Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jord79
    • By jord79 11th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 7Thanks
    jord79
    Help trace a workman
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    Help trace a workman 11th Jun 17 at 8:11 PM
    I am wondering if anyone can give me advice.

In January I had a bathroom installed. We purchased the furnishings and employed someone to install it. My wife is allergic to dust so we decided to take our annual holiday at the same time. My son lives at home with his GF so there was someone in the house to deal with things.
    The fitter was found on gumtree and he also advertises on yell.com
    To cut a long story short, he damaged furnishings, left us with half a bathroom in a complete mess and left a leak which has damaged our living room.
    5 months on and the bathroom is in the same condition. The fitter has avoided all contact.

I have his first name, tel number, a possible address, a trading name and a vehicle registration number (he is selling his vehicle on gumtree).
    To take the matter to a smalls claims court, I need his surname and a definite address which is proving to be difficult to obtain.
    Gumtree & Yell are not able to provide me with the info and the police say they can't help me.

Can anyone offer me advice on how to trace a surname?
    The property which I believes he lives it is rented via an estate agent and they are unable to provide me with a surname.
    Last edited by jord79; 12-06-2017 at 3:31 PM.
Page 2
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Ok.

I have spoken with Gumtree where he advertises but they can not give me his surname.
    I have spoken with Yell.com where his ad is and they can not give me his surname.
    I copied and pasted his address from Yell into Google and it took me to the estate agent where he rents his flat. They can not give me his surname.
    Spoken to the police and they can't assist me because it is deemed 'civil law' which they don't deal with.
    On Gumtree he is selling his workvan. I attempted to get his details via the number plate but apparently there is 2 policy holders and on that basis they can't give me further details.
    I have sent an email via Gumtree but not yet had a response.
    I have purchased a new sim card with credit because he recognizes my number. I hope he will reply when I send him a text message showing interest in purchasing his van.

I feel like I know so much about him but the one thing I need = Surname. I am finding it difficult.
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Please read my previous messages. He hasn't been handed a key to an unoccupied house.
    Regarding his name? Well Sure I could have asked his surname but what is to say he would have given me the correct surname anyway?
    Others could easily find themselves in my situation.
    He advertises in his business name and introduces himself using his first name.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 12th Jun 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 4,906 Thanks
    Loanranger
    What address do you have and what first name? Someone here will have access to paid software and can look it up for you and help you.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 12th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 2,183 Thanks
    comeandgo
    Tell us his business name and the area he works in and I bet someone on here will be able to find it. Maybe some business people have access to Experian or Equifax.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 18,375 Posts
    • 15,252 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Request information about a vehicle’s registered keeper from DVLA
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Duplicated
    Last edited by jord79; 12-06-2017 at 6:50 PM.
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    What address do you have and what first name? Someone here will have access to paid software and can look it up for you and help you.
    Originally posted by Loanranger
    I am happy to pay for the info providing it is the correct info. Thanks for trying to help me.
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Wrong Link
    Last edited by jord79; 12-06-2017 at 6:48 PM.
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Duplicated
    Last edited by jord79; 12-06-2017 at 6:50 PM.
    • ST1991
    • By ST1991 12th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    ST1991
    Not sure if this is the same company, but come sup on page 1 of google when i search for the business name.

Let me know if not so i can remove the potential link to a legit business from this thread

REMOVED
    Last edited by ST1991; 12-06-2017 at 5:06 PM. Reason: removed info
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 12th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    beaker141
    duplicate info removed
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 23,267 Posts
    • 65,270 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    ST1991, the guy you are linking to is not called Alan, is at a different address and is Gas Safe registered. The guy in the OP doesn't even advertise himself as a heating engineer.

Best to delete, I think, lest they are linked purely by this thread.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Duplicated
    Last edited by jord79; 12-06-2017 at 4:14 PM.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 23,267 Posts
    • 65,270 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Delete those links to the bonafide guy, please! It isn't fair.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    another casualty
    Someone was in the house while we was away, my son. However my son doesn't know the correct way of fitting a bathroom etc.
    Yes he had been paid. I had left payment with my son and the payment was handed over to the tradesman.
    I didn't explain in full because my focus is on finding out his surname.
    When I say he left a mess I mean the following:
    A leak from a pipe he fitted caused my living room ceiling to collapse.
    During the fitting process he damaged furnishings.
    Work he carried out has since fallen off the wall (tiling).
    The underfloor heating he fitted doesn't work
    etc etc
    Originally posted by jord79
    You paid this guy in cash??
    This may prove harder to get back in a small claims court if you ever find him. It sounds like he's a one man band (ltd company) and he may have gone into liquidation . This may mean you won't get anything . Hope I'm wrong .
    If you paid any amount via credit/ debit card, you may be able to get that reversed .
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    He carried out the work back in January. I have been getting legal advice since then and obviously have given him ample time to rectify the situation.
    Last edited by jord79; 12-06-2017 at 6:47 PM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 18,375 Posts
    • 15,252 Thanks
    wealdroam
    jord79, did you miss post#25?
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Yes I did but got it now. Please can you send me a private message and explain what to do please?
    • ST1991
    • By ST1991 12th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    ST1991
    FYI i have edited my post to remove the link and info of a company with a similar name but NOT this guy.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 18,375 Posts
    • 15,252 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Yes I did but got it now. Please can you send me a private message and explain what to do please?
    Originally posted by jord79
    Just click on the link and follow the instructions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,976Users online

Martin's Twitter