Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peroxidation
    • By Peroxidation 12th Jun 17, 1:07 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Peroxidation
    Dear Taiko- Please help (Compelling Personal Reasons)
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:07 AM
    Dear Taiko- Please help (Compelling Personal Reasons) 12th Jun 17 at 1:07 AM
    Hello
    I could really use some advice regarding Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) as I cant seem to get a clear answer anywhere.
    I will try to be concise but if you need any extra info please feel free to ask.

Commenced BSc IN 2007- Due to serious illness I had to withdraw in second year (I was not in a position to look after myself and I needed to attend various appointments for treatment over an extended period of time)

Commenced BSc in 2010- Progressed into second year but developed epilepsy.
    Completed first semester but suspended as we were having difficulties controlling my condition
    Returned the following year after we thought we had found a sufficient treatment unfortunately we didn't and my seizures returned.
    Had to suspend again which resulted in an eventual withdrawal in 2014. As luck would have it, that year we managed to get the situation under control and my health has been excellent since.

However I am now concerned that I will not be entitled to any funding regarding tuition fees if I were to commence a medical degree in 2018. I have been told that even in the instance of CPR being awarded it is usually only for one year.

Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated as the whole system is rather confusing and I have been told numerous different things.
    Last edited by Peroxidation; 15-06-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Page 1
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 18,845 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    Forgive me, but I'm bewildered by the acronym CPR which I only know as cardio pulmonary resuscitation.
    My wholehearted sympathies with developing epilepsy (stablised, myself) and well done getting it sorted so quickly! At a blisteringly inconvenient time, of course, but now is absolutely the time to be looking forward.
    Best of luck!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 18,426 Posts
    • 14,139 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    CPR = Compelling Personal Reasons
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    you could ask in the Student Room

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4767910
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 18,426 Posts
    • 14,139 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    I think you might be best to follow sherambler's suggestion, Taiko rarely posts at all these days, and even more rarely on this board.
    • Peroxidation
    • By Peroxidation 15th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peroxidation
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    Thanks for pointing this out, Ive edited my post Yes, its a bit of a !!!!!! and Im sure you are relieved to be stabilised. Sometimes Im not sure whats worse, the epilepsy or some of the meds
    • Peroxidation
    • By Peroxidation 15th Jun 17, 10:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peroxidation
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:53 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:53 PM
    Unfortunately this is one of the places I can't find a clear answer. Alot of the more general SFE advisors can't or won't give a clear answer. However, thank you for your suggestion
    • Peroxidation
    • By Peroxidation 15th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peroxidation
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    Just my luck...I don't really want to disrespect his request not to pm him
    • Taiko
    • By Taiko 19th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    Taiko
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    Sorry, as others have pointed out I rarely post these days, as I actually left my assessing days behind in 2010, when the LA I worked at was shut down for SFE to be centralised. For this reason, please only take any comments of mine as guidance, not gospel.

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1511/sfe-17-18-assessing-eligibility-guidance-chapter.pdf

Section 5.5 may be of use to you here. You can apply for CPR one year at a time, and I don't think anyone would be in a position to say you would get this every year. Back in my day, I would have looked at your individual circumstances, and provided this was supported with medical information, probably given you CPR for each year. I'd have done this though only if your doctor was able to confirm the dates, and details around the treatment. I'd have also looked for confirmation that you should be fit to complete the course this time around.

SFE may look at this differently, but it's really down to what your doctor can write for you.
    • Peroxidation
    • By Peroxidation 13th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peroxidation
    Sorry, as others have pointed out I rarely post these days, as I actually left my assessing days behind in 2010, when the LA I worked at was shut down for SFE to be centralised. For this reason, please only take any comments of mine as guidance, not gospel.

Section 5.5 may be of use to you here. You can apply for CPR one year at a time, and I don't think anyone would be in a position to say you would get this every year. Back in my day, I would have looked at your individual circumstances, and provided this was supported with medical information, probably given you CPR for each year. I'd have done this though only if your doctor was able to confirm the dates, and details around the treatment. I'd have also looked for confirmation that you should be fit to complete the course this time around.

SFE may look at this differently, but it's really down to what your doctor can write for you.
    Originally posted by Taiko
    Hi Taiko
    Thank you for getting back to me and sorry for the late response. Would it be possible to PM you about the specifics and whether what I am considering including would be enough?

Is there any reason why they might not grant me CPR?

Also, the original degree was 3 years however the one I am hoping to ow enroll on will be 5 years in length. Is this likely to complicate things?

I apologise for all the questions, its just its very useful to see things through the eyes of someone who used to make the decisions, although I recognise you no longer work for them so I shouldn't take everything you say as Gospel.

Thank you
    • Taiko
    • By Taiko 14th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    Taiko
    Of course. I've actually removed that strapline from my signature now, as it was only there due to getting around 20-30 PM's a day. Doesn't happen these days!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin