Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2016Convert
    • By 2016Convert 11th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 1Thanks
    2016Convert
    Pension Credit and moving home.
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    Pension Credit and moving home. 11th Jun 17 at 1:18 PM
    Hi there

My parents are in receipt of a guaranteed pension credit and they don't pay council tax.

They own their home but are at age where they want to downsize to a bungalow. I happen to live directly next to bungalow that has gone on the market and am in the fortunate position to be able to buy the bungalow. My parents want to put their current house in my name. I buy the bungalow in my name and move my parents into there. They wouldn't be paying any rent as I would then rent the house they have put in my name out.

Just wondering how it would affect their benefits? I'm aware that I will have to pay capital gains tax on the house I would receive in my name.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 27,804 Posts
    • 70,618 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    Why should your parents receive means tested benefits when they have given away the capital they have in their house?
    • 2016Convert
    • By 2016Convert 11th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    2016Convert
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    I'm asking how it would affect their benefits. Not why.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 27,804 Posts
    • 70,618 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    Read up on deprivation of assets.
    • 2016Convert
    • By 2016Convert 11th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    2016Convert
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    Any links?

It was a question. I thought this board was supposed to be a source of help for questions. Any help appreciated.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 11th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    Try googling "deprivation of assets and benefits".

You may find this - "If you deprive yourself of capital in order to increase the amount of benefit you get you can be treated as if you still had that capital, this is called ‘notional capital’. This might occur if you give assets away to members of your family..."

Then try googling "benefit fraud"
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 11-06-2017 at 2:07 PM.
    • w06
    • By w06 11th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    w06
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    They'd lose all benefits because they've deprived themselves of the value of a house in order to keep benefits
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 21,953 Posts
    • 12,655 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    By giving away their home, your parents would be deemed to have deprived themselves of capital/assets.

https://www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk/socialwelfare/the-deprivation-of-capital-rule-in-welfare-benefits/

Under the 'deprivation of capital rule', a claimant who deprives him or herself of capital for the purpose of retaining or obtaining entitlement to means-tested benefits (i.e. Income Support, Housing and Council Benefit, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-based Employment and Support Allowance and State Pension Credit) will be treated as depriving themselves of capital. Under the regulations the claimant will then be treated as still possessing the value of the actual capital given away as "notional capital" for benefit purposes, (subject to its value diminishing over time by means of a calculation under the 'diminishing notional capital rule'). See for example Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/213) reg 49 (similar provisions apply to each of the means-tested benefits listed above).

As they are in receipt of means tested benefits, they must be fully aware that there is a means test in operation so could hardly claim ignorance of the rules.

They own their home but are at age where they want to downsize to a bungalow.
    Then they can sell their home and buy the bungalow?

If there were a shortfall, I am sure that you would be generous enough to lend your parents the required amount against a charge on the property....
    • 2016Convert
    • By 2016Convert 11th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    2016Convert
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    I only asked what would happen. Not attempting to commit benefit fraud or my parents to be ignorant of the rules.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 7,870 Posts
    • 4,691 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I can't understand why they would give you their house , unless to keep it from the care providers or to have no capital from a sale without buying on. Both scenarios fit the comments above, as they seek to deprive the benefit system.

If you want their house to rent out, then you can buy it and they can buy the bungalow with that income. They can then keep their benefits, if there is no surplus to become savings (giving this surplus to you would be deprivation of assets as mentioned .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin