Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jord79
    • By jord79 11th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 7Thanks
    jord79
    Help trace a workman
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    Help trace a workman 11th Jun 17 at 8:11 PM
    I am wondering if anyone can give me advice.

In January I had a bathroom installed. We purchased the furnishings and employed someone to install it. My wife is allergic to dust so we decided to take our annual holiday at the same time. My son lives at home with his GF so there was someone in the house to deal with things.
    The fitter was found on gumtree and he also advertises on yell.com
    To cut a long story short, he damaged furnishings, left us with half a bathroom in a complete mess and left a leak which has damaged our living room.
    5 months on and the bathroom is in the same condition. The fitter has avoided all contact.

I have his first name, tel number, a possible address, a trading name and a vehicle registration number (he is selling his vehicle on gumtree).
    To take the matter to a smalls claims court, I need his surname and a definite address which is proving to be difficult to obtain.
    Gumtree & Yell are not able to provide me with the info and the police say they can't help me.

Can anyone offer me advice on how to trace a surname?
    The property which I believes he lives it is rented via an estate agent and they are unable to provide me with a surname.
    Last edited by jord79; 12-06-2017 at 3:31 PM.
Page 3
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Thanks all. I have now traced him.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 12th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    andyhop
    Before you waste a chunk of cash I'd take a step back and look to see if he has assets

If he is renting and has no possessions you will find it very hard to claim a dime .

You could easily be wasting more cash flogging a dead horse
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 12th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Please read my previous messages. He hasn't been handed a key to an unoccupied house.
    Regarding his name? Well Sure I could have asked his surname but what is to say he would have given me the correct surname anyway?
    Others could easily find themselves in my situation.
    He advertises in his business name and introduces himself using his first name.
    Originally posted by jord79
    Perhaps this should be better regulated to avoid others having to trace people as you had to.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 12th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Before you waste a chunk of cash I'd take a step back and look to see if he has assets

If he is renting and has no possessions you will find it very hard to claim a dime .

You could easily be wasting more cash flogging a dead horse
    Originally posted by andyhop
    As a minimum the OP should report the trader to Trading Standards. Even if they don't have enough to take any action now, they keep him on their list and if others also complain they will take action.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 12th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Thanks all. I have now traced him.
    Originally posted by jord79
    Well done.

Just out of interest, how did you trace him?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 4,234 Thanks
    another casualty
    ..and what happened next ?
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 19th Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    MEM62
    ..and what happened next ?
    Originally posted by another casualty

You'll never know.... It's unusual for OP's that have joined just to take advice on one issue to come back and let the forum know the outcome. Show's little appreciation in my view.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin