Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davida1992
    • By davida1992 11th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davida1992
    New Windows and Doors
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    New Windows and Doors 11th Jun 17 at 11:28 AM
    I am looking at replacing the windows and doors on the front of the house, it would be 3 windows and 1 door.

I have not gotten any quotes yet, can anyone recommend any company to go for? Am I best going to one of the bigger companies like safestyle/everest? Or should I go for someone local?

I am looking for a good reliable company to do the work, something that is going to last and that is strong and secure. Obviously at the best price too
Page 1
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 11th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    Go for a local company and make sure they are FENSA registered. Don't just take their word that they are registered, check them on the website.

Modern doors often need adjusting in the first few months after fitting, so you will need someone local who can call out easily to make the adjustments (which just take a few minutes).
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Jun 17, 6:36 AM
    • 23,150 Posts
    • 88,529 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:36 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:36 AM
    Am I best going to one of the bigger companies like safestyle/everest? Or should I go for someone local?

I am looking for a good reliable company to do the work, something that is going to last and that is strong and secure. Obviously at the best price too
    Originally posted by davida1992
    No one here is going to recommend you pay for the advertising, sales techniques and high margins of Everest, Anglian or other nationals.

Wait and see if I'm right.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Furts
    • By Furts 12th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 3,488 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Furts
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    I second Davesnave. Some golden rules are:

1) Avoid the national companies
    2) go local, but be wary of local companies who are copying the sales tactics of the nationals. Basically they are trying to be regional companies.
    3) Avoid any local that has a sales person with flash attire and flash car. Indeed avoid any sales folk visiting your home.
    4) Consider your attitude to quality, workmanship and guarantees. If you have any concern with these you will soon be able to detect who is any good.
    5) Treat with caution any local who is pushing a particular brand.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,209Posts Today

9,437Users online

Martin's Twitter