Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjard
    • By cjard 11th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 13Thanks
    cjard
    Council Tax Bands - house price indexes?
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    Council Tax Bands - house price indexes? 11th Jun 17 at 7:44 PM
    Quick query hopefully, regarding house price index calcs;

The MSE website indicates that Halifax have one, as do Nationwide. NW's is easy to find on the web, Halifax's seems less so. Also I found a government house price index, but it only seems to go back to 1995.

Anyone know where Halifax's one is, or how to get the government one to show earlier than 95?
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 58,713 Posts
    • 341,387 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:50 PM

Anyone know where Halifax's one is, or how to get the government one to show earlier than 95?
    Originally posted by cjard
    1] http://www.halifax.co.uk/media-centre/house-price-index/

2] It's not available. It doesn't really exist. 1995 is the date that they have the data from, before that people started to have to provide the information, pre 1990 it's all individual written records in individual paper files, so not possible to obtain it.

Another angle is to find the oldest residents in the street with houses just like yours ... and bang on their doors to ask.
    • cjard
    • By cjard 12th Jun 17, 2:02 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    cjard
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:02 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:02 AM
    If only I lived on a street!

I think the land registry have only one recorded sale for my postcode; properties round here really don't sell often, and it's rural so there are only about 10 of them in the square mile!

I'm essentially basing my argument on the fact that all the neighbouring farms of a similar size are a D or E, but they're detached and they're farms hence worth ££££, whereas mine is an F and-
    an unusual conversion hence limited appeal,
    semi detached (who pays ££££ to have an attached neighbour? Semis always worth less than detached),
    has been stripped of various planning rights (so you can't change it to look how you want) and permission is needed to even paint the railings
    300k's worth (mortgage; never sold on open market but twice two banks have valued it thus, I converted it and that's my current mortgage) hence 110 back then, and that's an E
    The only other Fs round here are massive detached executive new builds, have sold for way more than mine and recently

Are there any other arguments I can make, or holes in these arguments?

Why are farms so cheap for CT - I see farms worth a million plus and they're a D!
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Jun 17, 5:56 AM
    • 14,743 Posts
    • 20,923 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:56 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:56 AM
    .Why are farms so cheap for CT - I see farms worth a million plus and they're a D!
    Originally posted by cjard
    Because CT is a tax on domestic property. Farmland isn't domestic property. Farmers may well pay CT on the domestic property situated on their farmland, but it may well be subject to an agricultural restriction, and thus worth less on the open market.
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 12th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 16,967 Posts
    • 106,581 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    If you have a non-standard property the indices won't help you very much because there will be no relevant comparisons.

You need to go back to what your property was worth back in 1991. Did it sell anytime around then?

Lincroft, who regularly answers questions on the reclaiming sub board, which has a section on council tax reclaiming, is your best bet for advice.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 9,303 Posts
    • 7,235 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    It is no use looking at CT bands of farmhouses on working farms as the CT band is calculated on a completely different basis and also some properties can have an agricultural restriction which will severely affect their value.

House price indices are a best a rough guide, but are usually inaccurate. The house would be valued in its present state but at 1991 prices, the restrictions referred to are unlikely to have much affect on value. So if it it existed in 1991 in its present converted form, what would it be worth?

Unique, individual properties in the right location, can be worth a lot of money, even if semi-detached
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

666Posts Today

6,282Users online

Martin's Twitter