Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Jun 17, 6:17 AM
    • 2,775Posts
    • 37,346Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 12 June 2017
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 12 June 2017 12th Jun 17 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 12 June 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, cloudy and overcast but dry and warm.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS2 now getting ready for work, DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Lunch yesterday was a pork loin joint, roasties, mash, carrots, broc, HG broad beans, cauli in a cheese sauce, yorkshires and gravy. Dinner tonight is pasta in a creamy mushroom sauce with gammon. I cooked the gammon yesterday whilst also cooking the lunch, it does need slicing though.

We got a couple of jobs done over the weekend that needed doing, and we had intended on getting them done for several weekends, so they are crossed of the "to do" list. I have a load in the WM at the moment, if that finishes before I leave for work I'll put it on the line.

Back to work today, don't know how busy we'll be, but hopefully steady so it keeps me focused. Mondays' are now my longest day.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-06-2017 at 6:28 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jun 17, 6:19 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:19 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:19 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

Hugs to those that are unwell or having a difficult time at the moment.

Thank you for your well wishes yesterday. My hay fever was a little bit better, at least my eyes were not streaming so much so I did feel a lot more comfortable.

I am watering a neighbours garden while she is away and when I was doing this yesterday evening, the nozzle on the hose pipe came flying off and I’m suddenly soaked from head to toe. I would have been dryer if I had of gone for a swim in the sea fully clothed. Just to top it off the two teenage boys next door saw the whole thing happen and couldn’t contain their fits of laughter, so I decided the best thing was just to laugh with them. One of them did come around to fix the nozzle back on while I went home to change though. I am hoping for a less eventful day today.

I managed to get all of my housework and washing and ironing up to date yesterday. I want to start paining the internal doors. I think that if I take it slowly I am capable of doing this myself. When I was younger I used to do all of my own decorating and I think that provided I can do this health wise it will be ok. The unknown is, whether or not I will be physically able. If I don’t try I will never know, and I can’t afford to get a decorator in at the moment.

I need to go and get something for dinner tonight out of the freezer to defrost.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 39,303 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    Morning All

Still raining! Washing will be done when I get home from work, DW and bin emptied.

Made a bag yesterday, not done any sewing for a while and quite enjoyed it. I have a couple of things cut out so may do some more this evening, then again I may not as I'm playing netball after work - staff vs children!

Just off for a swim before another day at the madhouse. Hope everyone's well, take care. XX
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning.

It'll be Monday again then

Excelled myself on not sleeping last night. Went to bed about 1 and was up again at 4!! I'm completely and utterly shattered, my eyes are blood shot and I look as bad as I feel.

Roll on bedtime

Hope everyone is well and have a good day one and all x
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    Good morning
    Thank you for the thread nmlc.
    Lovely sunny day here.
    Been awake since 4.30 but did have an early night. We were going to watch F1 Canadian Grand Prix last night on tv but it didn't start till 10.30 and I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I recorded it and will watch today. Won't put news on in case I hear the result.
    Yesterday had a good day in the garden, grass cut, paths weeded and strawberries picked. So many strawberries I'll have to freeze them, but freezer already full.
    Have a good day everyone
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 32,798 Thanks
    Gers
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    Good morning all.

Another dreadful start to the day, blustery winds, low thick cloud and rain.

I slept well and am refreshed. I have to finish off my assessment stuff as I just looked at it over the weekend. Then I'll go back into the little barn and finish off the job I started yesterday.

Fridge is stuffed so no need to go out unless the weather clears and I do a tip run. The joys of my days!

I hope everyone has a happy Monday.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jun 17, 7:28 AM
    • 10,754 Posts
    • 149,515 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:28 AM
    Good Morning Everyone, we had a 'beastie' of some kind yowling away in the wee small hours for quite some time last night, not certain what it was but it was LOUD! finally got back to sleep and surfaced at 5.30.

The painting in the Hall etc. is finished walls at least and He Who Knows is starting on our bedroom walls today, he'll do the gloss on the woodwork everywhere later in the week. Hall looks so much bigger as the paint is lighter coloured and I've de-cluttered us a bit with a shelf coming down and a notice board not going back up. Now on a drive to de-clutter the whole house as I'm not going to move it all when we eventually do and I'd like to smarten us up a bit as we seem to have collected 'bits and pieces' of different coloured furniture over the years rather than a co-ordinated look in any of the rooms. It will take time and some discipline from me but I WILL let it all go!!!

No real plans for today other than going through all the kitchen cupboards to sort through equipment and crocks, bakeware and glass and see just what I CAN let go.....I may be some time!

Have a good day all xxx
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Jun 17, 7:28 AM
    • 1,447 Posts
    • 16,955 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Dry but very blustery here in EA, the wind really got to the girls on their morning walk and they were both dashing about, picking up the fallen branches.
    Not much planned for today, my windows need a good clean inside and have been putting it off so think need to just crack on. Food wise there is some peppered mackerel fillets in the fridge, can have them with pot salad etc and if OH is hungry when he gets home there is enough for him too. He just texted to say the hotel was quite noisy so hasn't slept well so won't be surprised if he drops off at the cricket!

Have a good day folks x
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    • 3,541 Posts
    • 20,482 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    Morning folks. Miserable, damp and windy here too and not forecast to improve much!

We are off up to the caravan later this morning. We can only stay until Wednesday afternoon as we need to be back for the DGDs eating and sleeping Wed night. As well as the trek to Leeds for Mr TA's monthly appointment at the Oncology Clinic on Thursday. But we want to check that the awning is standing up to the running repairs we did Thursday and also measure up for monsoon straps (thanks NAN!) for added protection against the elements!

Nothing much planned for the couple of days we are there but will probably have a trip out somewhere tomorrow and treat ourselves to lunch out. I won't need to pack much in the way of clothes and food for such a short visit but will get on with that after brekkie.

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) for the poorlies, sad or worried who want them. Take care whatever you are up to xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 12th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Off to take mother to physio as she has bursitis in her hip bit of a waste of time as she will not do the exercises and she just argues with the physio so for this reason i will sit in the car outside and i hope the physio asks her how she is getting on with the exercises for her back and that she is suitably embarrassed.
    Had a nice weekend went for a walk with Dolly on the beach and she had her first ice-cream
    Weather today looks good so WM is whirring away
    Dinner tonight pie n mash
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 12th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 16,691 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

It's dry but very cloudy out today. I am enjoying a burst of energy so have loaded the dishwasher, sorted out washing and put the first load on. I am going to tackle the living room in a minute as DD14 has her therapist coming over today.

DD16 has two exams today and DD17 has gone back to school after a few days off. Hubby went off to work quite happily although he has a sore arm and elbow so will need to make an appointment to see the doctor at some point soon.

My bad mood has lifted thank goodness as I was so very cross at everything and everyone. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it just happens every now and then. I feel much more like my usual cheerful self now .

I watched a cookery programme yesterday (the Iceland one if anyone is interested) and the chef made a baked Moroccan rice and chicken dish which looked lovely so I am going to have a go at it tonight. I have shopping being delivered in an hour or so and I hope some of the ingredients I need come with it.

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    May GC - 202/200
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,399 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

I had a nice weekend. Over too quickly as always. I played football on Saturday morning (in goals so as not to aggravate my leg) and I then went to my bosses wedding in the evening which he seemed grateful for. Only 2 of us managed it from the office so I'm glad I went.

Yesterday I gave the flat a deep clean and then invited my gran and step brother over for dinner - my first time hosting. I washed my bedding which is a think white cotton and I cannot for the life of me get the creases out!! I was ironing it for an hour!!! I've resigned myself to a semi creased bed for the time being and I'll give it to the professionals next time.

Another busy work week ahead. Decided to skip the gym this morning and opt for a longer lie, so I might go after work.

Happy Monday everyone
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 14,925 Posts
    • 60,363 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Weather a bit pants here but thats ok i'm not going anywhere.

Good news (though by telling you ive probably jinxed myself). It seems like my sleep issues have been resolved without the aid of antihistamines.

Blackun's 3 am dump seems to be a thing of the past. She goes out last thing but whats made the difference is live yogurt. Since ive been giving her live yogurt she's only occasionally asked to go out. She usually wakes me now at 5am which i can live with.

Hubby, well he is riddled with arthritis. He has pins in his ankle from a bad break he had about 15 years ago which now causes him a great amount of pain and restless legs in bed (which keeps me awake). He's also got pain his shoulder which is due to wear and tear more than anything which interupts his sleep when he moves. Well your going to laugh at this. I read about putting a bar of soap under the bed sheets relieving arthritis and leg cramps. Well, never doing things by halves i put two at the bottom of the bed and this morning put one at the top. Jury is out on the top bar curing his shoulder but the two at the bottom of the bed seems to be working brilliantly. It cant be the placebo effect because i only told him last night when he noticed a bar of soap fall out of the bottom of the bed and thought i'd gone mad.... but he's admitted that it seems to be working. Like i said, ive probably jinxed it now...

I said i'd get my daughter some vests and babygrows for when my Granddaughter arrives in 4 weeks and had great pleasure in ordering her 9 pretty girly ones last night. Cant wait to receive them. I think i'm excited as she is. As for babygrows, i cant find any that i'm happy with but i will keep looking.

Men went off to work this morning but I didnt hear them, i slept through the usual Monday morning pandemonium. I'm still catching up on lost sleep and i still feel like ive got a hangover from having two halves of lager and blackcurrant on Saturday....Its rubbish being me at times.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 12,556 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Good morning and thank you for the thread nmlc.

It has been raining but has stopped now, though rather dull and dismal. I'm only working one day this week and this is not it so woohoo! I've no special plans, just a pootle about though I really should iron some stuff, cotton tops and linen trousies.

I've got a loaf in the bread maker and washing ready to go in but need to check the weather forecast as I've already got stuff airing on the rack and no space left.

Hope everyone has a good day..
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 14,673 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning, ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Very grey morning still windy, bed linen in the washer, hope it dries on the line, cannot do with it draped everywhere.

Bad night, woke for the loo at 2.30 did not get back to sleep until after 5am, so washed out this morning, will do a scrappy Monday clean, cannot be bothered to do more.

We were taking my neighbour to Downton to collect some curtains this morning but P is not at all well, so trip is off. He is on end of life care at home. Will ring her this morning and find out how he is this morning.

OH preparing to go out to the garden. I noticed this morning that the orchid in the bathroom has put up another flower spike, just shows how often I look at it. Seems to like it in the steamy atmosphere.

Lamb, jacket spuds and salad tonight I think, the lamb was delicious yesterday, we have some strawberries to finish for dessert.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 12,023 Posts
    • 33,747 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

TA busy week by the sound of it so enjoy your break
    Karcher thats no sleep at all hope you can manage a nap or an early night...are you over thinking things?

Well its a really lovely day .....for November
    Raining and windy again so disappointing for June.

Some work to do from home today ...200 emails to sort and then trying to get back to some semblance of normal before the money fully runs out ...its not far off

Had to put off shopping visit till tomorrow but I will be making up some cottage pie and fishcakes portions to take round for her freezer. If they go in bin I will never know but at least I am trying.

Looking forward to my Book Club evening which is being hosted by one of the other girls and I believe she is cooking us Tapas which I love. It will of course be accompanied by copious amounts of Prosecco which is naughty for a Monday but hey ho. Have to admit I haven't finished the book but I figure I have a good excuse this time. Have the next book lined up already so the sun had better start shining then I can get some serious reading in this weekend.

Best get the mince started for the pies so have a good day everyone
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 15,083 Posts
    • 122,291 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and bright and breezy here in Kent ,I have my book club meeting this morning which I always enjoy. then round to Dds to sort DGS some lunch as he only has half a day at school because of his exams he has his las english one this morning.After lunch I shall set him a bit of tidying up in the garden(mainly breaking up some clapped out fencing.A bit of fresh air away from the books will do him good and he is a very obliging young man.Busy week this week coffee morning at U3A tomorrow and a U3A AGM on Wednesday. Henry finishes his exams on Friday so I am going to take him to lunch out some where nice I think as a special treat he deserves it as he has worked very hard over the past fortnight. He will be home until a few days in july when he has his induction for 6th form so I will have to think of things for us to do He is quite shy and doesn't go out often, but he will be OK as long as I keep him amused

Hope everyone has a good week almost half way through June already.

Enjoy you Monday what ever you are doing

Cheers JackieO xxx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 12th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 19,513 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

Blustery,showery and not very warm here today.Pooch has been for her walk but the grass cutting machine was in action on the park so she was a bit spooked
    I need to have a tidy and hoover round as I have a friend coming this afternoon,but DGS isnt coming tonight,we have a funeral tomorrow so I've had to swap my minding him to Wednesday this week.Had a busy weekend really,yesterday we crossed the Pennines to go to Leeds to meet with our nephews,its been too long since we saw them and their Dad.Went for a meal in a pub local to them but we had a nightmare getting there as the World Triathlon was on and every road we went up was closed.We got as near as we could then walked the rest of the way but we had a lovely afternoon and thankfully the traffic was a lot better going back on the M62.

We just had a snack when we got back then watched Vera and The Loch.I'm saving Poldark till I'm on my own as DH isnt bothered about watching that,although we did enjoy the original series together in the 70s

Right better get cracking,hope you all have a good day and those of you not feeling too good get better soon xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 88,328 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Its a bit grey here and very windy but I have a day off it is very much needed, I have left a moany letter at work re having two staff down at the weekend, there was only three of us in instead of five so I hope something is done about it as I am shattered

Going to have an easy day today just going to swish kitchen and take the dog out for her walk the rest of the day will be spent watching a film on the sofa

Enchiladas for dinner neither made them or eaten them before so looking forward to them.

Have good days all xxx
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 3,028 Posts
    • 35,767 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, good luck decluttering Mrs LW.

I have taken the day off sick, I' coughing and spluttering, kept waking up last night so I've been back to bed for a nap. I shall have a lazy day with my crochet.

I may have to put the heating on, as it's cold here, but there is some blue in the sky so hopefully it will warm up soo.

Have a good day everyone.

Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,010Posts Today

6,952Users online

Martin's Twitter