Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 11th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 65Thanks
    PhilE
    Neighbours ball damaging fence.
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    Neighbours ball damaging fence. 11th Jun 17 at 1:10 PM
    So I'm in a situation where the neighbors at the rear, children and father, pound a heavy football against the fence. Its my mothers property.

Its been agitating her, and has caused damage to the fence. There's a bench at the back where she likes to sit, now she can't do that without the fence sounding like someones taken a hammer to it.

I'll be checking the deeds on Monday to see who owns the fence. I'll take pictures of the damage, and then knock on the door and politely ask that they stop, as they have damaged the fence and are causing agitation.

Failing that, it will have to be a solicitors letter. I'd rather it didn't go that far.

Any shared experience on a similar matter or additional things I could do would be appreciated.
Page 2
    • Chloe_G
    • By Chloe_G 12th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Chloe_G
    My new neighbours painted their side of my fence (cost me £1500 three months before they moved in.) They got some odd job men who spraypainted it black (it was pale gold colour) on a November evening in the pouring rain). I saw it next morning - dark woodstain had run through ruined the fence, all run down and ruined the gravel boards. I went round nicely and explained it was my fence and he should have asked and he had damaged my fence.) He had a good old laugh and can't understand my problem! Tea and cake didn't work.

Sorry if this is off the point; I can't stand stress of going down the solicitor route and I am now growing a holly hedge this side and will eventually take down my fence leaving him to put up with holly leaves!
    Last edited by Chloe_G; 12-06-2017 at 6:50 PM. Reason: to add more
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 22,644 Posts
    • 87,540 Thanks
    Davesnave
    My new neighbours painted their side of my fence (cost me £1500 three months before they moved in.) They got some odd job men who spraypainted it black (it was pale gold colour) on a November evening in the pouring rain). I saw it next morning - dark woodstain had run through ruined the fence, all run down and ruined the gravel boards. I went round nicely and explained it was my fence and he should have asked and he had damaged my fence.) He had a good old laugh and can't understand my problem! Tea and cake didn't work.

Sorry if this is off the point; I can't stand stress of going down the solicitor route and I am now growing a holly hedge this side and will eventually take down my fence leaving him to put up with holly leaves!
    Originally posted by Chloe_G
    If it's any consolation, the golden colour wouldn't have stayed long. The panels always fade and need further treatment, although a weathered grey is fine IMO.

You are doing the right thing, preparing for the long term and growing something dense and prickly. Berberis darwinii is faster than holly, as is pyracantha, but holly's nicest, when it gets there.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 12th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    hammy1988
    For those people saying buy a football net - I used to play football with my brother and Dad in our garden. We had a football net. The ball still hit the fence! Apologies I don't have any other suggestions other than the be nice approach.

I don't know your area but the difficulties we had as children was that it was the back garden or nothing as the land around us had those wonderful signs saying "No ball games".
    Originally posted by yoshiyella
    I have one of those delightful 'no ball games allowed' signs on my back garden brick wall... although it actually says 'ball games allowed...' The kids on the estate chisel off the no part everytime its fixed LOL.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Jun 17, 10:45 PM
    • 6,591 Posts
    • 46,715 Thanks
    kerri gt
    The kids might like the fact the ball bounces back off the fence so this might be better than a set of goals

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/8718475907794/adjustable-football-kickback-rebounder-100-x-100-cm?gclid=CN2dn7SjudQCFRUUGwodeFIBbg

Fingers crossed a simple word and some tea / cake may resolve the situation - chances are they don't know your mother sits there on the other side.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 13th Jun 17, 3:00 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    I plan on having this problem next year when we move house as my son in football mad. My soloution will be a goal but also erecting a full width net to stop any wayward shots. Priced up, all in about £150, money well spent to give the neighbours and ourselves some peace. You can also buy heavy foam footballs that dont make much noise.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 13th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    Unfortunately not everyone is as considerate a neighbor as you!
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 22,054 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    xylophone
    coup de gras...
    Hit by a suet ball?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 14,799 Posts
    • 36,852 Thanks
    elsien
    Neighbours to the side used to do this, a couple of feet from the back door and kitchen. Used to drive me up the wall. I could never work out how the parents managed to ignore it as their garden was quite small so the sound would have been equally as loud. Didn't seem to bother them though.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 25th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    Well, tea and cake didn't work. Another neighbor has also asked him, which hasn't solved anything

He's an East European gentleman, who likes to do things his own way shall we say. Unfortunately, I've had to be a little verbally assertive.

What I'll be doing is building a brick wall as high as possible. He chopped down a lovely tree in the back of his garden, which was just inside of his garden on the shared border. Possibly for more light, and space.
    I'll be planting a nice big tree on our side of the border, directly next to where his tree used to be. That'll cause him to lose light, but if he'd been polite and accommodating that wouldn't have happened. The tree and wall will help screen him out as much as possible, if my mum moves he'll have a nice big tree to remember me by.

A shame people have to be selfish like this.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 22,644 Posts
    • 87,540 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Eucalyptus dalrympleana is hardy, evergreen and grows about 20' in 5 years.

Opera played through a rechargeable bluetooth speaker annoys most people after a while, even if it's not very loud.

Then there's....

https://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/security-equipment/mosquito-mk4-anti-loitering-device?gclid=CLaChtXK2dQCFSa-7QodJmEJoA

.....which your Mum won't hear.

Kinda pricey for MSE!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 25-06-2017 at 7:06 PM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 25th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    Eucalyptus dalrympleana is hardy, evergreen and grows about 20' in 5 years.

Opera played through a rechargeable bluetooth speaker annoys most people after a while, even if it's not very loud.

Then there's....

https://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/security-equipment/mosquito-mk4-anti-loitering-device?gclid=CLaChtXK2dQCFSa-7QodJmEJoA

.....which your Mum won't hear.

Kinda pricey for MSE!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    The kids are pretty young, and there's a toddler and baby next door, I wouldn't use that mosquito device to be honest.

Thanks for the recommendation on the tree though, looks ideal.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    • 22,644 Posts
    • 87,540 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The kids are pretty young, and there's a toddler and baby next door, I wouldn't use that mosquito device to be honest.

Thanks for the recommendation on the tree though, looks ideal.
    Originally posted by PhilE
    The Mosquito wasn't a serious suggestion, but the local Co-op in a suburb where I used to live, used low volume operatic music to great effect for keeping its doorway and immediate surrounds clear.

I grew several of the eucalyptus from seed and found them faster than leylandii. They'll be chopped-down when other trees I've planted are large enough to have more presence. Not sure when/if they stop!
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 1st Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    In the space of 12 hours there have been 2 heavy leather balls over my Mums fence. If one were to hit her on the head, it'll hurt and perhaps injure her.

Then I will completely lose patience, which I'm very near to doing.

I'll chat to the council on Monday. Surely if there is a threat of injury they will offer assistance.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 1st Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    m0bov
    I hope your mum didnt give them back. Have you spoken to your local pcso? They might have a chat with him.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 12,867 Posts
    • 35,356 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Cautionary note on eucalyptus tree - I understand they are trees in the same nuisance category as leylandii.

.....and I do recall my last hairdresser telling me she was under instruction from her insurance company to get rid of the one in her back garden - and she had to do so. That thing about insurance companies often not being happy about trees that close to a house they are insuring. I gather the rough "rule of thumb" as to how far a tree can fall (and whack the nearest house one) is they can fall as far as their height basically.

Hence I've made sure the trees I've put in are destined to be on the short side anyway and are rather further from my house than their height could ever get to be.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 1st Jul 17, 2:57 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    I hope your mum didnt give them back. Have you spoken to your local pcso? They might have a chat with him.
    Originally posted by m0bov
    Thats a good suggestion. I'll see if there's one in my area and have a chat with them.

No, the balls have not been returned. I live close by, if he knocks on my mums door to ask for them back, I'll come round to have a chat about things.

The advice by the police on the matter https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q719.htm?letter=N

They say to return the balls back or face prosecution. My mum is in her 70's and cant throw 2 balls per day over a 6ft fence, after they have nearly hit her.
    Also, my priority is her not getting hit by a heavy ball and having an accident as a result.
    Last edited by PhilE; 01-07-2017 at 3:39 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 22,644 Posts
    • 87,540 Thanks
    Davesnave
    =moneyistooshorttomention;72775705

.....and I do recall my last hairdresser telling me she was under instruction from her insurance company to get rid of the one in her back garden - and she had to do so....
    I was going to ask how the insurers knew it was there, but then I saw she's a hairdresser, which explains everything!

I think Douglas Adams got it about right with hairdressers.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 12,867 Posts
    • 35,356 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I was going to ask how the insurers knew it was there, but then I saw she's a hairdresser, which explains everything!

I think Douglas Adams got it about right with hairdressers.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    That thought didnt even cross my mind to ask her actually...

I'm assuming that either:
    a. They asked her in some standard form as to whether there was such a tree there and she was truthful in her response

OR

b. Maybe a neighbour knew who her insurer was and told them.

I'm guessing it was a. - as my experience of her was that she was an honest/straightforward sort of person., Also I seem to remember myself that it's a question some insurers ask (ie as to how close trees are to the house) - as I've wondered what one answers if the answer is "I'm absolutely fine. None of MY trees are too close/too tall - but a neighbour has got one of THEIR trees within that radius". As, after all, what a neighbour gets up to is not under one's direct control....

Unfortunately - as there's been another teensy bit of chav behaviour yet again today by one of my nfh. Fortunately yesterday's example of their behaviour was imposed on an "innocent" neighbour of mine - so it didn't affect me personally.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 01-07-2017 at 5:54 PM.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • Kinski
    • By Kinski 2nd Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    Kinski
    In the space of 12 hours there have been 2 heavy leather balls over my Mums fence. If one were to hit her on the head, it'll hurt and perhaps injure her.

Then I will completely lose patience, which I'm very near to doing.

I'll chat to the council on Monday. Surely if there is a threat of injury they will offer assistance.
    Originally posted by PhilE
    I have the same problem with a neighbour, nice family but I'm fed up with leather footballs coming over the wall, I've small dogs and children running about the garden and I'm seriously worried about them being hit by one of the balls. I have found a temporary solution though, one of the balls accidentally landed in dog poo before I managed to pick it up and it was thrown back over the wall with the poo still attached, I've not had another ball over since that happened.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 3rd Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    I used to have this problem in a rented property. When balls came over I genuinely didn't realise immediately, especially if I was at work. They'd get them back eventually...

But it did damage the fence, knocked a hole out of the bottom. Then the boys' mum told me that it was up to my landlady to fix it as it was her fence. They were worried that their new puppy would then get through....

Not my battle but in case my landlady ever needed it I took a video once of the ball hitting the fence, no faces of anyone in it of course, to illustrate how the damage happened.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin