Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samphe
    • By samphe 11th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 127Posts
    • 55Thanks
    samphe
    0 WOW
    Wrong surname booking on booking.
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Wrong surname booking on booking. 11th Jun 17 at 7:43 PM
    This has happened to my brother and his partner and I wondered whether anyone has any advice?

He booked a holiday by phone to Thailand. When giving the names for the booking, the sales assistant read back the names and he confirmed it was all correct. But she obviously misheard him, and he in turn misheard her.

He noticed the next day on the confirmation that his partners surname on the booking was incorrectly spelt (by just one letter).

He phoned up to get it amended, but they've said that the airlines say they have to cancel the tickets (2 flights each way/2 different airlines) and buy new ones at a cost of £690!

There's been numerous emails back and fore but the airlines (Eitihad and another overseas one, can't remember which) are not budging.

A friend has even suggested she change her name by deed poll (£30), and her passport (£60), then changing name back when she gets back from the holiday. Her passport is due for renewal a couple of months after they get back anyway. This seems extreme though.

Has anyone got any advice?
Page 1
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 18,204 Posts
    • 41,633 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    Has your brother tried contacting the airlines direct? They usually give 24 hours grace to rectify mistakes free of charge.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • samphe
    • By samphe 11th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    samphe
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    I don't think he has, but the booking was made a week or two ago now.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 17,856 Posts
    • 13,554 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    Yet another reason not to book by phone, either go into an office so that you can confirm that the details are correct before the booking is made, or do it yourself online so that you know who to blame if it's wrong. In this case there's certainly a possibility that the tickets will have to be repurchased if Etihad won't budge, although the deed poll idea could be a creative solution if it'll work!
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 11th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 1,575 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    Sounds like a new passport would be needed before the holiday anyway. According to this page, 6 months needs to be remaining on the passport to enter Thailand: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/entry-requirements
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • samphe
    • By samphe 11th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    samphe
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    Thanks Kim_13. Good point. I'll definitely tell him about that.
    • 814man
    • By 814man 11th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    814man
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    Booking an expensive holiday by phone - fail (every time)
    • samphe
    • By samphe 11th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    samphe
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    I've double checked a couple of details with my brother. He has actually booked 3 flights each way. So changing so many flights is what makes it so expensive.

It's a shame to see a couple of comments just stating what a big no-no it is to book a holiday by phone. I think he knows that now, comments like that are not actually helping.

Any actual advice though would be gratefully received!

Thanks
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 11th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    Are the phone calls recorded? Is it worth asking for a copy of the phone calls to hear exactly what happened or is he saying it was his mistake?

IQ
    • samphe
    • By samphe 11th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    samphe
    He's had had a copy of the phone call. She miss hears him, he then miss hears her when she spells it back!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Jun 17, 1:35 AM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    eDicky
    Her passport is due for renewal a couple of months after they get back anyway.
    Originally posted by samphe
    There's no chance of being allowed to board a flight to Thailand on a passport with less than six months' remaining validity.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 12th Jun 17, 3:06 AM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    fifeken
    It's a shame to see a couple of comments just stating what a big no-no it is to book a holiday by phone. I think he knows that now, comments like that are not actually helping.
    Originally posted by samphe
    They may well be helpful to people other than your brother who read this thread.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 12th Jun 17, 5:31 AM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Westin
    I was under the impression that many airlines allow for up to 3 characters in a mis-spelt name to be corrected free of charge. I suspect there might be a time limit to this concession. It might be worth the OP's brother by-passing the agent (or at least trying to) and contacting each of the airlines separately to explain and hopefully correct the one letter issue in the surname.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 13th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    According to the Ethiad agents website up to 3 letters can be changed
    at a charge of USD100.

No time limits mentioned.

So as advised try and speak direct to Ethiad to confirm but the agent will most likely have to make the change and follow the correct procedure (its all in the EY agents website) and probably have their own fee as well.

Cant understand why EY are saying no?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 13th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 10,580 Posts
    • 6,929 Thanks
    Caz3121
    According to the Ethiad agents website up to 3 letters can be changed
    at a charge of USD100.

No time limits mentioned.

So as advised try and speak direct to Ethiad to confirm but the agent will most likely have to make the change and follow the correct procedure (its all in the EY agents website) and probably have their own fee as well.

Cant understand why EY are saying no?
    Originally posted by Heliflyguy
    Often the airlines will do this if it is their flights only on the booking. OP has said there are 3 flights each way and a minimum of 2 different airlines involved so that could be the issue...I have seen similar postings when multiple airlines involved
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 13th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    Often the airlines will do this if it is their flights only on the booking. OP has said there are 3 flights each way and a minimum of 2 different airlines involved so that could be the issue...I have seen similar postings when multiple airlines involved
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    Possibly the case but if the ticket is issued on EY I cant see that the inclusion of other airlines would be a problem but thats possibly too logical, name corrections as such are not a specific fare rule (name changes can be) but an overall T&C of the ticket issuing airline.

If it was Emirates then they will not accept name misspelling corrections at all, poor show really.

Cant say I have ever seen a T&C regarding name corrections that mention other airlines on the booking.

There maybe more than 1 ticket on the booking?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,539Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin