Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 11th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 65Thanks
    PhilE
    Neighbours ball damaging fence.
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    Neighbours ball damaging fence. 11th Jun 17 at 1:10 PM
    So I'm in a situation where the neighbors at the rear, children and father, pound a heavy football against the fence. Its my mothers property.

Its been agitating her, and has caused damage to the fence. There's a bench at the back where she likes to sit, now she can't do that without the fence sounding like someones taken a hammer to it.

I'll be checking the deeds on Monday to see who owns the fence. I'll take pictures of the damage, and then knock on the door and politely ask that they stop, as they have damaged the fence and are causing agitation.

Failing that, it will have to be a solicitors letter. I'd rather it didn't go that far.

Any shared experience on a similar matter or additional things I could do would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 40,194 Posts
    • 45,934 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    Have a chat over tea and cake.

(with the neighbours, not your mother!).

In my mum's similar case, we ofered to pay for a new, strengthened, fence.

Another option could be to build a 2nd fence inside your mum's bounday.

But the ideal is to pursade the kids to use the opposite fence for their games, or go to the park.

Lots of options. Tea and cake.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 59,237 Posts
    • 345,939 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    Meanwhile, gather as many glass bottles as you can and then get dodgy/inadequate hooks to enable them to hang off the fence on your side, put paving slabs under them. When it happens, rush out to hang them all up ... and wait.

It won't be long before the bottles smash .... and she can shout out and go "Oi I'm sitting here and you've smashed my garden features"

Dim people with inadequate brain cells have no idea that all fences have two sides....
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 11th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    I'm going to be as polite and reasonable about it as possible in the early stages, my mum actually lives by herself and I'm not always around. He doesn't look like a thug or anything, but you never know.

I'm actually in favor of kids talking exercise in their gardens, but it shouldn't be at the expense of others obviously.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 22,644 Posts
    • 87,540 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    Just a quick word to say that the deeds may not tell you who owns the fence; in fact they're unlikely to be of much help unless the houses and the fences are quite new.

Property title documents may say who is responsible for which boundary, but that's what they record: boundaries, not fences. The fence may follow the boundary, of course, but there is no legal requirement for a fence. Any kind of marker would do.

So, with established properties, fences belong to whoever erected them.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Ithaca
    • By Ithaca 12th Jun 17, 12:05 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Ithaca
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:05 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:05 AM
    Our rear neighbours do exactly the same thing, to the point where there is now a reasonably large hole in the fence.

I've taken the view that as I have a four year old boy and a one year old boy the situation is likely to be reversed in about 5 years' time, so our neighbours will find out about the concept of karma in due course.

The option I will probably take, however, is to sink some tree posts in front of the fence where the goalposts are which should prevent a majority of shots hitting the fence.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 12th Jun 17, 5:29 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    sparky130a
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:29 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 5:29 AM
    As suggested, tea and cake. Make your point then..

And the coup de gras...

Produce a brand new shiny fluorescent football.....

http://www.discountfootballkits.com/Footballs?gclid=CODf-9S7t9QCFdMW0wodiv4AsA

Damn sight cheaper than a solicitor...

But of course on the understanding they start playing fair....
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 12th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    hammy1988
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    Anti climbing paint all over the fence it never dries so will cover and stickily ruin the football...and anything it touches such as clothing and shoes mwahaha. Might soon put them off!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 22,644 Posts
    • 87,540 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    Anti climbing paint all over the fence it never dries so will cover and stickily ruin the football...and anything it touches such as clothing and shoes mwahaha. Might soon put them off!
    Originally posted by hammy1988
    That's more likely to lead to retaliation, which the OP's mother doesn't need and wouldn't necessarily cope well with.

We can all think of nuclear options.

Tea, cake and the promise of a new football every few months if it stops is route 1.

Routes 2, 3, 4 etc are much more expensive, but none of them ought to involve putting something as nasty as anti-vandal paint on the footballer's side.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 12th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    Mardle
    As suggested, tea and cake. Make your point then..

And the coup de gras...

Produce a brand new shiny fluorescent football.....

http://www.discountfootballkits.com/Footballs?gclid=CODf-9S7t9QCFdMW0wodiv4AsA

Damn sight cheaper than a solicitor...

But of course on the understanding they start playing fair....
    Originally posted by sparky130a
    They've obviously got a football so maybe one of these would be better. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2968456
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 12th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    sparky130a
    They've obviously got a football so maybe one of these would be better. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2968456
    Originally posted by Mardle
    Indeed.

But my point stands.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Jun 17, 10:50 AM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Suggest you repair whatever damage the football has caused to the fence. With some sharp nails. That poke through to the other side....
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 14,478 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    So I'm in a situation where the neighbors at the rear, children and father, pound a heavy football against the fence. Its my mothers property.

Its been agitating her, and has caused damage to the fence. There's a bench at the back where she likes to sit, now she can't do that without the fence sounding like someones taken a hammer to it.

I'll be checking the deeds on Monday to see who owns the fence. I'll take pictures of the damage, and then knock on the door and politely ask that they stop, as they have damaged the fence and are causing agitation.

Failing that, it will have to be a solicitors letter. I'd rather it didn't go that far.

Any shared experience on a similar matter or additional things I could do would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by PhilE
    The deeds wont show who owns the fence, so you need to clarify with your mum who put it up
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    Thanks for the suggestions all. The fence was actually erected by the neighbors to the right of my mums property when facing it. Had a chat with them and they payed for the whole of the fence to the rear, which covers all of their rear garden and half of my mums.
    They have damage to their fence also, and are not too happy about it.

You can get football nets for less than £40; more fun for the kids, no noise for the neighbors and no damage to fences. Really cant understand why the father doesn't simply invest in one of those.

I will try the 'tea and cake,' approach and suggest this.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 14,478 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    Thanks for the suggestions all. The fence was actually erected by the neighbors to the right of my mums property when facing it. Had a chat with them and they payed for the whole of the fence to the rear, which covers all of their rear garden and half of my mums.
    They have damage to their fence also, and are not too happy about it.

You can get football nets for less than £40; more fun for the kids, no noise for the neighbors and no damage to fences. Really cant understand why the father doesn't simply invest in one of those.

I will try the 'tea and cake,' approach and suggest this.

In which case only those neighbours have a claim
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    In which case only those neighbours have a claim
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Fence at rear of two houses.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    That's more likely to lead to retaliation, which the OP's mother doesn't need and wouldn't necessarily cope well with.

We can all think of nuclear options.

Tea, cake and the promise of a new football every few months if it stops is route 1.

Routes 2, 3, 4 etc are much more expensive, but none of them ought to involve putting something as nasty as anti-vandal paint on the footballer's side.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Yes its necessary to try the 'nice,' options first if its your elderly parent involved, and you don't live there. I do have to consider retaliation when I'm not around.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 14,478 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    Fence at rear of two houses.
    What?

Look, only the owners of the fence have a claim.

Just like I cant claim for damage for your car.

It's simple property ownership law.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 12th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    buy them a football net? (and cake)
    Downsized and mortgage free
    August 17 grocery challenge 0/£100
    • yoshiyella
    • By yoshiyella 12th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    yoshiyella
    For those people saying buy a football net - I used to play football with my brother and Dad in our garden. We had a football net. The ball still hit the fence! Apologies I don't have any other suggestions other than the be nice approach.

I don't know your area but the difficulties we had as children was that it was the back garden or nothing as the land around us had those wonderful signs saying "No ball games".

Not sure how old these children are but I'm sure you can get balls that are soft play ( a harder type of sponge ball) so has less impact on the fence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin