Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wonkotsane
    • By wonkotsane 11th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 5Thanks
    wonkotsane
    Samsung refusing to repair faulty phone
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    Samsung refusing to repair faulty phone 11th Jun 17 at 9:40 AM
    I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge around a year ago on their upgrade programme. You pay monthly for the phone through a finance company and you are eligible to upgrade every year directly through Samsung.

Samsung have replaced the phone 2 or 3 times for different faults and I have had it replaced once through my phone insurance after I dropped it and broke the screen. However, they are refusing to honour the warranty for the latest problem, claiming that I have physically damaged the phone.

A few months back I took my phone out of my jacket pocket and felt that the glass covering the rear camera was broken. I checked it and it looked like a bullet hole. When I got back to the office I showed a colleague and he said he had seen something on his news feed a couple of days previously about it happening to these phones. I did some research and indeed found a large number of articles - including some referring to a class action suit in the US - where people were having the same problem. Almost every person, though, was saying that Samsung were refusing the admit responsibility for it and were forcing customers to pay to repair the phone.

I contacted Samsung and told them what had happened, what I'd found online and asked for it to be repaired under warranty. I was told over the phone there and then that it wouldn't be covered because I had physically damaged the phone. They hadn't even seen the phone and had made their mind up that I had damaged it.

I have had lots of communication by phone and email with Samsung regarding this problem and they have said that they definitely will not honour the warranty. They still haven't told me how much it will cost to repair despite me asking several times, they have also failed to tell me what evidence the engineer found that pointed to physical damage despite me asking and in answer to my question as to how a small square of toughened glass could be broken in such a way without causing any damage whatsoever to the rest of the phone they have said it's not their place to explain that but that it wouldn't be possible to cause the damage without damaging the rest of the phone which is the point I was making!

I have provided Samsung with evidence that this is a fault with the manufacture or design of the handset. I have pointed out that the internet is awash with reports of people having the same problem, that there is a class action suit in the US being launched for this problem and provided them with pictures I downloaded off the internet of people reporting the exact same issue and how they are identical.

I am not willing to pay for repair of the handset when it is defective. I have been without this phone for months but have made several hundreds of pounds in payments for it. Samsung have been evasive and contradictory. What do you think my chances are of successfully obtaining judgement through the small claims court? I just want it repair for free and my costs refunded or for them to pay off the finance and I'll get a phone from someone else.
Page 2
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 11th Jun 17, 10:20 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    daytona0
    1. The class action suit in the US is being brought by a law firm. They have enough appellants, they are preparing the case.
    Originally posted by wonkotsane
    Did a quick google search and sounds like they *MAY* have used cheap glass in the manufacture of the lens, so I'm not going to rule you out right off the bat....

BUT you aren't part of this class action suit so, unless it results in a win for the claimants and a product recall, it serves little to no purpose in your situation at this time.

You'll need to pursue this independently. AND some instances of a cracked lens will be the fault of the customer.

2. The evidence I have is of course circumstantial - information and pictures gathered off the internet. However, it establishes a pattern. There is a thread on Samsung's own forum with hundreds of posts from people who have had the same experience. There are reports on newspaper websites and technology/industry websites and forums. There are pictures people have shared to show that they have had exactly the same damage to the glass and they all say they haven't dropped or otherwise damaged the phone. There seems to be a common theme with all the reports which is that the handset is in a case or bumper when it happens - as was the case with mine.
    That is not evidence of anything. And frankly there are many people in this world (I asusme) who are happy with the phone, who do not experience an issue, and who do not feel the need to post that on the internet. So you only see one side of things and it can appear to be more widespread than it really is....

You'll need some sort of independent fault report showing a manufacturing fault.

Irrespective of how many replacements I've had - two sent to Samsung which clearly they've accepted as faulty and one insurance replacement - this handset is faulty and it should be covered by the warranty. I had this handset less than 6 months when the glass broke, the burden of proof is on the seller so should I be approaching the insurance company that replaced the handset?
    Well yes.... but if you've had replacements then it doesn't reset! It is 6 months from the day you received the very first one! So the burden of proof is on you...

Same with the warranty.... not sure if you have a valid warranty or not though.

May be an idea to approach your insurance company.

Though I do find it funny how many phones you've had! Gone are the days of the Nokia 3210! Even throwing it off a 5 storey building didn't stop it from working! Slaves to technology we are .....
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 12th Jun 17, 9:59 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    The-Truth
    Samsung offer a two year warranty on their phones. See here.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has only been available since March 2016, so the OP's phone will still be within the manufacturer's warranty period.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    What on accidental damage?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 18,642 Posts
    • 15,518 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Originally posted by The-Truth
    Yes, the phone will still be within the warranty period whether it has suffered accidental damage or not.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Yes, the phone will still be within the warranty period whether it has suffered accidental damage or not.
    It does not state accidental damage

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/

Mobile Phone
    Information
    Ensure your device is running the latest software update and backup your device before a repair
    Warranty Service
    Repair completed to same unit via pick up / recorded delivery service
    Warranty Period
    24 Months

then in the text at the bottom it clear states

The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty may not apply to consumable items included with or in the product, which may have a reduced or no warranty period.

The warranty card and warranty information included with the product will state specific exclusions to the warranty (e.g. where a defect is caused by misuse or unauthorised repair of the product) which must be checked before requesting service under the warranty.
    so the OP will need to read the warranty info that come with the phone, but 4 phones in 12 months of a 24 month warranty can be seen as misuse
    Last edited by angryparcel; 12-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 18,642 Posts
    • 15,518 Thanks
    wealdroam
    It does not state accidental damage
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Sorry, but once again I need to correct you.

I pointed out to you that the phone would still be within the warranty period.

The-Truth then asked:
    Originally posted by The-Truth
    I replied stating that the phone would still be within the warranty period.

**Edited by Forum Team**
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 15-06-2017 at 9:15 PM.
    • newwave19
    • By newwave19 15th Jun 17, 1:17 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    newwave19
    Looking at the picture you provided, the glass from the camera lens looks like it was pushed inwards meaning that it received an impact (I could be wrong, but that's just what it looks like to me). If that was the case, its customer damage.

with regards to the warranty of the handset, it has a 2 year warranty, but that's only for manufactural faults, not for accidental damage. and just to clarify things from the last few posts above this one, if you have any accidental damage on your handset and it develops a manufactural fault, then you will first have to pay to fix any accidental damage first, before you will get it repaired under warranty.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 18,642 Posts
    • 15,518 Thanks
    wealdroam
    maybe you could point out on here http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/ where it mentions accidental damage being covered
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    No, sorry, can't do that.

I have never ascertained that accidental damage was covered.

Next.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    No, sorry, can't do that.

I have never ascertained that accidental damage was covered.

Next.
    so why on post 25 you stated you had to correct me again when i was right all along.

regardless of warranty accidental damage is not covered
    • wonkotsane
    • By wonkotsane 16th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wonkotsane
    It hasn't been damaged.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    It hasn't been damaged.
    but look at it from Samsungs view

You have had 2 or 3 replacements from Samsung and once by insurance ( samsung will be aware of the insurance replacement)
    so that is 3 or 4 (even you dont know) and now you want another replacement all within 12 months of a 24 month warranty.
    Any company will be looking at this as damage caused by the user with so many in a short period of time.
    • wonkotsane
    • By wonkotsane 16th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wonkotsane
    The replacements I had from Samsung were for known faults with the model of phone which they replaced under warranty without question. The one I replaced on the insurance I have openly admitted to them I dropped. The first two are irrelevant if someone was trying to establish doubt about my treatment of phones.

I've just got off the phone with the insurance company that replaced the phone and it was 6 months and 3 days ago so they don't want to know. So I guess I'll have to take Samsung to the small claims court. That's assuming they get round to providing me with a quote for the repair which they've failed to do every time I've asked.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    The replacements I had from Samsung were for known faults with the model of phone which they replaced under warranty without question. The one I replaced on the insurance I have openly admitted to them I dropped. The first two are irrelevant if someone was trying to establish doubt about my treatment of phones.

I've just got off the phone with the insurance company that replaced the phone and it was 6 months and 3 days ago so they don't want to know. So I guess I'll have to take Samsung to the small claims court. That's assuming they get round to providing me with a quote for the repair which they've failed to do every time I've asked.
    regardless on why they were replaced, you are asking them for a 5 replacement in 12 months, their system will flag you up. if you are going to take them to small claims then why are you waiting for a quote, just make sure you know exactly how many replacements you have had and that the evidence you have is all internet hearsay and gossip. this way you claim will most likely fail
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 16th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Al Ross
    The photo points to impact/customer damage you will have no chance of a warranty repair I’m afraid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

4,351Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin