Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jord79
    • By jord79 11th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 7Thanks
    jord79
    Help trace a workman
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    Help trace a workman 11th Jun 17 at 8:11 PM
    I am wondering if anyone can give me advice.

In January I had a bathroom installed. We purchased the furnishings and employed someone to install it. My wife is allergic to dust so we decided to take our annual holiday at the same time. My son lives at home with his GF so there was someone in the house to deal with things.
    The fitter was found on gumtree and he also advertises on yell.com
    To cut a long story short, he damaged furnishings, left us with half a bathroom in a complete mess and left a leak which has damaged our living room.
    5 months on and the bathroom is in the same condition. The fitter has avoided all contact.

I have his first name, tel number, a possible address, a trading name and a vehicle registration number (he is selling his vehicle on gumtree).
    To take the matter to a smalls claims court, I need his surname and a definite address which is proving to be difficult to obtain.
    Gumtree & Yell are not able to provide me with the info and the police say they can't help me.

Can anyone offer me advice on how to trace a surname?
    The property which I believes he lives it is rented via an estate agent and they are unable to provide me with a surname.
    Last edited by jord79; 12-06-2017 at 3:31 PM.
Page 1
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 11th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    If you know his address and first name then you may be lucky and perhals he did not opt out Electoral Roll. I vaguely remember there are some companies selling this type of data. So you could get his full name this way.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 11th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    marlot
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    You can check the address.

Your local Electoral Registration Office will tell you where you can view the current electoral register (it’s often available in libraries). The register will list everyone who’s registered to vote in the local area.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 11th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    You can view both copies of the electoral register. I once checked someone on the opted-out version, and the person at the council let me look through it but stayed with me, as I recall.

The main reason for opting out is to avoid being spammed, but you are still entitled to check.

Good luck with this, You may be interested in making a suggestion on my thread about cowboys about how to stop them doing things like this to consumers.

What would have helped you to avoid having to deal with this mess?

Here is my thread. So far there are many comments from traders basically saying it's the consumer's fault when these things happen, so I am interested in comments from consumers like you who have experienced problems.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5661305

How did you pay him?

You could also try doing an online search using his telephone number and see if you get any further information that way.
    Last edited by Annie1960; 11-06-2017 at 9:38 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    Why not get a friend to go and view the van, his name will be on the V5.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 11th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    You could email the ad on gumtree and if he replies I think it will show you his email, lots of people use their full names in their email addresses!
    • jord79
    • By jord79 11th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    Thanks for all the responses.

Replying to his advert selling his van isn't an option because as soon as I ring him, he recognises my voice and hangs up.
    Checking the electoral roll is my next option.

So far I have:
    Contacted Gumtree & Yell and both refused to give me his surname because of data protection. Both are able to give it to law enforcement but the police have told me it isn't something they can help me with.

Using his business name and telephone number from Yell, I was able to search Google. It took me to a facebook page which has actually been removed. He must have deleted the business page.

I replied to his ad on Gumtree when I was looking for a bathroom fitter and he only ever told me his first name.

His address on Google appears to be a rented flat via rightmove. I am guessing they wouldn't give me his surname either.

The guy has cost me thousands of pounds worth of damage and has still got my door key! I hoped to be able to start the small claims court proceedings today but the money claim online form needs his surname.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Jun 17, 12:08 AM
    • 2,087 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:08 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:08 AM
    you can pay £3 to dvla Swansea for keepers name and address if you have vehicle registration and make but you have to give them a date when you had accident
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 12th Jun 17, 5:56 AM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:56 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:56 AM
    What shocks me more is you willingly handed over your house and possessions to a guy called X......

This is a one for Judge Rinder, I doubt anyone else would take it seriously given the neglect on your part...
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Jun 17, 7:17 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

Replying to his advert selling his van isn't an option because as soon as I ring him, he recognises my voice and hangs up.

So far I have:
    Contacted Gumtree & Yell and both refused to give me his surname because of data protection. Both are able to give it to law enforcement but the police have told me it isn't something they can help me with.

Using his business name and telephone number from Yell, I was able to search Google. It took me to a facebook page which has actually been removed. He must have deleted the business page.

I replied to his ad on Gumtree when I was looking for a bathroom fitter and he only ever told me his first name.

His address on Google appears to be a rented flat via rightmove. I am guessing they wouldn't give me his surname either.

The guy has cost me thousands of pounds worth of damage and has still got my door key! I hoped to be able to start the small claims court proceedings today but the money claim online form needs his surname.
    Originally posted by jord79

That's why I said friend.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 12th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 2,088 Thanks
    Furts
    What shocks me more is you willingly handed over your house and possessions to a guy called X......

This is a one for Judge Rinder, I doubt anyone else would take it seriously given the neglect on your part...
    Originally posted by andyhop
    I am with this - doing a runner and allowing an unknown into your home is the height of irresponsibility. Had you been there and done the common sense approach, then you would have inspected, checked, questioned, tested and hopefully not be in your current situation.

Hopefully you have changed your lock during the last five months. Though your post suggests not.

Going after the small claims route may be difficult. You have said nought about what you intend claiming nor whether your illusive fitter has been paid anything for the work. If you have not paid what is your loss, and how do you quantify this? I accept there was a leak, but this may only represent a coat of emulsion on a wall - we do not know. You have to quantify this loss and define what is a "mess".

Remember a principle with insurance claims - for this could end up being one. Every claimant has a duty of care to mitigate their losses. Have you done so, and have you a solid case to go to Court?
    • missprice
    • By missprice 12th Jun 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3,158 Posts
    • 87,682 Thanks
    missprice

Change door locks immediately, it's a cheap way of having some security. A lot you can do yourself no need for locksmith, try YouTube for videos on how to.
    If you were burgled anytime in the near future you would have to declare this trader has a key and that could invalidate your insurance.

As for the advert selling his van, ask a friend to do it for you.
    94 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 9,282 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Apart from changing your locks, I would also suggest the following:
    If you've not already done so, have a very good check of all valuables you have to make sure that they are still there,
    If you have any log in details for online accounts of any description written down anywhere in the house, change these immediately,
    And sign up to a credit reference agency such as Experian and keep a watch out for any strange credit applications or checks.

Giving free access of your house to a trusted friend is one thing but to a complete stranger, someone whose full name and address you don't even know?
    Last edited by shaun from Africa; 12-06-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Someone was in the house while we was away, my son. However my son doesn't know the correct way of fitting a bathroom etc.
    Yes he had been paid. I had left payment with my son and the payment was handed over to the tradesman.
    I didn't explain in full because my focus is on finding out his surname.
    When I say he left a mess I mean the following:
    A leak from a pipe he fitted caused my living room ceiling to collapse.
    During the fitting process he damaged furnishings.
    Work he carried out has since fallen off the wall (tiling).
    The underfloor heating he fitted doesn't work
    etc etc
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    Just read through my replies, for those that mentioned asking a friend to go look at his van for sale, great idea! It is worth a try.

Re holiday. We took our annual holiday because my wife is allergic to dust. The house wasn't empty. I have a son who lives with me and his GF. A key was given to the fitter because we keep our front door looked because most days my son is in the back garage working. For those times when my son wouldn't here him arrive, he was given the key so he could get cracked on without waiting for my son. It isn't a case that I have handed a key over for an empty house.
    I haven't gone in to detail because that is for the small claims court. To proceed I need a surname.
    Gardner_1 Do you know how the dvla Swansea thing works please?

What do I intend to claim? I intend to claim for damaged furnishings & the cost to correct his work.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 12th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 970 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Post what information you have on the person here and I'm sure we'll be able to help you.
    • jord79
    • By jord79 12th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jord79
    He has been paid.

In return I have damaged furnishings and tiled over underfloor heating which isn't working.

Have had to pay to have my living room ceiling replastered and skimmed + Painted. Pay to have my locks changed and pay to pull out a bath which was leaking.

I am currently living with 40% of the tiles from both the floor & walls which have come away. The shower can't be used because it doesn't work. The toilet spits out water when flushed. The radiator was fitted but doesn't work.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 12th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960

So far I have:

You can't just start the moneyclaims online process. There is a preliminary process you need to go through first.

In your situation, check:

1. your house/car insurance policies. Is there legal cover included in these? If so, get legal advice.

2. If not, phone the Citizens' Advice Consumer helpline. Google the number. They will explain the procedure to you.

As you say, first of all you need his surname.

If people like this were required to be licensed and on a register, you would have access to his full details. Unfortunately there is little regulation so people like him can get away with it.

You will find some people on this thread blaming you as the consumer for this problem. Try to ignore them, anyone who supports such cowboys is just as bad themselves.

Good luck with your case.
    Last edited by Annie1960; 12-06-2017 at 1:06 PM.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 12th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 3,781 Thanks
    George Michael
    You will find some people on this thread blaming you as the consumer for this problem. Try to ignore them, anyone who supports such cowboys is just as bad themselves.
    Originally posted by Annie1960
    I don't think that anyone has blamed the OP for their situation nor has anyone voiced their support the builder concerned but what some people have stated is that when entering into a contract with someone, it is only common sense to ensure that you are fully aware of exactly who it is you are contracting with.

Giving money for work and a key to your house to someone who is basically an unknown and untraceable person is far from sensible.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 12th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    MEM62
    Speak to a few local bathroom suppliers / installers. I have no doubt he will be 'known'. It's a very small community.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,056Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin