Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • davidxt
    • By davidxt 11th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Oven door - contents or building?
    • #1
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    Oven door - contents or building? 11th Jun 17 at 1:45 PM
    I have accidentally damaged the outer glass of the door to my built-in oven. I have got accidental damage cover for contents but not for building. Does anyone know if a built-in oven counts as contents or building for insurance purposes?
Page 1
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 11th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 5,925 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:00 PM

    think I read in a previous thread that if you could turn your house upside down and shake it, anything that falls out is contents.

    It may be 'built-in' but not with the bricks.
    Y'all take care now.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 11th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • #3
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    I would never claim on my insurance for a small item like this.
    Oven glass is fairly easy to replace yourself.
    Get on Youtube...........
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Jun 17, 2:34 PM
    • 15,074 Posts
    • 7,619 Thanks
    • #4
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:34 PM
    • #4
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:34 PM
    Are you sure its worth it after paying your excess?
    I have just looked on googlee and you can get them for around £120-150.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 11th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    • #5
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • #5
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    Usually contents, although every insurer has a slightly different line drawn for where the cut off between the two is.

    How old is the oven? If new-for-old cover and over 3 years or so, the parts will be obsolete therefore likely beyond repair & will be replaced. This can be a bit of a faff.

    Also, what is the excess for accidental damage under your contents policy? If you're happy to source a spare yourself, probs £150 or so, it's normally more cost effective to do this when factoring in your renewal increase.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 11th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    • #6
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • #6
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    If it's built in to the units, it's buildings.

    Like the turning house upside down analogy. If it moves when you turn your house upside down, it's a content (exception to this is carpets).

    If it was a free standing oven, it'd be a content.
    Capital One:£1,259.40/£1,300.00
    Aqua: £273.29/£300.00
    o2: £221.00 / £271.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,319Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin