Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yorkie18
    • By yorkie18 11th Jun 17, 7:12 AM
    • 717Posts
    • 5,194Thanks
    yorkie18
    Bath or Shower?
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:12 AM
    Bath or Shower? 11th Jun 17 at 7:12 AM
    My husband and I currently own (and live) in our first home which we bought 10 years ago, a little one bedroom starter home. We are planning on moving this year and we are in the process of doing cosmetic renovations but we also need to replace the bathroom. This is where we are having a bit of debate.

I think we should have a bath (with a shower over) in there but he thinks we should make more of the space and just have a shower unit fitted instead.

What are other people's opinions? If you were buying a starter home would it make a difference to you whether it had a bath or a shower?

I know whoever buys it can change it but I want it to be as enticing to buyers as possible.

All opinions welcome!
    Be Kind, Work Hard, Stay Humble, Smile Often, Keep Honest, Stay Loyal, Travel When Possible, Never Stop Learning, Be Thankful Always and Love
Page 2
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jun 17, 7:10 PM
    • 59,237 Posts
    • 345,939 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'd choose the one with the bath before one with a shower. If there's room for a bath it'd be a shame to waste the chance....
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,290 Thanks
    another casualty
    Fwiw , I just bought a flat with a pretty grim bathroom . I know you're planning to sell, but I'll just say this in case it may come in useful.
    The bathroom is a pretty pokey affair with minimum head height etc
    It was a bath/ shower . I was gonna go for a shower only .
    I'm glad that I couldn't in the end as I have the best of both worlds.
    If I sell on , it would be fine for single professionals , or mummy and baby.
    I got a builder to do the whole bathroom ,gutting out the old and replacing everything . The only thing that I find is the water pressure isn't great and showers are far quicker. My friends love my new bathroom as do I .
    Good luck in what you decide
    • EconomicsGirl
    • By EconomicsGirl 12th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    EconomicsGirl
    Definitely a bath with shower over.
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 12th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    illusionek
    I absolutely hate bath with shower over. If you were selling family house I would guess bath is a must but I think 1 bed would attract young professionals. I personally would prefer proper shower but to be honest I think either option will work.
    • yorkie18
    • By yorkie18 13th Jun 17, 3:35 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 5,194 Thanks
    yorkie18
    Thanks for your opinions guys. I would leave it as it is but an ex family member fitted it and messed it up so it definitely needs something doing with it.

If we were staying here I would definitely have a shower cubicle put in but it's interesting to hear that people wouldn't be put off with whatever we decide in most cases.

With regards to the door opening outwards, we currently have a bi fold doors on the bathroom which works very well for space saving.

Thanks again
    Be Kind, Work Hard, Stay Humble, Smile Often, Keep Honest, Stay Loyal, Travel When Possible, Never Stop Learning, Be Thankful Always and Love
    • coowee
    • By coowee 13th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    coowee
    Bath or Shower
    For years I had wanted a shower and I finally got it when re-newing our bathroom into a shower room.

I can absolutely say this is the best dicision I have ever made.
    The man who fitted out the wet room/shower room said that the majority of younger people are wanting this as they have busy lives, plus the elderly are finding it much easier as they get older.

My room has a built-in shower bench with a surround type shower curtain leaving plenty of room for anyone who wishes to stand or sit and a dry area which is for the loo and sink.
    • jpowell123
    • By jpowell123 13th Jun 17, 11:45 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jpowell123
    It's been years since I've had a proper tub bath but I would definitely have a bath/shower installed in my house. Although I don't take baths often every once in a while its absolutely awesome. Throw in some bath bombs and you're in for a treat as well!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

474Posts Today

4,636Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin