Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cooljenn
    • By Cooljenn 11th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cooljenn
    Struggling to find car insurance
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    Struggling to find car insurance 11th Jun 17 at 4:27 PM
    I picked up my new car last week (Mazda 2 GT Sport) and the vast majority of insurers are unable to give me a quote. The model isn't listed on the majority of insurers systems.

The model was only released this month so before purchasing the car I used the model it was replacing (sport nav 115) which I had no problems in being quoted for. I've only been able to find 5 insurance companies that can give me a quote. I've gone with the cheapest which is £200 more than the sport nav 115, as I'm hoping the car will appear on more insurers systems within the 14 day cool off period. Has anyone else had the issue? And know when the car will appear on insurance systems? I've spoken to a couple of companies over the phone (Churchill and Aviva) who said they'd not seen this happen before. I feel like the insurance companies have me over a barrel as they aren't competitive prices.
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 9,730 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    Have your tried using the various comparison sites? The Mazda 2 GT Sport is listed on comparethemarket website for example.
    • Cooljenn
    • By Cooljenn 11th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cooljenn
    • 11th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    Yes, but I only get a handful of quotes and 106 insurers can't provide me with a quote
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 32,119 Posts
    • 16,208 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    Did you use the dealer's drive away free insurance? They usually do their best to get you to buy a full policy.

Or maybe see if Mazda insurance is competitive?

And try a local broker (not Swinton)
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 11th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    Doesn't help, but you're not alone - seen a couple of similar posts on here in the past
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    waamo
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    Have you tried a high risk broker? An unknown car will be technically high risk so the likes of Adrian Flux might be competitive.
    This space for hire.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 12th Jun 17, 12:57 AM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:57 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:57 AM
    Did you use the dealer's drive away free insurance? They usually do their best to get you to buy a full policy.

Or maybe see if Mazda insurance is competitive?

And try a local broker (not Swinton)
    Originally posted by Quentin

Definitely worth a shot, I bought a three year old Mazda and when I called to switch my insurer claimed the car didn't exist and therefore they couldn't insure it. I got driveaway insurance in the meantime and the quote they gave me for the year was good although when I phoned my insurer again it was no problem to switch so I stayed with them.

John
    • cooljenn
    • By cooljenn 16th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cooljenn
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions all. I was hoping to pay around £300 (the quote from my previous insurer quoted for the Sport Nav 115 which the GT Sport is replacing and is practically the same car). From the 5 quotes I got for the GT Sport I went with the cheapest which was Elephant insurance for £500. Mazda quoted me £800+, brokers quoted £600+. Comparison sites still only show a handful of quotes, the highest of which is £9000+ (ridiculous!!). I've paid £200 more than I was hoping, but I will keep checking the comparison sites while I'm still within the 14 day cool off period with Elephant insurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin