Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mantis1
    • By mantis1 11th Jun 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mantis1
    Few Questions About Loan (Credit Score, Reason)
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:00 PM
    Few Questions About Loan (Credit Score, Reason) 11th Jun 17 at 9:00 PM
    Hey all!

So, I want to get a loan to emigrate. Yes, I DO intend on paying it back.
    However, I have some questions and concerns...

1) My Experian credit score is 908 with 1 small defaulted debt on file, what kind of loan can I expect to get? I guess an unsecured loan is my best option.

2) Should I tell them I want to emigrate? I feel like they won't like this. Maybe I should say something else?

Advice needed, thanks!
Page 2
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 10,589 Posts
    • 14,560 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    I provide examples, Candyapple provides examples, you provide diddly squat, yet anyone who dares suggest the credit score made up by a credit reference agency is pointless is stupid. The mind boggles. You've been on the forum long enough to know the three things that matter most to lenders, which I've already listed in post 19, and the Experian credit score is not on that list. Suggesting that posters take stock in the score rather than taking it with a pinch of salt and focusing on the factors that do matter is not helpful.
    Last edited by Pixie5740; 12-06-2017 at 4:25 PM.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 12th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    adindas
    Of course I cant . In the same way that i cannot tell you the criteria that ANY lender uses - But of course you know that.

Maybe you enjoy cracking one off every time you get a "thanks" for repeating your abrupt statements to people asking for help.

If you want to start insulting each other i am more than happy to oblige, however i was simply expressing my opinion - im sorry it differs to yours

No - I worked very hard to better the contents of my credit file - The score followed in suite - hence my opinion on this matter.

Lucky you that you "dont find it onerous" to pay your bills on time - But just so you know, not everyone has a perfect a life as you - hence the need for this very helpful forum

It may be useful as a marketing tool, but to say it has no correlation atall on the contents of the report is just stupid

Agreed - And as no body has access to any lenders list of criteria, the experian score is a close a proximity as the general public are likely to get
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    People could easily see with whom they are arguing with.
    You were asking people for citation on post #9. and people provided you with three quotation, prime example.

When people were asking you to provide evidence / quotation in return you said "you do not have to"

Your view is solely based on your own personal experience, while people were taking about general views.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyPix
    People could easily see with whom they are arguing with..
    Originally posted by adindas

?? Come again ?
    You were asking people for citation on post #9. and people provided you with three quotation, prime example..
    Yes, i read that, and thanked them accordingly
    When people were asking you to provide evidence / quotation in return you said "you do not have to"
    I dont know who you are quoting there - but its not me
    Your view is solely based on your own personal experience, while people were taking about general views.

Yep, thats right, my own experience is :-

Good stuff on credit file - score goes up
    Bad stuff on credit file - score goes down

Kind of makes sense if you think about it .

So again, although it may be an arbitrary number - it does have some corrolation to the contents of the file and therefore can be used as a general indication as to the state of the file
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I provide examples, Candyapple provides examples, you provide diddly squat, yet anyone who dares suggest the credit score made up by a credit reference agency is pointless is stupid. The mind boggles. You've been on the forum long enough to know the three things that matter most to lenders, which I've already listed in post 19, and the Experian credit score is not on that list..
    Originally posted by Pixie5740

I am not argueing with you anymore, i have said what i wanted to say ..
    I know what matters to lenders , yes, and i also know that the experian credit score is not one of those .

Read back up, not once have i said that. I have agreed it is made up by experian

Yes i agree it can be taken with a pinch of salt but at the same time it is not meaningless as it serves as an indication of the health of your file.

Suggesting that posters take stock in the score rather than taking it with a pinch of salt and focusing on the factors that do matter is not helpful.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740

No - you are putting words in my mouth .. Where have i said that users should take stock and rely on this score ? Nowhere .
    I am saying that it is not totally meaningless

Good stuff on report - higher score
    Bad stuff on report - lower score

If you cant see that then fair enough
    Last edited by AndyPix; 12-06-2017 at 5:06 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyPix
    If people are saying is marketing gymmix to keep you obsess and they will become a super hero to save you to improve it ?? it is not common sense ??

Do you know how the algorithm work to create those magic number ?? Please elaborate what do you know ??

If you read my posts then you wouldnt need to ask those pointless questions
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 10,589 Posts
    • 14,560 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    I am not argueing with you anymore, i have said what i wanted to say ..
    I know what matters to lenders , yes, and i also know that the experian credit score is not one of those .

Read back up, not once have i said that. I have agreed it is made up by experian

Yes i agree it can be taken with a pinch of salt but at the same time it is not meaningless as it serves as an indication of the health of your file.

No - you are putting words in my mouth .. Where have i said that users should take stock and rely on this score ? Nowhere .
    I am saying that it is not totally meaningless

Good stuff on report - higher score
    Bad stuff on report - lower score

If you cant see that then fair enough
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    A high credit score does not guarantee credit anymore than a low credit score precludes you from it. You started paying your bills on time, your score went up but it doesn't automatically follow that you won't be rejected for credit as was shown in the examples you were given.

You joined this thread purely to champion credit scores after other posters advised the OP to forget the score and look at the history and ability to pay i.e. affordability....you know the things that lenders actually use.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 12th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 5,104 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    A default on your credit file tells anybody who looks that you have had, or are having, problems with money and paying it to whoever you owe it to.

None of the normal banks or loan companies will probably look at you until that default drops off your file.

One wiff of emigrating and they will run a mile.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

393Posts Today

3,686Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin