Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yorkie18
    • By yorkie18 11th Jun 17, 7:12 AM
    • 724Posts
    • 5,215Thanks
    yorkie18
    Bath or Shower?
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:12 AM
    Bath or Shower? 11th Jun 17 at 7:12 AM
    My husband and I currently own (and live) in our first home which we bought 10 years ago, a little one bedroom starter home. We are planning on moving this year and we are in the process of doing cosmetic renovations but we also need to replace the bathroom. This is where we are having a bit of debate.

I think we should have a bath (with a shower over) in there but he thinks we should make more of the space and just have a shower unit fitted instead.

What are other people's opinions? If you were buying a starter home would it make a difference to you whether it had a bath or a shower?

I know whoever buys it can change it but I want it to be as enticing to buyers as possible.

All opinions welcome!
    Be Kind, Work Hard, Stay Humble, Smile Often, Keep Honest, Stay Loyal, Travel When Possible, Never Stop Learning, Be Thankful Always and Love
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 11th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,876 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    I am a shower person, can not remember when I last had a bath, I have often thought of taking the bath out of our bathroom and making it a shower room.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 11th Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 10,285 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    I always shower, but I wouldn't buy a house that didn't have a bath.
    My first flat only had a shower cabinet and even though I rarely bathe I really missed the bath. Never again.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 11th Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Aced2016
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    A bath!! I turned down 3 houses solely on that basis ! As have friends of mine.

But it's personal preference, you'll get buyers who don't care and others who will. Personally I'd go for shower over bath and keeps everyone happy.
    • taxi97w
    • By taxi97w 11th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    taxi97w
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    I mostly shower, but love the occasional bath.
    I would not buy a house that didn't have a bath.
    ...more dollars than sense.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 11th Jun 17, 8:18 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    I Love comps
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:18 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:18 AM
    I have showers during the week and a bath at weekends, because I have more time.

I would never buy a home without a bath or shower.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 11th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    A bath with shower over would appeal to most people.
    My wife and I hate bath's and had it removed when we bought this house, we fitted the largest shower cubicle we could.
    To some of the other replies about not buying a house with no bath, if there are pipes and drains in the room the cost of fitting a bath in relation to the price of a house is very small and would not put me off if the house was where I wanted.
    • lauraland
    • By lauraland 11th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 18,912 Thanks
    lauraland
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    Same as above - if you are selling then you are doing the bathroom to suit buyers and not yourselves. A bathroom with a shower over bath would be more appealing to young families than a walk in shower, but as yours is a starter home then you could probably get away with just having a shower as you are aimed at a different market.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the bath.
    I got ham but i'm not a hamster.....
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 11th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    A starter home especially a 1 bedroom I'd say do what fits the room best

A spacious open wetroom will sell the property over a bath room with a bath and no floor space

Given this is what I do day in day out, 99.9% of my customers would go for a shower room
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 11th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    50% of buyers will go, OMG! no bath and walk away
    50% of buyers will go, OK shower over bath, that's what we expected
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 11th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Depends who you think will buy your property.

If it's a young couple with a child, then a shower is no use. You need a bath if you have young children.

For adults, it's probably less important, but if you can have a shower over a bath that would be the best option.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 11th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    boliston
    i think shower only is best for a studio or very small flat but shower over bath is standard for anything else
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 11th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Another point to consider is whether you could change the door to open outwards rather than inwards as this usually gives more space inside the room.
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 12th Jun 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    I personally hate baths, sitting in dirty water and having soap suds coat on the skin when you get out does not appeal to me. I prefer showers as the dirt and soap gets washed off the body.

However I think having only a shower available would be a mistake if it already has space for a bath. Some people seem to enjoy sitting in their own dirt. It must be earthy. lol

In your position I would stick with a bath with shower over.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 12th Jun 17, 8:18 AM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Many people prefer a shower, however a family with kids will almost certainly need a bath - especially if the kids are young. So ideally you want both a bath and a shower, to appeal to the widest range of buyers. Having said that, given that it's a one bed starter home, it could be argued that potential buyers are unlikely to have kids ......

That said, why do you want/need to replace the bathroom suite ? Would it be possible to just tart up the bathroom cosmetically ? Part of me thinks that you may be better off just smartening it up a bit, but don't make any major changes. Whoever buys the house can always replace the suite if they want to, which needn't cost much in the grand scheme of things. I'm just thinking you may spend the money on changing it, only for the new buyers to go ahead and change it anyway.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    Slinky
    We're buying a house which has a wetroom, only a couple of years old, but we'll be putting a bath back in. May convert a bedroom to an ensuite bathroom with a bath and shower. If so will probably leave the wetroom, but stick in a shower screen to cut down the mess.

In an ideal world, the wetroom would perhaps have been a deal breaker for us, but we can afford to change it, and given we were looking in a very limited area, we weren't able to be that fussy.
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 12th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    I could not buy a house without a bath and a separate poker shower.

I spend too much of the winter months rolling around in a muddy field with 29 other men not to have the luxury of warm bath!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 18,795 Posts
    • 43,278 Thanks
    peachyprice
    This house only had a shower when we moved in, we managed to live with it for 6 months, after that debacle I wouldn't ever buy a house with just a shower again.

We now have a P shaped bath with shower over.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 12th Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Bath with shower over for me too or just a bath.
    • ukjoel
    • By ukjoel 12th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    ukjoel
    If its just a shower then the cost to replace with a bath later is under £1k and spending £1k shouldnt put someone off buying a house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

2,011Users online

Martin's Twitter