Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zoob
    • By zoob 11th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 193Posts
    • 82Thanks
    zoob
    Shower waste leak
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    Shower waste leak 11th Jun 17 at 6:34 PM
    My shower waste is leaking and I've tried resealing it but there's still a slight drip and was thinking of spraying expending foam around it, what do use think of that idea?
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 11th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    These kind of weeps are really difficult to stop because they are usually caused by pressure on the pipe / trap. Is the waste pipe accessible? If so check if it is a natural correct angle lining up with the trap, if its slightly out and has to be forced to line up it often causes weeps or leaks, waste fittings do not seal well if under stress. I often add a couple of elbows, they allow the pipe to re position in height and left / right alignment quite easily. As soon as you get a nice straight run into the trap you will find they seal easily without having to tighten it too much.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    Expanding foam isn't designed for sealing water leaks from plumbing fittings, so I wouldn't use it.

Depending on exactly where the leak is, I'd use plumbers silicone, or LS-X (like silicone but stays softer so can be removed, better for fittings).

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sealer-50ml/23614
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 11th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    It's no good with any sort of pipework trying to seal it from the outside. At the best you get a temporary "repair"
    Favourite with compression type fitting is that the rubber seal is the wrong way round. The taper on it should be towards the fitting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,994Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin