys roast chicken (for the meat eaters)

Today I will:

* pay cc - will do it after posting
    * by virtue of above check banking
    * hang up load of washing & put away yesterday's
    * vacuum throughout
    * nip to sm to way home to pick up oat milk and bread
    * need to check a couple of £5 vouchers/MOC as they have a short shelf life
    * go through fridge and make sure nothing perishes. There are going to be some casualties as have been too busy to stay on top of stuff recent. Anything that can be will be given to the worms
    * go and return some of madam's school unifrom
    really start planning what I need to get to make madam's water/sand station for her birthday in 3 weeks
    pot on peppers & sow some items

Lastly (but certainly not least!) another hot tub session depending on bank acc might treat us to another bottle
    Last edited by determined new ms; 13-06-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2438.68/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1435 Veg grown £192.56
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 17,194 Thanks
    FatVonD
    DNMS This is cute:

http://www.remodelaholic.com/build-kids-sand-water-table-old-sink/
    Make £5 a day in July £65.73/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 17,194 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all

YS stuff for lunch today and left a few minutes early to buy a multipack of crisps and some more powder soup on the way to the station.

I'm going to the art shop shortly to see if I can find a cheapish A2 sized plastic folder to put all of DSXGF's paintings in to return them to her. If they are too expensive I will give her my old leather portfolio which has been made redundant by the ipad.

I'm kind of planning on chicken and chips for dinner tonight with a side salad.

I watered the veggies this morning but will get out and do the whole garden tonight. I also need to plant up my hanging baskets again as they are seriously under performing. I have a couple of nemesia which will be nice planted at nose height.

Have a great day everyone!
    Make £5 a day in July £65.73/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    • 3,805 Posts
    • 23,730 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi June Joy-Seekers,

It's my last day-off.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Checked online banking.

* Keeping an eye on Broadband Allowance.

* Did RM Surveys.

* Get some exercise at the outdoor pool. Didn't go to fancy expensive pool in town. Had a long shower before coming home.

* Renewed Car Breakdown Cover with Start Rescue. £49.50. I think that's really cheap.

* Post stamps sold on eBay re-using an old envelope.

Onwards and upwards.
    Last edited by allydowd; 13-06-2017 at 2:21 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £3550
    Survey Rewards 2017: £91
    Swim for Sanity: 3700m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Afternoon everyone
    Still feeling topsy-turvy, just feel it is a week of no routine. Also feel it's the end of an era as my DD has her last exam next week, I have asked to run her and pick her up as it will be my last school run, that will be it no more school. DD has asked for more shifts at work as she is saving for a car.
    So decided today that I needed a project. Small back bedroom used by my niece and guests is in desperate need of decorating. So have been looking at ideas and costings.
    I hate diy and decorating with a passion and I'm going to have to pay for someone to come in.
    But it gives me something to plan, and it will take me time to pack up sort out bits and hopefully give me some motivation to get things done.
    If anyone has see my motivation, send it home will you
    Project back bedroom planned for the end of July
    Still keeping my MSE ways.
    Meeting tonight for a hour
    Eating from cupboards and freezer this week, as have so much in the freezer that isn't being used.
    DBF daughters birthday this week, presents all sorted
    Slowly getting paperwork done that I put off .
    Was up at 5am this morning, have no idea why but ended up collapsing onto the settee for a snooze later which has made me feel wonky.
    Right off to look at quirky lighting......love lighting that is different
    Have a good afternoon everyone
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 6,271 Posts
    • 35,508 Thanks
    determined new ms

Thanks FVD it is!

This is what I'm making:

http://frugalfun4boys.com/2016/04/20/make-pvc-pipe-sand-water-table/
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 13th Jun 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 17,684 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Not really got much to say but thought I'd say hello...

I've not been the best at staying on the wagon this month but hey ho - more to life sometimes!

Desperately need to clean and tidy the house but CBA...

Going to book a holiday tonight so not DFW-esque but we definitely want to get away this Christmas (long story!)

Here's my DFW-strategy just in case it helps anyone:
    - check sky scanner for the dates I wanted - searched for 'everywhere'
    - searched flights a few days either side but still over Christmas - saved around £200 by going a couple of days before
    - found the cheapest flights to a location that interested me
    - checked expedia flights and hotel deals for that location (some are as cheap as just flights on their own)
    - got 3% cashback for expedia booking

Now I just need to check some other combos of hotel and flight to see if any are cheaper but just as good.... Then I'll be ready to book.

Like last year we'll use Crimbo money from our parents as spending money so it won't work out too expensive at all.

DNMS - that looks like an ace water and sand pit - I might send that onto my BIL as everyone says he never does anything. That could be a wee project for my niece.
    Oooh Happy Kitties -end of an era indeed! Get that project back bedroom up and running
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Jun 17, 10:17 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 17,194 Thanks
    FatVonD
    That is cool DNMS!

La E, don't forget there is a thread on one of the boards here to post what you have found and at what price and various MSE approved travel agents will try to beat the price for you.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 17,194 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Chicken and chips cooked, it was full price, pre-prepared chicken but I chose the flavour that had money off. YS sandwiches bought for tomorrow.

The garden smells lovely tonight (I've taken to eating my dinner out there), the star Jasmine is flowering, it's gorgeous.

I need to get up early tomorrow to drop my repeat prescription to the GP, I'm then going to try to park near my old house and travel in from that station, just have to remember to get off a stop earlier in the evening too!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Jun 17, 7:01 AM
    • 6,271 Posts
    • 35,508 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys. I've woken up to the horrific news of the fire in a tower block in London. Feeling really traumatised by the events in news recently

Plans for today:

* Going to the allotment shortly
    * quick shower after
    * meeting up with a friend and her little girl at a lkocal park for a play date at 10.30. Will take packed lunch and drinks
    * madam has school session this afternoon
    * friend coming round to catch up and have hot tub session this afternoon
    * still need to vacuum
    * do a load of washing & hang out
    * all meals from stores
    * read martin's email
    * need to do a bit of work later. Still trying to catch up! Will try to keep it to 1/2 hour
    * still need to go through the fridge
    * hope to cook batch of beetroot picked yesterday and bake a cake

Ok that's all. Happy hump day guys x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 14-06-2017 at 9:10 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 14th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    Good start for today ..

Already ..
    Made my PAD
    Cooked tonight's dinner on stove for boys tonight (I'm at work)
    Made a batch of cakes and muffins
    Did 3 of my workouts all on DVD so cost nothing .. Whoop

Still to do ..
    Off to work soon for first shift
    Take DS to the dentist and post ebay sales from last night
    Do other workout for today
    Sort PayPal and hopefully another PAD
    Put washing in and hopefully get on the line
    Then off to work for tonight's shift

Busy day but I like to be kept busy lol
    This time I'm sticking with it !!

May £264.56/£300 NSD lost track but much more than last month / 38 June £216.30/£300 NSD 15/30 July £120.21/£300 NSD 6/15
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1753.88
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Jun 17, 8:58 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    La e ur motivation with cleaning sounds like it has done a runner with mine

After alot of price comparisons project back bedroom got underway last night. £140 spent on flooring, paint and bits but I did get a 3 4 2 on my paint and 15% off my flooring, that was extra to it being half price.
    Have seen things now to start slotting into the whole design which I am going to buy out of my general budget gradually so that I don't miss the monies. I can now take my time to pack up, sort out and generally get rid of any junk and rubbish in the room.
    Still on the hunt for my quirky lighting
    Some paperwork to do today but need to go out first to do a few bits that I've put off from doing.
    Some shopping basics needed but going in armed with my list to stick to it
    First load of washing on to make the most of the good weather and will get the second load ready.
    Must def run the hoover over today.
    Still going to be eating from the fridge/freezer, have some potatoes that need using up,so wedges later me thinks
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 17,194 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all

I didn't go to the GPs this morning as I realised I have
    More ADs than I thought so it can wait till the weekend.

I have my YS sandwich and some biscuits with me. I discovered this morning that DS didn't eat his dinner last night so tonight's dinner will just be a YS buffet.

Auby is under aphid attack but it's early enough to hand pick them I think.

I messaged Zapper last night about my cheques, I am never using them again, it's been a month now and the others all pay really speedily direct to bank account.

Tonight I need to remember to put the bins out and do some more laundry.

I need to pick up a box to package all of DSXGF's shoes and get them in the car. She didn't turn up the other night so I need to get DS to contact her to arrange another time. Fond as I am of her I'd like to shift all the stuff.

Have a good day all
    • brednall
    • By brednall 14th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    brednall
    Hi to all

I used to be quite an active member of this forum but ashamed to say things have slipped of late. I ma now back in a safe part time job but still managing to spend needlessly. I am a crafter too so find I spend on goodies for my hobby but see very little return as time is not always there to make use of everything I have so maybe time for a clearout purge and use the money to repay the spends on my CC.

It is my sons birthday in a little over a week so I do have to shop for that on Friday although we are clubbing together with grandparents to pay for his new bed so it will only be a few small bits for him to open on the actual day.

I must get back into surveys -only seem to get notifications from Valued Opinions and I have forgotten what the other goods ones were. So any pointers would be gratefully received

Thanks

Emma
    Baby daughter born 27/01/10 - Jessica Evie 8lbs 3ozs

Baby son born 26/06/11 - Daniel Alan 7lbs 2ozs
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Note to self..........never take DD shopping with me again.....spent far more than planned

Brednall I know what u mean about crafting, I'm a scrapbooker and do some card making- haven't done any in awhile....... the cost can soon mount up with crafting goodies, especially with different designs and ranges coming out throughout the year. I could happily spend on crafts and not feel guilty about it,but that soon mounts up, a definite weakness of mine
    • Twins
    • By Twins 14th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Twins
    Evening all,

Late post today, time just got away with me.

I'm still covering for my boss and it's been a really stressful day today. Team members playing up and being a pain in the rear on purpose I think. Can't wait until the boss is back and I can hand it all back. I seriously want a V&T tonight and forget all about today!

Can't believe the news of the fire today, so sad. This is not so far from me so it's devastating to hear it on the local news. Awful

Today's been a NSD and I think that's just because I've been too busy. But I did:

* Strip 2 beds and got them washed and put outside to dry
    * All meals from home
    * Re-ordered hubby a new Nectar card which he broke by sitting on it and he's got £108 to on it so we need it!
    * Got 2 workouts in mid morning when I had no calls from home
    * Add £2 coin to the savings Jar

Enjoy your sunny evening everyone
    LBM April 2011 Debt £30,800 now in DMP land
    Self Managing my DMP May 2017

Slowly chipping away at my debts: April 17 £17,388 June 17 £11,268.06
    Debt free date: Jan 2023 Dec 2022. April 2019 I will be free
    £2 Savers club #39
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 27,405 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hey
    Life plods on as usual... Work, marking and sleep. Nothing much else to report - there is news to come from work soon but it's all quiet at the moment so can't say much. It is good though and I'm looking forward to the future there more than I have done in a while.
    I am with DNMS, my blood runs cold at the thought of how much bad and sad news there has been recently. Thoughts are with everyone affected by this.
    I also think that I'm losing my mse ways. I'm starting to fritter money left, right and centre. I have the man that does the garden and now I am looking into getting a cleaner. These are such ridiculous spends and I feel like the laziest human being on the planet but I really don't want to do these things. I hate them. I hate gardening. I hate cleaning. I know I'm not really lazy but I feel it, and I know that even my own mother is judging me...
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 17,194 Thanks
    FatVonD
    CCL, as a fellow working mother I'm not judging you!

Spending your time earning money doing something you enjoy/are good at to pay someone else to do something they enjoy/are good at makes the world go round, think of it as a form of bartering
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 14th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 3,805 Posts
    • 23,730 Thanks
    allydowd
    Heard today that my job is being made permanent and that I don't have to be interviewed again for it.

Just waiting on the paperwork.

Excited and terrified simultaneously.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £3550
    Survey Rewards 2017: £91
    Swim for Sanity: 3700m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,076Posts Today

9,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin