Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 11th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 98Thanks
    PhilE
    Neighbours ball damaging fence.
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    Neighbours ball damaging fence. 11th Jun 17 at 1:10 PM
    So I'm in a situation where the neighbors at the rear, children and father, pound a heavy football against the fence. Its my mothers property.

Its been agitating her, and has caused damage to the fence. There's a bench at the back where she likes to sit, now she can't do that without the fence sounding like someones taken a hammer to it.

I'll be checking the deeds on Monday to see who owns the fence. I'll take pictures of the damage, and then knock on the door and politely ask that they stop, as they have damaged the fence and are causing agitation.

Failing that, it will have to be a solicitors letter. I'd rather it didn't go that far.

Any shared experience on a similar matter or additional things I could do would be appreciated.
Page 4
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    Right, this is still going on and Im fuming. Another ball has come over and its damaged plants. Right now, he says one thing to me and I might get a bit angry.

Thinking of writing a letter to keep it polite and to the point, followed by another letter saying 'if it continues, I'll be forced to take legal action.' - What action?

Right now if I speak with him a lot of anger is going to come up, which could be detrimental, I'm not always around to look at my mums property. - So you cant keep calm in situations of minor stress?

Any advice appreciated.
    Originally posted by PhilE
    What other advice do you want? Kids play football and sometimes kick it over the fence. That's called LIFE
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    They put 2 balls in my mums garden tonight, 2 balls a few days back. They usually average 4 balls per week, sometimes more. Thats about £50 worth.

My mums in her 70's and cant throw them over a 6 foot fence, so they are sitting in her garden tucked away.

Went down the local police station tonight, and asked to speak with a PSCO. Explained the situation, the receptionist was helpful and said that as its a safety issue they'll have to look into it, the likely outcome being they'll go round and have a chat with him to stop.

It would be very easy in this situation for me to have a go at him, but right now the law is in my favor. If I loose my cool that might not be the case so much. Very important to remember that in these situations.

A walls definitely going up ASAP though. Big tree also.

You're wasting valuable poloce time on this nonsense?

More worryingly the police are actually wasting time on this nonsense?!

(make sure you get planning permission for both )
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    The problem is that foreigners living in the UK tend to behave as though they are still in their own country.

Remember all the issues around Polish immigrants dumping all their waste outside the front of their houses?. They did it because back in Poland that was the norm as every day the waste collector would collect the waste and take it away, so the Polish assumed it was the same over here until the local Councils started to educate them.

In your neighbours home country it might be acceptable behavior to use a fence as a goal. Until someone in authority educates them otherwise, then they will not seeing as an issue.
    Originally posted by patman99
    ? It IS perfectly acceptable to use a fence as a goal.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    Technically she could call the police and say it's assault ... because it is really. That'd make them STFU.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    No, no it's not. It an accident. Get a grip
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 59,967 Posts
    • 350,533 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    What other advice do you want? Kids play football and sometimes kick it over the fence. That's called LIFE
    Originally posted by Guest101
    I disagree. It's life if it happens 1/2 times and is then rectified - after that it's nuisance and nonsense.

If I had a hobby that lobbed random items into the gardens of neighbours, after the second time I'd be standing and scratching my head thinking "This isn't right. I must fix this. I can't be a nuisance to people and I dislike going and asking to retrieve it".... and I'd work out a solution so that I wasn't lobbing random items into the gardens of others.

It's the thin end of the wedge when it comes to disrespect. Disrespect for others, for the rights of others, for social cohesion and community spirit. It's verging on feral ... and the kid is being taught poor citizenship skills.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 59,967 Posts
    • 350,533 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    No, no it's not. It an accident. Get a grip
    Yes OTT... but the OP needs a solution that the neanderthal next door will understand.

For every action there is a reaction.

The knuckle dragger isn't listening. Old people shouldn't be assaulted by foreign objects in their own back garden on a daily basis. Nobody should.

What, if, say, it were a new born baby lying in a pram in the garden? Should people not be allowed to sit in their own gardens and invite babies, small children, animals over "in case"? Should they not be able to enjoy fragile garden ornaments and greenhouses, "because"?

Last edited by PasturesNew; 10-07-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 10th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    mollycat
    You're wasting valuable poloce time on this nonsense?

More worryingly the police are actually wasting time on this nonsense?!

(make sure you get planning permission for both )
    It's not nonsense, it's legitimate problem involving someone's right to a reasonable use of their amenities.

Exactly the type of pro-active policing that probably saves them work in the long term.

What would you rather they were doing, paperwork?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 59,967 Posts
    • 350,533 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ? It IS perfectly acceptable to use a fence as a goal.
    Again, I disagree. It is perfectly acceptable to use YOUR OWN fence as a goal, if you wish to pay the landlord for the damage, or pay to replace your own fence, that's a right.

It is not acceptable to use somebody else's fence as a goal because you were too tight or idle to put up your own fence for the purpose.

It is further NOT acceptable to continually cause nuisance to neighbours by the incessant kicking of balls over the fence and damaging garden items, property and persons daily.

Indeed, some might even "do it on purpose" as they are retarded bullies who gain great glee from ruining the lives of those closest to them. This could, in some cases, be regarded as a "hate crime" if it's done with malice.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 23,137 Posts
    • 88,497 Thanks
    Davesnave
    You're wasting valuable poloce time on this nonsense? )
    I think the police still have the right to decide for themselves what is time-wasting, what requires some response and what that action might be.

Not sure about the poloce.

I doubt if they will send an armed unit, but maybe just a PCSO having a word would have some effect on the situation.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    Again, I disagree. It is perfectly acceptable to use YOUR OWN fence as a goal, if you wish to pay the landlord for the damage, or pay to replace your own fence, that's a right. - So remove the fence and let them put their own up.

It is not acceptable to use somebody else's fence as a goal because you were too tight or idle to put up your own fence for the purpose. - Most people don't even know how fence ownership works, they think it's something to do with boundaries. and the OP wont even have a conversation with them.

It is further NOT acceptable to continually cause nuisance to neighbours by the incessant kicking of balls over the fence and damaging garden items, property and persons daily. - They're CHILDREN. They aren't doing it deliberately.

Indeed, some might even "do it on purpose" as they are retarded bullies who gain great glee from ruining the lives of those closest to them. This could, in some cases, be regarded as a "hate crime" if it's done with malice.

A hate crime? No.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    I think the police still have the right to decide for themselves what is time-wasting, what requires some response and what that action might be.

Not sure about the poloce.

I doubt if they will send an armed unit, but maybe just a PCSO having a word would have some effect on the situation.
    Originally posted by Davesnave

Or, and it's radical, but it just might work.... go and talk to them yourselves.....
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    I disagree. It's life if it happens 1/2 times and is then rectified - after that it's nuisance and nonsense.

If I had a hobby that lobbed random items into the gardens of neighbours, after the second time I'd be standing and scratching my head thinking "This isn't right. I must fix this. I can't be a nuisance to people and I dislike going and asking to retrieve it".... and I'd work out a solution so that I wasn't lobbing random items into the gardens of others.

It's the thin end of the wedge when it comes to disrespect. Disrespect for others, for the rights of others, for social cohesion and community spirit. It's verging on feral ... and the kid is being taught poor citizenship skills.

Citizenship? What fish, chips, 2 pints and a fight?

Children playing in their garden and not causing trouble on the streets? Hooligans!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    It's not nonsense, it's legitimate problem involving someone's right to a reasonable use of their amenities.

Exactly the type of pro-active policing that probably saves them work in the long term.

What would you rather they were doing, paperwork?
    Originally posted by mollycat

I'd rather people at least made the effort to resolve CIVIL disputes, where no crime has been committed, without involving the police.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 59,967 Posts
    • 350,533 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    "They're children...."

So where is the responsible adult? Behind every child is a responsible adult teaching, allowing, condoning, condemning or encouraging all behaviours.

The irresponsible adult in this case is enabling and allowing this behaviour. This is what I call: Bad Parenting.

Arrogance, a heightened sense of entitlement and downright bl00dy minded rudeness.

I hope he's got grass.... else his knuckles will hurt on gravel.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 23,137 Posts
    • 88,497 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Or, and it's radical, but it just might work.... go and talk to them yourselves.....
    I thought that had been tried....

Well, tea and cake didn't work. Another neighbor has also asked him, which hasn't solved anything
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    I thought that had been tried....
    Originally posted by Davesnave

But that doesn't mean the next step is the police!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 59,967 Posts
    • 350,533 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    But that doesn't mean the next step is the police!
    The OP is distant/absent.
    The OP has tried an approach.
    The OP's mother's neighbour has tried, to no avail.
    The OP's mother is elderly/frightened/intimidated and/or doesn't possess the physical/verbal/bully-fight-back skills to go bang on the door and get it resolved.

What IS the next step then?

For PCSOs this is "right up their street" ... plodding about looking for minor nuisances and dealing with the small/mundane stuff.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    The OP is distant/absent.
    The OP has tried an approach.
    The OP's mother's neighbour has tried, to no avail.
    The OP's mother is elderly/frightened/intimidated and/or doesn't possess the physical/verbal/bully-fight-back skills to go bang on the door and get it resolved.

What IS the next step then?

For PCSOs this is "right up their street" ... plodding about looking for minor nuisances and dealing with the small/mundane stuff.

Ok, let's just assume the PCSO is the correct next step. What powers do they have to enforce this kind of thing?
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 10th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    m0bov
    Anti Social Behaviour Order
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 59,967 Posts
    • 350,533 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Ok, let's just assume the PCSO is the correct next step. What powers do they have to enforce this kind of thing?
    The authority to explain that it's not acceptable - and, with that authority, for the message to possibly be taken on board.

The power to send the clear message that "things can and will be done".

The power to show a bully/nuisance that there are bigger/badder people out there than themselves who are prepared to knock on their door and say "Oi!! No".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,180Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iamemmahill: After watching @MartinSLewis I rang my provider & asked them to recalculate my bill &it has gone from £81 to £51 a month.S?

• Seriously? How is this supporting Uber... IT'S A POLL! I do em ever day on topical subjects. And I've never promote? https://t.co/JrlxaoNLlY

• RT @Mum2DDSophie: @MartinSLewis Thanks for your advice! I have easily switched from Extra Energy standard tariff to another supplier and wi?

• Follow Martin