Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simonineaston
    • By simonineaston 11th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 29Thanks
    simonineaston
    Tidying up trivial stocks
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    Tidying up trivial stocks 11th Jun 17 at 12:04 PM
    Hi folks, I'm hoping for a quick steer towards the right place - it's not long since I got probate for both my parents estates. All has gone well, due in part to advice from you guys :-) and I am now left with 2 nice tidy estates and a bob or two from my dear old folks. There's also a couple of minimal share bundles to deal with - around a couple of hundred Lloyds bank and a similar number of Standard Life - they're probably worth no more than £500-600 between them. What would folk do with them - keep them for the fun of it or sell them for tidyness sake? If so, what's the simplest & cheapest way to sell them, given that I have no other interest in share dealing? I have an IFA - shall I ask him to sell them as he probably has access to the means to do so?
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 11th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 8,073 Posts
    • 7,898 Thanks
    Linton
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    H-L looks fairly straightforward, I dont know how the service price compares with other options.
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 11th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 3,770 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    H-L looks fairly straightforward, I dont know how the service price compares with other options.
    Originally posted by Linton
    Depends on the amount - there is a table here: http://www.sellmysharecertificates.com/
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 7,518 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    Hi folks, I'm hoping for a quick steer towards the right place - it's not long since I got probate for both my parents estates. All has gone well, due in part to advice from you guys :-) and I am now left with 2 nice tidy estates and a bob or two from my dear old folks. There's also a couple of minimal share bundles to deal with - around a couple of hundred Lloyds bank and a similar number of Standard Life - they're probably worth no more than £500-600 between them. What would folk do with them - keep them for the fun of it or sell them for tidyness sake? If so, what's the simplest & cheapest way to sell them, given that I have no other interest in share dealing? I have an IFA - shall I ask him to sell them as he probably has access to the means to do so?
    Originally posted by simonineaston
    Sell them yourself, its trivially easy and going to be cheaper than getting an IFA to do it because they will have to charge your for their time.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 12th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    talexuser
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    I notice sellmysharecertificate doesn't have x-o in their table since it is only £5.95 a trade! Only takes a little longer if you have paper shares to get on crest but doesn't cost you anything.
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 13th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    • 3,770 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    I notice sellmysharecertificate doesn't have x-o in their table since it is only £5.95 a trade! Only takes a little longer if you have paper shares to get on crest but doesn't cost you anything.
    Originally posted by talexuser
    Yes I use x-o. But the OP asked for the simplest way and it may not be worth learning how to transfer certs into crest and set up an x-o account for someone who is only going to trade once or twice?
    Either way is still a lot cheaper than HL
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 13th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    LHW99
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    Used to be the simplest (definately not cheapest) way to sell paper cert shares was to go into your (major) high street bank. They filled in the form, and paid the money eventually into your account, Not sure if that would still apply these days though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

259Posts Today

1,072Users online

Martin's Twitter