Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 11th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 20,125Posts
    • 228,604Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 12th June 2017
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 12th June 2017 11th Jun 17 at 9:37 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday Bathrooms, Shower Rooms and Cloakrooms

Level 1

Open window
    Empty waste bins
    Wipe shower screen or wash shower curtain
    Clean shower tray
    Clean taps, pipes and shower head
    Wipe tiles down

Level 2
    Dust windowsill
    Clean windows
    Polish any mirrors
    Scrub toilet
    Wipe down outside of toilet

Level 3
    Clean pull cord and door handles
    Scrub basins
    Polish taps
    Polish towel rail
    sweep/mop floor

Extras
    Wipe down all tiles in here
    Wash towels in a hot wash
    Put out fresh fluffy towels
    MAD half hour - pick a TOOTS list project - or an ongoing task eg drawer sorting/weeding/cupboard tidying/sewing box sorting out and work for half-an-hour only and make a difference OR spend 10 minutes in each reception room, straightening/tidying/bin emptying/putting away cushion plumping - a tidy room automatically looks clean! Post your progress!

Tuesday Twinkles Living room

Level 1

Open the windows WIDE
    Empty the bin
    Clear the coffee table - polish and dust
    Wipe coasters, light switches, door handles and sticky sockets
    Deal with any withering or wilting flowers
    Treat the pot plants to some water and a wipe/spruce up

Level 2
    Vacuum or wipe sofas and chairs including under seat cushions
    Fold throws and hang
    Vacuum drapes
    Wipe sills
    Polish windows and mirrors

Level 3
    Dust everywhere
    Wipe skirtings, dado and picture rails
    Flick a feather duster over pendant lights and wall lights
    vacuum/sweep floor
    Steam mop/mop hard floors

Extras
    Catch up with the ironing
    Have you time for a MAD half hour?
    Give doormats a bashing outside.
    Make sure nothing is turning into compost in the fridge - weave those withering veggies into your meal plans
    S&S kitchen and bathroom (which shouldn't be too onerous - given it was cleaned yesterday, wasn't it?)

Wonderful Wednesday

Kids' Rooms/ Spare rooms/guest rooms

Level 1
    Open the windows wide
    Binbag dance
    Strip the bed and turn the mattress - if you can
    Clean under the bed if accessible
    Remake the bed

Level 2
    Dust any shelves and sills and flat surfaces
    If a guest/spare room check the lighting is fully-functional
    Wipe switches/sockets/skirtings

Level 3
    Clean the windows
    vacuum curtains/dust blinds
    Deal with the floor

Extras
    Peg out some washing
    do a MAD half hour somewhere
    HHI
    Book out some me time - nail or hair appointment/coffee with a friend - something to look forward to!

Thursday Thrills Kitchen Kapers

Level 1

Wipe table - don't forget to wipe under, too , where sticky fingers linger and drops go to die.
    Polish it, pop on a new cloth, wipe table mats
    Wipe/polish chairs and seats and don't forget underneath!
    Wipe chair and table legs

Clear kitchen sides and wipe worktops and splash backs. Replace what belongs there; rehome - or fling - what doesn't

Level 2

Wipe cupboard fronts including edges where drips live and die
    Wipe fascia boards
    Polish DR furniture
    Wipe gpdoir handles light switches and similar grease and grime traps

Level 3
    Wipe sills
    Polish windows and door glass
    Sweep, mop and/or vacuum floors

Extras
    s&s bathrooms
    Give doormats some attention
    MAD half hour attend to the garden and water plants in pots if you can think of nothing else
    Enjoy the nice weather - meet up with someone for a coffee and a natter in a nice cafe...

Frantic Friday - catch up day - pick a room which needs the FLYLADY sparkle (hall/conservatory/bedroom)

Level 1

Clean floor
    Binbag dance
    rehome anything out of place
    clear floordrobes
    Open windows
    Strip beds

Level 2
    Reamke beds
    Vacuum soft furnishings
    Wipe switches
    Dust everywhere - incl light fittings

Level 3
    Clean windows and mirrors
    Wipe sills
    Clean floor

Extras
    peg out some washing
    Make sure you have suncream in, and hats etc
    make some HM ice lollies (Freeze - yoghurts/fruit juice/diluted squash/angel delight) and ice cubes ready for the heatwave
    MAD half hour - tackle those froggies!
    HHI - it'll be too hot to iron this weekend - get it out of the way ASAP
    Last edited by Valli; 16-06-2017 at 7:48 AM.
Page 5
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 18th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 4,618 Posts
    • 46,502 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Been to SW, have decluttered 3lbs
    Originally posted by Valli
    I know this was days ago, but congrats and well done just the same.

I went out to a new voluntary group last night. Get me. This is all about me meeting more people/doing new things/increasing my confidence. DH worries that I dont have time for this but its not a huge time commitment and I am doing it on a trial basis.
    Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    Does he worry about you not having time to do the washing up, to such an extent that he always does it? I hope you enjoy the group and it gives you what you're looking for.

Sorry to hear things are worrying FBO and ATB. I used to do some credit control for a small business and it always amazed me that individual people could be so mean. I'm afraid I used to badger the non-payers until they'd just send the money to stop the phone calls and if not I'd whack them through the small claims court. I hope it resolves really soon.

Hi Skint! Great that the house is SSTC. Do you know where you're going?

Can you ask your OH to take you out for lunch, Ionafan after Mr I's friend has gone? You've been so hard at it for so long now you could do with a treat.

My good intentions to keep up all week fell by the wayside but I have cleared some of the jobs that have been worrying me and I gave the bathroom a thorough going over as per list on Monday.

In the wonderful weather I have emptied the stinking waterbutt on the plants and a tree that needed the water. It's been empty for a few days having been scrubbed out but it's still a bit whiffy. Any suggestions?

I bought a new hose for the communal gardens after someone chopped the neighbour's in half when they borrowed it (why did they think she wouldn't notice?), connected its various fittings and used it today to clean out the rabbit hatch where the three seagull chicks live at night. It was a bit stinky. Then scrubbed the front steps of a few houses where the babies have left deposits and the paths as far as the hose would stretch. Things look and smell better. The babies are really interesting, and who knew a seagull would foster babies that weren't her own if they squawked loudly enough. She's very atttentive, very protective and all three babies are doing well. I like seagulls even if they can be aggresive when protecting their young.

Various bits of dog bedding are getting whizzed through the WM as and when it's available. Lines constantly full. Chalet stuff turned around and back in the car ready to go over for an arrival on Friday.

Two house arrivals tomorrow so I've got one room to finish and the shower room needs a drubbing. OH wielded the dsyon because I made him a recovery breakfast in bed, so I heart him.

Just struggling to keep up with life really.
    Keeping it AF
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 18th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Crikey I'm tired now! Isn't heat tiring? I'm having a shower and getting in my bed soon.

I've bathed the kiddies and put them to bed - DD has pink shoulders I wouldn't mind, I put the once a day stuff on her this morning, 20 min before she dressed, then early afternoon I put some extra factor 30 on them both. And we came inside for a few hours to cool off... Oh dear. She's got aloe cream on tonight

We spent most of the morning at football, it was lovely, nice atmosphere everyone sat on the grass and sharing drinks and the little ones all played together while the big ones trained.

Came home, stuck a wash on, blew up the paddling pool and filled it, hung up the washing, fed small people (several times), watered garden, made sure piggies were OK - flat out on the grass laid next to some old towels that were wrapped around freezer packs

That's all I've done really, most of the day, keeping everyone comfortable and cool and hydrated.

Decorator is coming a week tomorrow

Good to hear the babies are doing well, HB xx
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 18th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Evening all.

Can people prod me next week. Despite now having NO work commitments I achieved precisely bug*er all Flying last week. Thankfully we weren't around much so its not too bad, but I need to get on top of my Toots and Frog lists before the end of the month when my sick not runs out and I can start looking for temp work.

So SHOUT at me please. I need to be doing at least 4 x HHC a day I think to make a serious dent in some long overdue jobs. Most will only take about 10mins in the end, but its just getting them started that is the problem.

Every morning I am going to post my list on here. Hopefully it will shame me into doing things.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 18th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 34,365 Thanks
    Natty68

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

6,902Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin