Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • firbank
    • By firbank 12th Jun 17, 2:00 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    firbank
    Ebay/Paypal not refunding me!
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:00 AM
    Ebay/Paypal not refunding me! 12th Jun 17 at 2:00 AM
    Ok so I purchase a expensive game from Ebay, it arrives with a damaged envelope and cracked case and game inside, I contact seller and get no response so open a returns, send it back and no response then suddenly seller escalates and Ebay finds in their favour then suspends me but doesn't say why.

I then open a Paypal case and give seller chance to defend themselves but again they escalate and Paypal also finds in their favour, I contact Paypal to find seller claims the envelope was empty and to of reported me to police!

I state I have receipt stating weight to show it couldn't of been empty, and Paypal reopens the case and tells me to email them the receipt, I do so and wait a few days for Paypal to close claim saying they can't confirm item is returned to seller!!

They have the scan of receipt plus the tracking number showing it returned to sender, as well as google showing the same returns postcode and details for purchases!!

So this is a vent as well as a question of "am I getting messed around?" and asking any rights I have.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 58,879 Posts
    • 41,709 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    Ok so I purchase a expensive game from Ebay, it arrives with a damaged envelope and cracked case and game inside, I contact seller and get no response so open a returns, send it back and no response then suddenly seller escalates and Ebay finds in their favour then suspends me but doesn't say why.

I then open a Paypal case and give seller chance to defend themselves but again they escalate and Paypal also finds in their favour, I contact Paypal to find seller claims the envelope was empty and to of reported me to police!

I state I have receipt stating weight to show it couldn't of been empty, and Paypal reopens the case and tells me to email them the receipt, I do so and wait a few days for Paypal to close claim saying they can't confirm item is returned to seller!!

They have the scan of receipt plus the tracking number showing it returned to sender, as well as google showing the same returns postcode and details for purchases!!

So this is a vent as well as a question of "am I getting messed around?" and asking any rights I have.
    Originally posted by firbank
    You might want to ask the board guide on this board to move your question to the ebay board for more responses (see my signature).

However, I would be intrigued to know more please as a buyer winning a case like this on both ebay and paypal is virtually unheard of, and to be suspended suggests that both companies believe you are misusing the system or even trying to defraud.

There must be something else and obviously anyone reading this, like me, can only speculate and probably get it entirely wrong. A buyer suspension on ebay is rare, what other issues have you ever had on ebay or paypal, have you had other contentious returns, have you made any threats or have any history of other warnings for fraudulent or unusual behaviour?

There is definitely more to this than the story given and it is almost impossible to help without knowing more.

However, on the outside chance you do come back and post again, you do always have the option of small claims to recover your money, but I would think if neither ebay nor paypal believed you then it isn't an automatic win even if you do go to small claims.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 8,735 Posts
    • 4,204 Thanks
    missile
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    If only the case was damaged, why return the game?

Perhaps they think OP has copied the game and then made a false claim that it was damaged on receipt.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    takman
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:39 AM

Perhaps they think OP has copied the game and then made a false claim that it was damaged on receipt.
    Originally posted by missile
    There is no need to copy games these days. Any games that can be copied can be easily downloaded from the internet.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    I state I have receipt stating weight to show it couldn't of been empty,

Did the seller claim the package was empty?

Who did you use to return the product?
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:38 PM

That means nothing, did you add the tracking number to the ebay or paypal claim when asked, if not then they is why you lost, scanning a receipt with a tracking number is not the correct was to provide the tracking. maybe give paypal a ring and see what they say.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 12th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    hybernia
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    The OP has somehow omitted to mention the one fact central to all this: was the game playable or not? Was the product -- not its wrappings -- but the actual product delivered to her / him, as described? Or not?

If the game was bought to be played and can be played then surely, that's the only factor eBay and PayPal can take into consideration?

If the game was bought to be played with a view to selling it on at a later date, at which point the condition of the case might in the purchaser's opinion mean it cannot be sold, then that is a future prospect.

As far as I know, a future prospect doesn't and cannot come within eBay / PayPal guarantees, all of which relate to a present transaction (though I imagine an exception might be made in the case of a listing for a collectible, where both the condition of the box and the condition of the item might be co-equally important to investment worth.)
    • firbank
    • By firbank 12th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    firbank
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    That means nothing, did you add the tracking number to the ebay or paypal claim when asked, if not then they is why you lost, scanning a receipt with a tracking number is not the correct was to provide the tracking. maybe give paypal a ring and see what they say.
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    I feel thats insulting my intelligence, Ebay did it automatically since it was one of their own labels, paypal I did manually and it was correct, and they must of known as on the original call I made they said they saw it had been delivered but seller was disputing package was empty.

Originally posted by missile
    It wasn't just the case, since a game was inside the case I should of implied the game was cracked too, I mean if it was just the case I would of just contacted seller and used a spare case.

You might want to ask the board guide on this board to move your question to the ebay board for more responses (see my signature).

However, I would be intrigued to know more please as a buyer winning a case like this on both ebay and paypal is virtually unheard of, and to be suspended suggests that both companies believe you are misusing the system or even trying to defraud.

There must be something else and obviously anyone reading this, like me, can only speculate and probably get it entirely wrong. A buyer suspension on ebay is rare, what other issues have you ever had on ebay or paypal, have you had other contentious returns, have you made any threats or have any history of other warnings for fraudulent or unusual behaviour?

There is definitely more to this than the story given and it is almost impossible to help without knowing more.

However, on the outside chance you do come back and post again, you do always have the option of small claims to recover your money, but I would think if neither ebay nor paypal believed you then it isn't an automatic win even if you do go to small claims.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Not really, I open a few cases here and there for genuine reasons as purchase things like computer parts but also have more than one Ebay account.

Though I feel a little insulted by the comment if I come back, it seems to imply I am hiding something there is no more to the story there than I have said, I got the broken game, attempted to contact seller and got no reply, opened case and waited 8 days to escalate, Ebay looked at it and gave me returns label which I used, when it was returned I had to wait a further few days.

Im assuming something like the envelope was damaged on return and game could of fallen out, it was a small package and I used a busy main post office rather than smaller one I normally use to send anything and the busy one uses self serve counters

As for the return it was a Ebay generated label, I have receipt showing weight which matches up with the games weight and packaging, tracking was entered onto Paypal correctly, when I spoke to Paypal the advisor said they didn't know why it was rejected as the tracking shows delivered and reopened case to allow an appeal and told me to email the dispute team directly, I did this with scan of receipt as well as add the receipt onto the dispute directly.

So no, I made no threats, not had continous returns (last one was about 6 months ago for a computer part) and no previous warnings, the only thing I will say is the company I purchased from is a big name company not a regular seller.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 58,879 Posts
    • 41,709 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    As I said earlier it is unusual for a buyer to lose a claim but almost unheard of for a buyer to be suspended purely after losing the claim.

You say you don't know why you were suspended, but they will have said something in their email to you, it might not seem logical, but what reason did they give? Also when you check your account does it show as 'not a registered user'?

Lastly, you say you have more than one account, that's absolutely fine and most of us do, but if you are suspended on one then you MUST NOT continue to use the others as if you do there will be no way back from suspension. On that line, have any of your other accounts had issues previously, could this latest suspension be linked to a previous issue on a different account? It is possible that you have triggered a fraud alert if you are using multiple accounts and returning items on all those accounts, as they will be linked.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • firbank
    • By firbank 12th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    firbank
    Actually you just made me remember, I did about 2 weeks before contact a seller about a item that was not recieved, I didn't want a refund but seller gave me one, though I had proof of that as the seller sent recorded and the tracking itself said picked up from seller but then no further updates, I never asked for refund in fact wanted the item to arrive.

So that could of flagged it, if so I can see why its suspicious but at same time I never asked for refund and theres proof it wasn't received.

And I have lost claims in past talking about 2 years ago at previous proprety but wasn't suspended, again faulty item as thats the only time I generally open a case as with so many computer parts I buy its bound to have the odd failure.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,523 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Im assuming something like the envelope was damaged on return and game could of fallen out, it was a small package and I used a busy main post office rather than smaller one I normally use to send anything and the busy one uses self serve counters

As for the return it was a Ebay generated label, I have receipt showing weight which matches up with the games weight and packaging, tracking was entered onto Paypal correctly, when I spoke to Paypal the advisor said they didn't know why it was rejected as the tracking shows delivered and reopened case to allow an appeal and told me to email the dispute team directly, I did this with scan of receipt as well as add the receipt onto the dispute directly.
    Maybe using the self service machine was a mistake.

In my local PO, if one was so inclined, one can weigh the package, pay and get the postage sticker, remove contents and post the empty envelope in the box.

Of course I'm not for one minute suggesting you have done this, but just showing that it is easy to get a receipt from a self service machine which shows a weight which is different to that posted.
    • firbank
    • By firbank 12th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    firbank
    Maybe using the self service machine was a mistake.

In my local PO, if one was so inclined, one can weigh the package, pay and get the postage sticker, remove contents and post the empty envelope in the box.

Of course I'm not for one minute suggesting you have done this, but just showing that it is easy to get a receipt from a self service machine which shows a weight which is different to that posted.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Theres a member of staff standing about for all transactions so that would be hard to do.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 58,879 Posts
    • 41,709 Thanks
    soolin
    Actually you just made me remember, I did about 2 weeks before contact a seller about a item that was not recieved, I didn't want a refund but seller gave me one, though I had proof of that as the seller sent recorded and the tracking itself said picked up from seller but then no further updates, I never asked for refund in fact wanted the item to arrive.

So that could of flagged it, if so I can see why its suspicious but at same time I never asked for refund and theres proof it wasn't received.

And I have lost claims in past talking about 2 years ago at previous proprety but wasn't suspended, again faulty item as thats the only time I generally open a case as with so many computer parts I buy its bound to have the odd failure.
    That still shouldn't be enough to go straight to suspension- usually you get a severe telling off first, then a warning that you won't be covered by the buyers guarantee- a full suspension is usually only if you trigger a fraud marker.

You need to retrieve the email telling you about the suspension, that will give a vague reason and might help work this out. Meanwhile, and as above don't use any other account on ebay to buy or sell, nor allow anyone in the same household or with any matching details to either.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 58,879 Posts
    • 41,709 Thanks
    soolin
    PS- I have asked the board guides on this board if they wouldn't mind moving your thread to the ebay board so that others can assist as well.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 8,735 Posts
    • 4,204 Thanks
    missile
    It wasn't just the case, since a game was inside the case I should of implied the game was cracked too, I mean if it was just the case I would of just contacted seller and used a spare case.
    If the disk was damaged, I can understand why you returned it.
    PS: Nothing surprises me with EBay & Paypal.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 12th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 16,413 Posts
    • 277,938 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Hi

I'm going to pop this on the eBay board as detailed above
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 12th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Is it possible that the game fell out of the envelope en route? How did you package it?
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • firbank
    • By firbank 12th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    firbank
    That was my thought, as the seller claimed the label was intentionally damaged (to not show returns address) I put it in a small bubble wrap envelope and sellotaped the label on but it was a bit of a bodge job on label as sellotape got a little bit clumped in places.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    By "receipt" do you mean "proof of posting" as I'm not sure how you would have a cash receipt when you purchased the postage off eBay?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,981Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin